Killed: UAB Football

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Killed: UAB Football

The rumors are true: U of Alabama Birmingham just killed its football program. Here's the story from ESPN:
    http://espn.go.com/college-football/...otball-program

Shouldn't there be some consideration to following more of the FCS model and preserve the program? Conference USA wouldn't allow it, I suppose, but killing the program may invite a boot in the butt from the conference in all other sports.

Maybe somebody should tell UND the team name "Blazers" is available.

Re: Killed: UAB Football

Just when things looked to settle down, another round of shuffling could make things interesting for the lower FBS and FCS schools because of this. Does CUSA call up a Sun Belt team, or does CUSA call up JMU? If the Sun Belt loses a member, they are so far down the totem pole that they must look to FCS. EKU wants it, but I don't think they have a chance. JMU doesn't want the Sun Belt. Missouri State is often talked about, them leaving the MVFC would sure make things interesting in the Valley. But it would bring us back down to a full round robin schedule. If MSU were to leave, I hope that doesn't make other schools jumpy. What if the Sun Belt wants to add more than one? I wish the NCAA would put the move up moratorium back in place for a while, following all these conference changes are ruining the sport.

Comment

UAB's president just kowtowed to the all powerful Crimson Tide... most players on Alabama's team couldn't spell "SEC" if you spotted them the "S" and the "C"
      I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        UAB's president just kowtowed to the all powerful Crimson Tide... most players on Alabama's team couldn't spell "SEC" if you spotted them the "S" and the "C"
        Hmm. This seems ignorant.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

This should be interesting to watch. Those who have ESPN marked as a favorite will no doubt keep us posted on what happens at UAB.

Comment

UAB football rises from the dead: REINSTATED (sources -- not in the story linked below -- suggest they may try to have a football team ready for 2016).
            Link to the official story on the UAB site: http://www.uabsports.com/genrel/060115aab.html

Comment

Working...
            X