WAC loses Idaho

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WAC loses Idaho

Idaho moves to the Big Sky. That move appears to make 14 teams in the Big Sky. The WAC will need an infusion of some kind to keep floating if New Mexico State finds a place to move and make the WAC 7 teams.
    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Re: WAC loses Idaho

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
    Idaho moves to the Big Sky. That move appears to make 14 teams in the Big Sky. The WAC will need an infusion of some kind to keep floating if New Mexico State finds a place to move and make the WAC 7 teams.
    Interesting, I suppose this means dropping to FCS football too.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      They are still FBS. Football only members in the Sun-Belt.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
        *They are moving to Sun Belt for Football (FBS conference). New Mexico State is also moving Football to Sun Belt.

*TK beat me to it.

Comment

How long till UMKC comes crawling back now?

Sweet irony that ORU and UMKC are gone the year that the Summit wins an NCAA tourney game. I'd assume they won't get any cut from the extra game share as part of the league payout?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

Sweet irony that ORU and UMKC are gone the year that the Summit wins an NCAA tourney game. I'd assume they won't get any cut from the extra game share as part of the league payout?
            Does Omaha get a cut since they aren't eligible?

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
              They are still FBS. Football only members in the Sun-Belt.
              Thanks, I could see some cost savings but maybe not.

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
                This change was announced about year ago, but Idaho agreed to stay in the WAC one last season so it doesn't come as a surprise to the other WAC members. With Idaho in the Sunbelt for football the Big Sky is at 13 for football and 12 for basketball etc. since Cal Poly and UCDavis are in the Big West for basketbal etc.

Douple was quoted as saying that the Summit could go to 14 tomorrow if it wanted to, but that they were looking for a good fit. My guess is that the five that would take us from 9 to 14 are probably mostly if not all WAC members, such as NMSU, UMKC, Utah Valley, UTPA (who is about to get a name change) and Chicago State. The only one in that list that excites me is NMSU but they are far removed from any other member. Clearly the WAC is on life support and hoping the Summit doesn't add some of their teams.

Comment

I leaning towards the opinion that we don't want UMKC back. They fit in the footprint and are in a large city but have zero fan following and don't really have any strong athletic programs. If the conference wants to continue its rise in RPI on a national level, adding UMKC back into the mix does nothing to further that goal.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks-02 View Post

My uninformed wild guess is that they're on the phone to Douple right now.

And, I think the Summit pays out equal shares to all full D-I members, so any change to that would be a league bylaw change or something like that.
                    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

UND doesn't seem to have any interest in joining Summit, so I'd welcome KC back. Just have them repay the league entry fee and maybe buy cookies for the other schools.
                      This space for lease.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post
                        UND doesn't seem to have any interest in joining Summit, so I'd welcome KC back. Just have them repay the league entry fee and maybe buy cookies for the other schools.
                        Chocolate Chip with walnuts.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacked_Up View Post

With the kind of following that UMKC seems to have, maybe they ought to just go on and pull a Centenary.

Comment

I think many of us have skewed perspectives about UMKC and their ability to be "good."

I believe they were quite successful for several years before the xDSU's joined the Summit, but we only know them as sucking. They drew good crowds, and played good basketball as far as I know.

I also get a kick out of posters who somehow expect every team in the league to get 20 wins. I don't believe that is mathematically possible, barring undefeated non-conference schedules.

I would be happy to have them back, especially if they had a solid plan for getting back to their good years.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I still shake my head in utter disbelief at UMKC's move to the WAC and continue to wonder aloud "what the #%@# were they thinking?"

You would think that a UMKC-UNO rivalry would be something that wouldn't be that hard to get going. Heck, rent a couple of buses and haul a hundred UNO students to UMKC games and vice versa, just to liven things up a bit. UMKC-Chicago State just doesn't quite have the same . . . convenience factor.
                              "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                              X