• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pam Borton Out @ MN.

Is this AJ's job?

http://www.startribune.com/sports/go...252943601.html

Go Rabbits!

Re: Pam Borton Out @ MN.

Minnesota has deep pockets. The Gophers might want someone with a big name, national recruiting experience and success in the NCAA tourney. AJ might be too local for Minnesota's ego. I wouldn't say good-bye to him quite yet. AJ might not even want the job. Expectations on the Gophers' next coach are likely to be unrealistically high, as usual.
    This space for lease.

Comment

Maybe NDSU goes after Borton?

*joking/not joking

Comment

The article on Pam Borton's firing clearly outlined why the end was coming, and in fact, I am surprised she lasted this long after the episode when the players left the team, and she didn't make it to the NCAA's for the next five years. When we walked on to Frost last night, the first question in my mind is, why does she have just 10 players on her team. Don't tell me Minnesota doesn't expect to have at least 15 players on the roster in the Big 10. That fact, forget the injuries, alone tells me that she was having difficulty finding, evaluating and or keeping players. And aside from Banham and the redshirt freshman center, I didn't see any other player out on the floor that was any better...if as good, as the freshmen alone that we have on this year's team.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          ....the first question in my mind is, why does she have just 10 players on her team.
          Because the players from Minnesota that she wanted are playing for AJ at State

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            Because the players from Minnesota that she wanted are playing for AJ at State
            I know you said this jokingly, but how many of SDSU current roster did she actively recruit? I have only heard Waytashek.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
              I know you said this jokingly, but how many of SDSU current roster did she actively recruit? I have only heard Waytashek.
              I honestly don't know. From what we saw last night, she should have recruited all of them.

Comment

I love it. One person says AJ might not be big enough for Minnesota's ego. The next person suggests Borton may go to NDSU. Borton isn't big enough for NDSU's ego. Ha! They want Geno A.!

Going to be an interesting couple of weeks!

SUPERBUNNY
                MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

No idea but I try not to kept caught up too much in that. A lot of factors determine if somebody is going to be good in college no matter their high school recruiting or how good they were in high school. Some players are already maxed out by the time they leave high school and don't get any better, some are still growing so they are under recruited, some deal with player developement at the college and the quality of the coach. Even if she did or didn't recruit the players at SDSU, it doesn't mean she was right or wrong.
                  "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

There are two things working against AJ getting the job. One is the fact that the other two "headliner" women's sports at Minnesota , volleyball and hockey ,already have male coaches. I think there would be an uproar from the female booster base if another male is hired unless it is a huge name. And second , the AD listed three major strengths the new coach must have , and one was being an proven recruiter not only locally but nationally. AJ has done wonders with players from SD and bordering states , but doesn't have much of a nation-wide recruiting footprint. I think AJ would be an excellent choice , but the Gophers have a young aggressive AD who may be looking for a big-splash type of hire.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                      No idea but I try not to kept caught up too much in that. A lot of factors determine if somebody is going to be good in college no matter their high school recruiting or how good they were in high school. Some players are already maxed out by the time they leave high school and don't get any better, some are still growing so they are under recruited, some deal with player developement at the college and the quality of the coach. Even if she did or didn't recruit the players at SDSU, it doesn't mean she was right or wrong.
                      What?

Recruiting is an evaluation of talent, as you stated. If she didn't recruit our girls, I'd say she was dead wrong in her assessment of their potential. If she would have been right, she'd probably still have a job today.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        What?

Recruiting is an evaluation of talent, as you stated. If she didn't recruit our girls, I'd say she was dead wrong in her assessment of their potential. If she would have been right, she'd probably still have a job today.
                        Did any other major Midwest teams like Wisconsin recruit SDSUs players? Highly doubt it. Sure, recruiting is an evaluation of talent but so many different factors go into recruiting players. I would not be at all surprised if most of the players from Minnesota on the Gophers were rated higher out of high school but I don't follow women recruiting as much as men's
                        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                          Did any other major Midwest teams like Wisconsin recruit SDSUs players? Highly doubt it. Sure, recruiting is an evaluation of talent but so many different factors go into recruiting players. I would not be at all surprised if most of the players from Minnesota on the Gophers were rated higher out of high school but I don't follow women recruiting as much as men's
                          Wisconsin was 10-19. They may want recruit SDSU players too. Wisconsin and SDSU went head to head with Wisconsin player AnnMarie Brown.

Comment

Maybe NDSU goes after Borton?

*joking/not joking
                            She won't play at Frost Arena, unless the NCAA makes her. She'll pass.

Comment

one forum states aj probably wouldn't be a good fit because jackrabbits are "paler" than borton's group. they aren't sure they could take a chance on how good a fit he would be with the black community.

Comment

Working...
                              X