Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How long until Student-athletes become Athlete-students & get paid?

This was good (and what Jimmy Jack was alluding to): http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...n-pay-for-play
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
      Maybe the NBA should develop a decent minor league system. Lots and lots and lots of baseball players get drafted right out of high school. They don't get multi million dollar contracts. They sign a minor league deal worth peanuts and the high round draft picks usually get a decent signing bonus. They then work there ass off in the minors to make it to the Show. Most don't make it.
      I agree with this. I don't want the NCAA to become a minor league system for the NBA and teams like Kentucky have become exactly that. Can anybody say with a straight face that those one-and-done guys who beat WSU were "college students"? You know what kinds of classes they are taking, right? And you understand that as soon as they're done with the tournament, they won't be back in those classes.

The Kentucky's of the world are ruining college basketball.
      Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
        Most don't make it.
        Key point, tragically ignored by nearly everybody involved--from the athletes themselves (and their families/advisors) to colleges, and beyond.

In thinking about this, I keep coming up against this thought: what do we want colleges and universities to be? Do we want them to be primarily semi-pro sports franchises with a few classrooms, lab buildings, and residence halls attached?

I have an uncomfortable feeling that the general answer of our culture to this is actually "yes."
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          Key point, tragically ignored by nearly everybody involved--from the athletes themselves (and their families/advisors) to colleges, and beyond.

In thinking about this, I keep coming up against this thought: what do we want colleges and universities to be? Do we want them to be primarily semi-pro sports franchises with a few classrooms, lab buildings, and residence halls attached?

I have an uncomfortable feeling that the general answer of our culture to this is actually "yes."
          I don't. I like the idea that colleges and universities are preparing our youth for life. I would be curious to see the average income of an athlete that participated for four years in athletics and completed their degree compared to a regular student that completed their degree. I would guess that the athlete makes more on average. For the athletes that choose to utilize the opportunity, they are really taught a lot of life lessons.

Most of your post is eluding to social issues in our society that are becoming prevalent. Everyone wants to be rich but isn't willing to put the time and effort in.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
            I agree with this. I don't want the NCAA to become a minor league system for the NBA and teams like Kentucky have become exactly that. Can anybody say with a straight face that those one-and-done guys who beat WSU were "college students"? You know what kinds of classes they are taking, right? And you understand that as soon as they're done with the tournament, they won't be back in those classes.

The Kentucky's of the world are ruining college basketball.
            Agreed, top HS players have a choice to go play overseas or go to the d-league for a year and start making money right away and than declare for the NBA draft. The NBA should make a rule that if you do decide to attend college, you have to stay or play 2 seasons before you are eligible to declare for the NBA draft. The NCAA wont do anything about it. Adam Silver (NBA commish) is the only person who can make this happen.

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
              Agreed, top HS players have a choice to go play overseas or go to the d-league for a year and start making money right away and than declare for the NBA draft. The NBA should make a rule that if you do decide to attend college, you have to stay or play 2 seasons before you are eligible to declare for the NBA draft. The NCAA wont do anything about it. Adam Silver (NBA commish) is the only person who can make this happen.
              Actually, I think the NBA Players Association has their pinky fingers in this, too . . .

Has? Have? Gah! English!
              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

In doing a little research on this subject I came across this article- ironically about 2 basketballers at that other SDSU- the one that beat the Bison this year. It may provide a little perspective to those who question providing a small stipend to student athletes
                http://m.utsandiego.com/news/2013/Se...-williams-bus/

Just off the top of my head a few things not covered by an SDSU athletic scholarship- class sign in clicker thingy (65) course required online resources (1-200 a semester depending on classes taken) an air conditioned dorm (athletes are housed in Young which has all the appeal of a state penitentiary) food (other than that provided at Larsen, which closes at 7, too bad if practice goes later) travel between home and school.There is probably lots more.

As I understand it, the push is to provide a small cash stipend to cover some of these things to compensate a student athlete for the rules and regulations they follow which results in a restriction of trade. The real problem I see is that the big dollar sports- football, basketball don't make enough to cover all sports. I think most student athletes would appreciate even a token amount $500 but how do you give that to Zach Zenner and not Cody Pack? Sorry Cody, football is more popular than wrestling, no dollars for you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Devil's advocate:

When season tickets for SDSU basketball cost as much or more than Skyforce season tickets, is it obvious what DI college athletics has become?
                  “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
                    Devil's advocate:

When season tickets for SDSU basketball cost as much or more than Skyforce season tickets, is it obvious what DI college athletics has become?
                    The reality is there are many levels of D1 athletics, even within the same division. SDSU and Kentucky are both D1 in basketball. But the goals of the two programs are entirely different. At SDSU there is still an educational component to this. Coach Nagy wants his student athletes to stay four or five years and graduate. It matters to him. Anybody who knows him knows that is true. Calipari brings in McDonald's All-Americans who need someplace to hang out until the NBA lets them in. Education? Calipari couldn't care less. That's just one example. Any of us could create a list of the schools that are destroying college athletics. There would be maybe 15 or 20 schools on the list.

So, no, it's not obvious from the cost of SDSU season tickets what D1 athletics has become. All that means is there is a fan base here who will pay those prices. It is, however, obvious that certain schools in D1 athletics have given up on the "student" part of student athlete. Unfortunately, their craven acts reflect badly on the many, many schools who are doing it right, schools like SDSU or Wichita State or NDSU. Ticket prices? Meh. One-and-dones (or actually, some schools' tolerance for them) are the best evidence of what is killing college sports.
                    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Calipari might not care about education, but he openly recruits players saying "If you want to go the NBA and get drafted high, I will help you do that." I don't have a problem with that. What's the point in Anthony Davis trying to get a degree in History for 4 years when he knows he's going to play basketball professionally? I have no issues with it.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Also I have a hard time seeing where Coach Nagy would turn down an Andrew Wiggins if he wants to come to SDSU for a year because he'd rather graduate all of his players...

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                          Forcing athletes to attend college for 2 years doesn't make them students anymore than making them go 1 year. They should be allowed to go to the NBA/NFL right out of high school if they choose.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                            The reality is there are many levels of D1 athletics, even within the same division. SDSU and Kentucky are both D1 in basketball. But the goals of the two programs are entirely different. At SDSU there is still an educational component to this. Coach Nagy wants his student athletes to stay four or five years and graduate. It matters to him. Anybody who knows him knows that is true. Calipari brings in McDonald's All-Americans who need someplace to hang out until the NBA lets them in. Education? Calipari couldn't care less. That's just one example. Any of us could create a list of the schools that are destroying college athletics. There would be maybe 15 or 20 schools on the list.

So, no, it's not obvious from the cost of SDSU season tickets what D1 athletics has become. All that means is there is a fan base here who will pay those prices. It is, however, obvious that certain schools in D1 athletics have given up on the "student" part of student athlete. Unfortunately, their craven acts reflect badly on the many, many schools who are doing it right, schools like SDSU or Wichita State or NDSU. Ticket prices? Meh. One-and-dones (or actually, some schools' tolerance for them) are the best evidence of what is killing college sports.
                            That sounds nice but i'm confident if Coach Nagy could sign a couple of one and dones every year he would.Also,if you really think they are killing college sports your ire should be directed to the NBA because there's always going to be someone willing to sign this type of player.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                              Forcing athletes to attend college for 2 years doesn't make them students anymore than making them go 1 year. They should be allowed to go to the NBA/NFL right out of high school if they choose.
                              NFL- no way. The are WAY bigger, faster, stronger. HS football players would get killed in the NFL. Players have to be out of high school for 3 years to be eligible for the NFL draft.
                              NBA- More than the likely the players would end up in the d-league. Very few have found success right out of HS. The extra time in college would give them more time to mature. If players don't want to attend college the certainty can go to the NBADL right away or go play overseas and make money. This would give more parody in the NCAA and keep the same teams from getting all the top recruits.

Comment

Didn't feel like reading through it all but as of right now, all the former Northwestern football players are asking for is more medical insurance and 4 year scholarships so it's not like they are asking for money.
                                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Working...
                                X