Big Sky and FBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Sky and FBS

Is there any credence to the speculation on the Sioux Sports Forum board that the Big Sky may decide to go FBS? Or is that just tired old news from Bluesky Publishing?

Re: Big Sky and FBS

Originally posted by RochJack69 View Post
    Is there any credence to the speculation on the Sioux Sports Forum board that the Big Sky may decide to go FBS? Or is that just tired old news from Bluesky Publishing?
    There would be a number of Bison fans whose heads would explode if that would happen while the Bison are still FCS.

Comment

They've been saying that for years

Comment

I've learned to not say "that won't happen" when it comes to many things especially conference movement. However I don't think it makes much sense. I understand that some teams fan bases think that they can make more money, blah blah blah, and the exposure, and we can compete, etc. However its another what 20 scholarships? How much more with recruitment, how much more with travel and then you get to go play in the Hoboken State Bowl in Michigan once every 4 years and talk about how good you are and hang a banner in your stadium and talk bout that one year you were decent.

Unless you are geographically in an area (by the coast), or you have a school name that will garner attention (some of the Northeast schools), I just don't see it making any sense. The 1-AA is really solid football, with nice complexes and decent financials. I guess I'd rather see that then the University of New Mexico playing in front of a few thousand who stink every year.

Comment

Originally posted by mango4 View Post
          They've been saying that for years
          This guy speaks the truth. While I was still in MT there were rumblings of this every so often.

That fact of the matter at least for the MT schools is they can't afford to make this jump. I suspect a lot of other schools are also in this boat in the Big Sky.

Comment

Pretty sure a whole conference can't move and before moving up to FBS one has to have a conference to join. That's what I seem to recall from lots of message board reading. See signature for grains of salt.
            "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
            "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

If Siouxvolley said it, there is none. Just another one of his many bizarre theories.

Honestly I don't think any schools in the Big Sky can afford it and then there is the whole issue with the rules stating you need an invite from a conference.

Comment

None. UND can't even fill their dome. Not a chance they'll go FBS.
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  None. UND can't even fill their dome. Not a chance they'll go FBS.
                  That doesn't even get into the fact that if they filled said "dome" that there would only be 12k people in it....Not sure how that would work in the FBS world.

That said we are talking about a school that loses more money on women's hockey then they spend on men's basketball, they live in a very bizarre world up there.

Comment

As has been said, this is all coming from a single guy. He currently posts as SiouxVolley on siouxsports and used to post as star2city. He also posts on CSNBBS as NoDak. Take his posts with a mountain-sized grain of salt. His MO is to throw dozens of theories against the wall. Invariably a couple of them happen. It causes some people over at ss to listen to him because they forget all the theories that never panned out. He's said the Summit is dead something like a dozen times already. He's borderline fixated on NDSU, so most of his theories involve NDSU looking bad and UND looking good. In this case, he wants the Summit to crumble and NDSU forced to come begging, hat in hand, to the Big Sky.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                      As has been said, this is all coming from a single guy. He currently posts as SiouxVolley on siouxsports and used to post as star2city. He also posts on CSNBBS as NoDak. Take his posts with a mountain-sized grain of salt. His MO is to throw dozens of theories against the wall. Invariably a couple of them happen. It causes some people over at ss to listen to him because they forget all the theories that never panned out. He's said the Summit is dead something like a dozen times already. He's borderline fixated on NDSU, so most of his theories involve NDSU looking bad and UND looking good. In this case, he wants the Summit to crumble and NDSU forced to come begging, hat in hand, to the Big Sky.
                      Correction, it's Slummit. His obsession with NDSU is bizarre.

Comment

IF the Summit ever crumbled (highly unlikely, btw), I'd see the xDSU's joining the Missouri Valley Conference before ever joining the BSC (Emphasis on the BS). We have enough good working relationship with their members that it would probably work out.
                        I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Oh well, would just be another FBS conference for the Bison to humiliate.

Comment

13 posts about unsupported speculation on a Big Sky message board? Have some pie!

Comment

Is there any NCAA Report which shows how many football scholarships are funded by each FCS member? I heard bits and pieces about some of the eastern schools having as few as 6 scholarships. If such a report does exist, it would show currently how each member of the Big Sky is funding their programs. I heard that until recently SUU had only 40-45 football scholarships. If such a report does exist, it would seem to tell you a great deal about this notion of going FBS.

Comment

Working...
                              X