UNI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UNI

UNI Men knocked off #1 North Carolina 71-67 in Cedar Falls in front of sellout of 7000. Huge mid-major win. Coaching legend Roy Williams did not take the mic after the game to praise the atmosphere.

Re: UNI

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
    UNI Men knocked off #1 North Carolina 71-67 in Cedar Falls in front of sellout of 7000. Huge mid-major win. Coaching legend Roy Williams did not take the mic after the game to praise the atmosphere.
    nor should he have. mens and womens sports are two different things. watch espn sportscenter. how much time is spent recapping womens bb compared to mens. not much, how often do you see all the womens scores scrolled, not often, usually on the one day a week womens games are featured. the rest of the time just the top 25. besides the top elite programs how often do you see packed arenas for womens games. not often. so when an elite team and coach leave the comfort of their arena to come play at a place theyve never been to and dont know much about knowing how little attention is payed to their sport and walk into an arena filled to the rafters with loud fans who know her sport and appreciate the action on the court and give the teams a standing ovation at the end yea as an ambassador and promoter of her sport she had every right to do what she did.

Comment

Why are you implying that the coaches after every sell out game should grab the mic and thank the crowd just because Muffet SPONTANEOUSLY DID IT TO SHOW HER APPRECIATION.This is about the 3rd time now you've done that.Why do you have to put ulterior motives to her kind gesture? You obviously don't like her or ND, we get that.

Comment

I'm a huge UNC fan and maybe I'm the only one that feels this way but, I think Roy has done less with more talent (both at KU and UNC) then any other coach in the history of mankind. I expect this UNC team to lose in the 2nd round. (If they win it all I will print and eat this thread reel.)
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          I'm a huge UNC fan and maybe I'm the only one that feels this way but, I think Roy has done less with more talent (both at KU and UNC) then any other coach in the history of mankind. I expect this UNC team to lose in the 2nd round. (If they win it all I will print and eat this thread reel.)
          This matches my own observations as well as conversations I've had with people that are very knowledgeable of basketball. He seems like a great recruiter, but someone that doesn't have the XOs/scheme acumen that many other top tier college coaches.
          Originally posted by JackFan96
          Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
            This matches my own observations as well as conversations I've had with people that are very knowledgeable of basketball. He seems like a great recruiter, but someone that doesn't have the XOs/scheme acumen that many other top tier college coaches.
            Good friend of mine is a high school basketball coach and a Jayhawk fan, he was ecstatic when Roy took the UNC job. I absolutely see why now.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

He has over 700 wins, 2 National Championships, 7 final fours, and 10 or 12 conference championships.

I think ol' Roy knows a little about x's and O's.

Comment

The scandal stype stuff at unc probably aren't helping. College basketball this year seems wide open. Unc doesn't seem like a great #1 like kentucky was last year. As a duke fan I am worried that the freshman can't take roles they need too. Acc should be interesting race this year. I am not really surprised when a mid major beats a high ranked team. Didn't uni give unc a good run when barnes was at unc?
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

UNC losing to UNI at NIowa is certainly an upset. But not as big of one, as many would believe.

UNI is a solid team, good program, and had success in the tournament (and recently). Had a GREAT team last season.

Add to the fact that UNC's best player and floor leader, Marcus Paige wasn't playing. Yeah, I can see upsets. Especially early in the season.

Anyone remember Canisius?

The Tar Heels have a good team, but like goon said, not great, and are certainly beatable.

Roy is a fine coach. Probably his biggest failure, is that he hasn't gotten any of the "one and done" guys that Kentucky and more recently Duke has gotten a number of. You've got to think the academic scandal that goon brings up is also part of this.

Which is kind of ironic.

If you like sports books, I'd reccommend Roy's book, "Hard Work". Pretty good insight into the man. He grew up poor, and from nothing. Definately a good story, and he's a good man.

Back to point at hand. Yes, it was an upset. But, UNI will be good. and UNC will be good too.

Comment

Working...
                  X