Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pretty shocking NCAA financial numbers for our friends who wear red

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Can someone explain to me again why USD and UND even try to be in D1? These number are pretty embarrassing and I don't like USD funneling my tax dollar to a failed athletic program..... Pretty obvious that NDSU and SDSU are much more responsible fiscal stewards and I am sure SDSU will drive their number down with fixing the football stadium issue.

Sorry for the typo in the title. Appreciate if a moderator could fix that.

Re: Pretty shocking NCAA financial numbers for our friends who where red

Originally posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Can someone explain to me again why USD and UND even try to be in D1? These number are pretty embarrassing and I don't like USD funneling my tax dollar to a failed athletic program..... Pretty obvious that NDSU and SDSU are much more responsible fiscal stewards and I am sure SDSU will drive their number down with fixing the football stadium issue.

Sorry for the typo in the title. Appreciate if a moderator could fix that.
    I don't understand the subsidy thing. I thought both the South Dakota Schools got state aid for utilities on the facilities. I don't think its half of the budget at SDSU.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      I don't understand the subsidy thing. I thought both the South Dakota Schools got state aid for utilities on the facilities. I don't think its half of the budget at SDSU.
      Not enough of an expert on this stuff, but I am sure someone here understands it more. The way I understood it, and I could be completely wrong, this it the amount of money coming from activity fees and the general money pool at the colleges.

Comment

The shocking numbers to me are for Summit teams like IUPUI and IPFW. IUPUI managed a grand total of $46,000 in ticket sales. IPFW? $110,000. Neither has football, but seriously. That is unbelievable. USD and WIU, with football, managed just under $500,000 in ticket sales. Again, pretty sad.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

1st of all I'd like to know what consist of a subsidy before I throw too many stones

2nd of all I'd like to know where SDSU was 5 years ago (comparing apples to apples with time during transition)

However since SDSU- and USD are from the same state it is somewhat stagering that they are 17.5% higher when it comes to subsidies

Comment

joeboo22,

If you click on the school name it will open a window showing you the last 10 years. What is shocking to me is USD received just over $9 Million from school funds and SDSU received $6 Million.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
              joeboo22,

If you click on the school name it will open a window showing you the last 10 years. What is shocking to me is USD received just over $9 Million from school funds and SDSU received $6 Million.
              Yes, this certainly appears "stone worthy". While I acknowledge that SDSU is also much higher than NDSU's subsidy, in my mind they have options that will help fix this; namely a new football stadium would should greatly enhance revenue at SDSU. What the heck is USD doing? I just don't see how a new basketball arena alone can fix this dumpster fire. They need to implode their horrible football stadium and until they confront that reality, they may as well move to D2. My goodness, 1 million more in ticket revenue at SDSU? More than 3 million less than NDSU?

Comment

Yes, this certainly appears "stone worthy". While I acknowledge that SDSU is also much higher than NDSU's subsidy, in my mind they have options that will help fix this; namely a new football stadium would should greatly enhance revenue at SDSU. What the heck is USD doing? I just don't see how a new basketball arena alone can fix this dumpster fire. They need to implode their horrible football stadium and until they confront that reality, they may as well move to D2. My goodness, 1 million more in ticket revenue at SDSU? More than 3 million less than NDSU?
                Maybe that explains why NDSU Fans had to buy William Penn tickets in order to see their home team play.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                  Maybe that explains why NDSU Fans had to buy William Penn tickets in order to see their home team play.
                  Crazy part is I thought that was completely rational even if annoying (and the second time they did that to us). The part that made no sense was completely refusing to sell us tickets to our game with them after that offer thinking their own fans would somehow snatch them up. They make Grand Forks decision making look sane.

Comment

As far as the USD subsidy goes, doesn't the state pump in a bunch of money for the Dakota Dome upkeep? I don't know if there is any truth to that but it seems I had heard/read it somewhere years ago.
                    "The purpose of life is not to be happy - but to matter, to be productive, to be useful, to have it make some difference that you have lived at all."
                    -Leo Rosten

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                      joeboo22,

I saw that and I agree, I'm just not quite sure A. what consist of school funds, and B. what are they being used for?

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                        I saw that and I agree, I'm just not quite sure A. what consist of school funds, and B. what are they being used for?
                        Tuition money, general fund money or other miscellaneous school related revenue directed to athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                          As far as the USD subsidy goes, doesn't the state pump in a bunch of money for the Dakota Dome upkeep? I don't know if there is any truth to that but it seems I had heard/read it somewhere years ago.
                          As a SD taxpayer, I sure as hell hope not. That facility needs to be imploded. Crazy part is I seem to be the only SD resident who realizes just how horrible it is. I mention this to others and they think I am nuts!

Comment

Originally posted by EQguy View Post
                            This is correct. I don't have any recent figures but suspect it's still going on. The State pays some of Frost's utilities as well.

Comment

As a SD taxpayer, I sure as hell hope not. That facility needs to be imploded. Crazy part is I seem to be the only SD resident who realizes just how horrible it is. I mention this to others and they think I am nuts!
                              As sad as it may be, a lot of the people in the state look at the dome as a destination. It's used for the HS football championships. This year both my nephews played in the championship game. My family was excited about going to "the dome" and getting to play there. The dome is looked as many as a reward for making the state championship game. Most just don't realize it's just not a great football facility.

Comment

Working...
                              X