Changes in the Big 12?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changes in the Big 12?

Just wondering, and no haven't read anything.

But does anyone else forsee the Big 12 adding two more schools ASAP?

Baylor and TCU got left out of the "final four".

Ohio State Played in a Championship game, and the Big 12 doesn't have one anymore, because they only have 10 schools.

Just did a quick search, and did read that Big 12 officials met with Cincinatti, and that BYU may be of interest.
    (These come from this article): http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ti-memphis-byu

I do forsee SOMETHING happening there. They are the only one of the "power 5" without a conference Championship game.

If schools do decide to move, it would continue to effect the "smaller schools" like NDSU, SDSU, etc...

It will be interesting to see keep an eye on.

Re: Changes in the Big 12?

I was kind of wondering why ESPN now has SEC games and "Longhorn Network" games now besides their ESPN games. Bet they're paying pretty good money for that or willing to provide the website to draw in more viewers or get in on the "exclusive" viewing rights. That must be why we can't access those games unless we subscribe.

My question is, how many subscriptions do they think people are going to put up with if each of the P5 gets their own networks and expects money to allow people viewing rights.How much of the family budget will get directed toward "sports" before the brakes are applied? Guess the adage " there's nothing free anymore " has it's merits. I'm getting to the point where I don't care what happens in other conferences and just care about the Jacks. Everyone to their own little "fiefdom". Greed will ruin everything eventually, we are just witnessing the beginning.

Comment

I remember saying when I had my big satellite for television that I would not be paying all that money for TV. It did not take long to change that notion.. I used to watch a bunch of free sports. I am not sure if you can get the shopping network for free anymore.
      Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
        I was kind of wondering why ESPN now has SEC games and "Longhorn Network" games now besides their ESPN games. Bet they're paying pretty good money for that or willing to provide the website to draw in more viewers or get in on the "exclusive" viewing rights. That must be why we can't access those games unless we subscribe.

My question is, how many subscriptions do they think people are going to put up with if each of the P5 gets their own networks and expects money to allow people viewing rights.How much of the family budget will get directed toward "sports" before the brakes are applied? Guess the adage " there's nothing free anymore " has it's merits. I'm getting to the point where I don't care what happens in other conferences and just care about the Jacks. Everyone to their own little "fiefdom". Greed will ruin everything eventually, we are just witnessing the beginning.
        ESPN runs and is a partial owner of both the Longhorn and SEC networks. I don't know how much of the Longhorn Network that ESPN owns, but I do know they own 80% of the SEC Network. Of the conference networks, only the PAC-12 owns their network outright(FOX owns 51% of the Big Ten Network). Even though the names change, it's still mostly the big four(FOX, CBS, Comcast(NBC), & Disney(ABC)).

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
          ESPN runs and is a partial owner of both the Longhorn and SEC networks. I don't know how much of the Longhorn Network that ESPN owns, but I do know they own 80% of the SEC Network. Of the conference networks, only the PAC-12 owns their network outright(FOX owns 51% of the Big Ten Network). Even though the names change, it's still mostly the big four(FOX, CBS, Comcast(NBC), & Disney(ABC)).
          Thanks Hammersmith, apparently, they're going to get their investment back and a whole lot more, at the viewers expense of course. SEC selling out for only 20%...wow, must cost a lot to start a network if they went for this deal.....Big Ten way smarter. CBS,NBC and ABC still have to pay their competition(ESPN and FOX) to air the games, I'm sure they don't care for that too much. Let ESPN take it all over, then declare them a monopoly and force them to allow competition or break them up like they did to AT&T long ago.

Comment

Thanks Hammersmith, apparently, they're going to get their investment back and a whole lot more, at the viewers expense of course. SEC selling out for only 20%...wow, must cost a lot to start a network if they went for this deal.....Big Ten way smarter.
            Actually, the SEC doesn't own the remaining 20%; that is owned by Hearst. I suspect there's an annual payment to the SEC rather than ownership.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              Actually, the SEC doesn't own the remaining 20%; that is owned by Hearst. I suspect there's an annual payment to the SEC rather than ownership.
              Too confusing to me (not a business man), I just see more and more money flying out of my pocket is all,thanks again Hammersmith.

Comment

Too confusing to me (not a business man), I just see more and more money flying out of my pocket is all,thanks again Hammersmith.
                I'm glad you brought it up. I've been meaning to look it up the ownership of those networks but kept putting it off. Your comment got me off my butt(figuratively. not literally).

Comment

Didn't ESPN pay like a billion dollars to get the SEC? I'm not a businessman either and didn't understand the details, but I swore that was the number thrown out there. If you watch College Gameday, there can't be any doubt that they go waaaaaaaay overboard promoting the SEC games.
                  One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Comment

Originally posted by ringthebells View Post
                    Didn't ESPN pay like a billion dollars to get the SEC? I'm not a businessman either and didn't understand the details, but I swore that was the number thrown out there. If you watch College Gameday, there can't be any doubt that they go waaaaaaaay overboard promoting the SEC games.
                    I couldn't quickly find if the number had actually been released(leaked), but figure something in the neighborhood of $5 billion over 20 years*. The old deal was between $2.25 billion over 15 years, and stories were saying this new deal was going to raise the payment to each school by 50% over the old deal. That's $35ish million per year for each school.

CBS gets first dibs on one FB game each week(existing deal); ESPN(& SEC Net.) gets everything else.

*which apparently is way less than they paid for the FBS championship series: $7.3B over 10 years

Comment

Working...
                    X