Iowa/Minnesota DI Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iowa/Minnesota DI Schools

Interesting story by Pat Reusse. http://www.startribune.com/four-d-i-...elp/363433491/

I would love to see SDSU and USD have a similar format of maybe playing at the Pentagon or Premier Center and rotating opponents, but not playing each other.

Re: Iowa/Minnesota DI Schools

The discovery of a constant opponent might be the biggest step. Finding a regional team(s) willing to travel every year to Sioux Falls would be a large task. UNI probably is not willing to be one of those teams to risk a road(neutral site) Summit loss even though they are an ideal regional team. Since we play DII schools already, USF and Augie would be likely opponents. Currently, the Pentagon games against FGCU and MTSU will be more favored than the city college teams. The lack of DI teams in South Dakota makes it unlikely the Iowa format can be duplicated where another pair of teams would be inserted on a regular basis. Maybe the Pentagon crew or Premier Center could coax some teams into an arrangement that would supplant their current situation with the Pentagon.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Big state schools which are based in the biggest city of that state, and therefore competing with the pro sports there, are actually rather rare. Most "flagship" schools of professional-sports-market states are in "college towns" either just outside the big city of the state (Boulder, Lawrence, Ann Arbor) or a couple of hours from the major metro area (many SEC schools, Purdue/Indiana, etc., etc.). Washington and Utah immediately come to mind as P5 schools which are the flagship institutions of their state and are in the major city, which also hosts pro sports, but in each case there are plenty of other in-state D-I competing institutions.

Minnesota, as the only D-I school in a pro sports state, and in the largest city of that state, is an anomaly. It is, as far as I can think off the top of my head, unique. That is, IMHO, part of its problem--it has no competition in its market of college sports in metro MSP. The U of M doesn't have to do much of anything to keep the college sports fan, because there aren't any D-I alternatives (no, D-I hockey doesn't count, not really). In short, the U of M athletic department is fat and lazy due to lack of meaningful competition.

Elsewhere . . . SDSU/USD playing basketball vs. SF D-II schools in SF? That's a steep hill to try to climb, IMHO. Now, if you want to put together some kind of Chaminade or Alaska Shootout-type deal where one or the other SF D-II schools is one of four or eight teams in a tournament in SF, that's might be something, and you might even talk SDSU, USD, and NDSU into rotating through the field to get home or reasonably-near-home games (but it would probably have to be an eight-team field to minimize the chance of the SD D-I and D-II schools meeting).
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
        Big state schools which are based in the biggest city of that state, and therefore competing with the pro sports there, are actually rather rare. Most "flagship" schools of professional-sports-market states are in "college towns" either just outside the big city of the state (Boulder, Lawrence, Ann Arbor) or a couple of hours from the major metro area (many SEC schools, Purdue/Indiana, etc., etc.). Washington and Utah immediately come to mind as P5 schools which are the flagship institutions of their state and are in the major city, which also hosts pro sports, but in each case there are plenty of other in-state D-I competing institutions.

Minnesota, as the only D-I school in a pro sports state, and in the largest city of that state, is an anomaly. It is, as far as I can think off the top of my head, unique. That is, IMHO, part of its problem--it has no competition in its market of college sports in metro MSP. The U of M doesn't have to do much of anything to keep the college sports fan, because there aren't any D-I alternatives (no, D-I hockey doesn't count, not really). In short, the U of M athletic department is fat and lazy due to lack of meaningful competition.

Elsewhere . . . SDSU/USD playing basketball vs. SF D-II schools in SF? That's a steep hill to try to climb, IMHO. Now, if you want to put together some kind of Chaminade or Alaska Shootout-type deal where one or the other SF D-II schools is one of four or eight teams in a tournament in SF, that's might be something, and you might even talk SDSU, USD, and NDSU into rotating through the field to get home or reasonably-near-home games (but it would probably have to be an eight-team field to minimize the chance of the SD D-I and D-II schools meeting).
        The Gophers need a kick in the pants somehow. Really need some D1 competition from in-state, but that would seriously impact recruiting from the Dakota schools.

Comment

I listen to KFAN in Minneapolis a lot and it is funny how the Gophers get poked fun at. Obviously, they've had some serious administration issues as of late and that is unfortunate. Other than hockey, it is amazing how they have struggled to become competitive. Their football team is improving and I think you can point to TCF Stadium in being a big part of that. Their basketball program is a mess. Gopher fans love 'The Barn" and heck, I do too. It's a great place to watch a game with an old-school feel to it. Old school feel? I think I just put lipstick on a pig! It is old. Really old, antiquated, and completely non-impressive to a recruit.

They need to step up and build a new facility. Look at what Nebraska just did. That place is a palace. Now, they haven't become a power yet but it helps get them on the radar. There are many others that are that way as well. Tradition and that old-school feel works great for top programs like Kansas and Duke. They're good and always will be. If you want to move up to being a contending team, you better have plenty of lipstick for that pig!

There is enough talent in the state. They just need to give them reasons to stay there.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
            I listen to KFAN in Minneapolis a lot and it is funny how the Gophers get poked fun at. Obviously, they've had some serious administration issues as of late and that is unfortunate. Other than hockey, it is amazing how they have struggled to become competitive. Their football team is improving and I think you can point to TCF Stadium in being a big part of that. Their basketball program is a mess. Gopher fans love 'The Barn" and heck, I do too. It's a great place to watch a game with an old-school feel to it. Old school feel? I think I just put lipstick on a pig! It is old. Really old, antiquated, and completely non-impressive to a recruit.

They need to step up and build a new facility. Look at what Nebraska just did. That place is a palace. Now, they haven't become a power yet but it helps get them on the radar. There are many others that are that way as well. Tradition and that old-school feel works great for top programs like Kansas and Duke. They're good and always will be. If you want to move up to being a contending team, you better have plenty of lipstick for that pig!

There is enough talent in the state. They just need to give them reasons to stay there.

SUPERBUNNY
            Minnesota: Could be worse. Could be Mizzou.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Gophers are an unmitigated diaster as of a program. As a lifelong bb/fb fan I've seen plenty of lows and very few highs (that don't get erased as a result of an NCAA investigation) with the Gophers. Their AD just grabbed ass and tried to raise money and got fired. The FB coach while inspirational was a huge risk and now his replacement get's hired because well "who else could we get". Their BB coach is not someone I'd want at Augustana and he's a D1 head coach.

The thing I love about SDSU/NDSu is their commitment to winning but doing it in a classy way. No scandals to speak of, quality coaches and staff with tenure and the respect of their colleagues. Don't compare the colleges around here with Mn, it's an absolute disservice to everything building in Brookings/Fargo.

And The Barn is a four letter word for sure. Complete dump.
              Nothing better than "motorboating" the Gophers!

Comment

Working...
              X