Frozen Four

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frozen Four

I'm not a hockey fan and that may be due primarily to having had no exposure to the sport as a kid and having no knowledge of how the game is played as an adult. But, I do have admiration for a team that is one of the best at what they do and this year in hockey it's UND, the U of Minnesota, Boston College and Union College.

I was not familiar with Union College. Wikipedia reports it's DI in hockey but otherwise NCAA DIII in all other sports; about 2200 undergrad students; located in Schenectady, NY.

I guess if I had to pick a team, I'll go with the Gophers.

Re: Frozen Four

Both have some great alumni in hockey. If you want to read about hockey in Minnesota, look up Warroads, MN. It has a population of 1,800 people. Each of the mens and women's national teams had a player from there including Oshie who went to UND. Overall, 5 have played in the NHL, 6 went to Olympics on the mens team including 5 who are in the US Hockey HOF and they had 1 go to Olympics on the women's team.

As far as who is going to win, I think Minnesota is going to win. UND is rated #13 while Minnesota is #2 and UND is probably the weakest of the 4 teams left.
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      Both have some great alumni in hockey. If you want to read about hockey in Minnesota, look up Warroads, MN. It has a population of 1,800 people. Each of the mens and women's national teams had a player from there including Oshie who went to UND. Overall, 5 have played in the NHL, 6 went to Olympics on the mens team including 5 who are in the US Hockey HOF and they had 1 go to Olympics on the women's team.

As far as who is going to win, I think Minnesota is going to win. UND is rated #13 while Minnesota is #2 and UND is probably the weakest of the 4 teams left.
      UND has been playing for their lives since the second round of their conference tourney(they were the last team in the NCAA's, and needed two other schools to lose their final game). Don't know how much longer they can keep this up.

Comment

A friend at work is a huge hockey fan and like U of M chances, and hate UND hockey maybe even more then NDSU fans.

The only hockey I know was at the SDSU club hockey games at the old larson ice rink. those were crazy good times. We use to bring the Rooter King even to cheer them on. I dont know the rules or anything but when its cheap and fun and an excuse to go drunk to it, we made the best of it.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Minnesota beats UND 2-1 on a last second goal with .6 left on the clock.

Minnesota vs. Union in the finals

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
            Minnesota beats UND 2-1 on a last second goal with .6 left on the clock.

Minnesota vs. Union in the finals
            Short handed to boot. Was watching the game with my girlfriend and told her UND is either gonna win in regulation or go to overtime since they had a power play about 30 seconds longer than the third period.

Guess I was wrong.

Comment

Union beat Minnesota for the championship. Most of you have probably heard that, just thought I would cap off the thread...night, night!

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                Union beat Minnesota for the championship. Most of you have probably heard that, just thought I would cap off the thread...night, night!
                Hurrah for Union, this has to be a big deal for their hockey program. KFGO spent two days in Philadelphia, Joel Heitkamp and all their talk shows were hosted there and they spent Friday crying in their beer about the last second loss to Minnesota. KFGO did the same thing for NDSU and were doing shows from Frisco and Spokane during the football and basketball runs. So the NODAKS kind of out do us in radio, but then again KFGO for having a strong signal has different programing than say WNAX or KSOO.

Comment

Working...
                X