Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NDSU v Oklahoma in Spokane

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    You first: Show me that NDSU's RPI would have been 50 with a championship game loss to IPFW.
    Can't. Might have been 45. Does that change things or is this a circular argument? I know I'm wrong when I say it's not possible. I think I'm right when I say it's highly unlikely that NDSU or any Summit league team would get an at large bid without some wins against top 40 teams. I look forward to the day we see it happen but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I need to do more research before questioning the wisdom of other posters. I may be making a fool of myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
      Can't. Might have been 45. Does that change things or is this a circular argument? I know I'm wrong when I say it's not possible. I think I'm right when I say it's highly unlikely that NDSU or any Summit league team would get an at large bid without some wins against top 40 teams. I look forward to the day we see it happen but I'm not holding my breath. Maybe I need to do more research before questioning the wisdom of other posters. I may be making a fool of myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I don't think we're actually that far apart from agreement when you really get down to it.

You just seem to see stuff like 'rules' where I'm seeing things that look more to me like 'biases.' Semantics, perhaps.

Plus I tend to be naturally something of a cheerleader, if I'm not careful.
      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

It's vaguely possible that the Bison may have wound up in the 12-seed play-in game if IPFW had pulled it out at the end of the SL championship game. Not likely, mind you, but I suspect they might have wound up in the field of 68 somewhere with a close competitive lost to IPFW.
        I'm not suggesting that NDSU would have earned a 12 seed at large play in game. Just pointing out to previous poster that a 11/12 play in game would mean that TSL would have multiple bids. An automatic bid 11/12 seed does not get a play in game scenario. Those games are reserved for last four in at large.
        Southern Pecan

2001 Nissan Exterra....no A/C and north of 120k

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
          The extra step gives you undivided national exposure with the added chance of winning a game.

I didn't say that NDSU should be in the play in game, I was just playing devil's advocate when it came to the free publicity the extra games offered.
          I almost couldnt care less about the play-in games. You lose that your basically not in the tourney. I didnt watch the games tonight, but starting Thursday I will be tuned into every game. I cant help but think most college bball fans feel the same way.

Comment

Originally posted by joeybrownerHOF View Post
            I'm not suggesting that NDSU would have earned a 12 seed at large play in game. Just pointing out to previous poster that a 11/12 play in game would mean that TSL would have multiple bids. An automatic bid 11/12 seed does not get a play in game scenario. Those games are reserved for last four in at large.
            I apologize for starting this thread drift. With that being said...other that the ORU team that lost to WIU, this Bison team is the only one from the Summit that would have had an argument for an at large.

That being said, now go out there and earn TSL some cash. The only times I don't root for a conference mate is when they play SDSU. The better the conference performs the better we look when we win it.
            -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
              I almost couldnt care less about the play-in games. You lose that your basically not in the tourney. I didnt watch the games tonight, but starting Thursday I will be tuned into every game. I cant help but think most college bball fans feel the same way.
              I partially agree with you. The only play-in games that don't matter to me are the 16 seeds. Whoever wins that game are going to get hammered no matter what. But the winners of the 11/12 seed play in games do make a difference in the tournament.
              Last edited by SanDakotaState; 03-18-2014, 11:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BisonBohl View Post
                Umm no thanks, why add extra step, the tournament is already hard enough.

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk
                Well, VCU did play in a play-in game in 2011 where they made the Final Four, South Florida played in a play-in game in 2012 and beat Temple in the second round. Last year, La Salle played in a play-in game and then made it to the Sweet 16 where they lost to Wichita State.
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by SanDakotaState View Post
                  I partially agree with you. The only play-in games that don't matter to me are the 16 seeds. Whoever wins that game are going to get hammered no matter what. But the winners of the 11/12 seed play in games do make a difference in the tournament.
                  If you lose a play-in game most of America has no idea you "played" in the tourney. That's my point. No where did I say the winners of the games don't matter.

Comment

If you lose a play-in game most of America has no idea you "played" in the tourney. That's my point. No where did I say the winners of the games don't matter.
                    Bingo

Sent from my LG-E970 using Tapatalk

Comment

You could say that about most of the "second-round" losers as well, actually. I watched a five-minute preview of NDSU-Oklahoma on the CBS Sports Network, and NDSU was not mentioned once except in the intro to the segment.

I really wouldn't mind the Bison knocking off OU and (probably) meeting the other SDSU in the next round.
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

You could say that about most of the "second-round" losers as well, actually. I watched a five-minute preview of NDSU-Oklahoma on the CBS Sports Network, and NDSU was not mentioned once except in the intro to the segment.

I really wouldn't mind the Bison knocking off OU and (probably) meeting the other SDSU in the next round.
                        A hell of a lot more people watch the second round then the play-in games. Not to mention all the times the matchups are shown on TV throughout the week leading up to tourney. North Dak St vs Okla has more "pop" for NDSU than Xav/NC St vs. St Louis has for Xavier or NC State. I've also heard quite a few analysts talking about NDSU upsetting Oklahoma. If the winner of a play-in game played Oklahoma you wouldn't be hearing as much about the upset.

The play-in games are only around to generate more revenue for the NCAA. They do that, but if anyone thinks they gain a ton of exposure for the schools playing in them they are kidding themselves.

Comment

My opinion: If you're going to be a 16 seed, you might as well be in one of the play-in games. You're going to lose in the round of 64 anyway, and winning the play-in game(against another bad team) nets your conference an extra share of the money pie($1.5-2M). As for one of the 11-13 seed play-in games, those are reserved for at-large teams and the Summit isn't going to get one of those until a member wins a game or two in the tourney to generate some cred for the conference. Maybe this will be the year, maybe not. And regardless of that, the Bison didn't have any quality wins of the type needed to get an at-large bid, so that question is moot anyway.

If the question is: Is an at-large play-in seed better than the same at-large seed without a play-in game? I'd have to say it's the same as my first sentence above. You're going to get the base $hare anyway, and if you can't get past another team of the same seed it's unlikely you would have upset the higher seed in the round of 64 anyway. And if you win the play-in game, it's another $hare of the pie.

Just an opinion.

And we're totally going to kick OU's butt tomorrow. (or I'm out a billion dollars)

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                            And we're totally going to kick OU's butt tomorrow. (or I'm out a billion dollars)
                            Me too lol I like the way you think.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Comment

Baylor and Michigan were a lot better than Oklahoma and yes I know Baylor was a 3 seed and Michigan was a 4 seed. Jacks would have beat Oklahoma last year
                              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Bison lead 37-29 at half.

Comment

Working...
                                X