Oakland survive and advance in the Horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oakland survive and advance in the Horizon

This made my Yahoo home page - nice play by Kampe to draw the foul and force OT. They go up against Wright State next.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...3BtaA--;_ylv=3
    Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Re: Oakland survive and advance in the Horizon

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
    This made my Yahoo home page - nice play by Kampe to draw the foul and force OT. They go up against Wright State next.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-...3BtaA--;_ylv=3

I miss that team.
    Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
      I miss that team.
      That was a brilliant call.

First year in the league and Oakland is HOSTING the tournament?

*edit - Oh, the higher seeds get home games the first round, then are off to Green Bay. Personally, I like the Summit's format better.

http://www.horizonleague.org/blog/th...s-advance.html
      "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

In the Summit Kampe says the tourney was held at the end of the world. Thanks but no thanks.

Comment

What a weak way to end the game. Should have been a no call. No way is that a charge. In fact I would have called that a block just because if it wasn't a no call
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
            What a weak way to end the game. Should have been a no call. No way is that a charge. In fact I would have called that a block just because if it wasn't a no call
            It was a good play call, I've seen similar from high school coaches though.

If Bader was set, its a player control foul on Youngstown, no doubt. I didn't think Bader was set, but whatever.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
              It was a good play call, I've seen similar from high school coaches though.

If Bader was set, its a player control foul on Youngstown, no doubt. I didn't think Bader was set, but whatever.
              Because he wasn't set and should have been a no call or a block. Just a weak way to win the game.
              "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

I don't like the call, but there is nothing in the rule book that says you need to be "set" to draw a charge or player control foul. It's a made up term basically. Kind of like "over-the-back". No such wording in the rule book.
                "Tell the truth and pay your bills and you don't have to back down from anyone"--My Dad

Comment

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
                  I don't like the call, but there is nothing in the rule book that says you need to be "set" to draw a charge or player control foul. It's a made up term basically. Kind of like "over-the-back". No such wording in the rule book.
                  If I recall correctly, the rule's actual phrasing is "establish defensive position" or something like that. "Set" is shorthand, but it is in fact true (but often ignored by fans and refs alike) that the defender can have properly established a defensive position without being completely stationary.

You are also correct re: "over the back" from my recollection of my read-through of the rules (which I last did a year or so ago, I believe.)
                  "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                    If I recall correctly, the rule's actual phrasing is "establish defensive position" or something like that. "Set" is shorthand, but it is in fact true (but often ignored by fans and refs alike) that the defender can have properly established a defensive position without being completely stationary.

You are also correct re: "over the back" from my recollection of my read-through of the rules (which I last did a year or so ago, I believe.)
                    Good blog read on some common basketball rules misunderstandings. Rule #2 goes into block/charge foul.

http://www.bordaslaw.com/blog/2014/0...re-wrong.shtml

Comment

Thanks for that link, UWMandSDSU. Guess I'll be less vocal at the Summit Tourney.

Comment

It is interesting to find that we are operating from a philosophy for referees now rather than more objective performance and behavior of the players. I would agree that no game should have all contact called if no advantage/disadvantage can be discerned. If I catch the ball on the run, I should not need to dribble the ball since there is no pivot foot much like the guy tipping the ball down the court. This article is very informative to a point, but I would guess there are some fine points another official may view things differently as we can all see from game to game. Officiating is a very difficult job without Philosophy 101. The most difficult part is expecting all officials to recognize and call the same violations every time.. If that happens, I will be quietly applauding next JackJD.
                        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Personally, I'll still give the stripes the benefit of my kindly, helpful advice.
                          "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                            Good blog read on some common basketball rules misunderstandings. Rule #2 goes into block/charge foul.

Good stuff. They need to have the PA announcer read that before every game at Frost.

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post

WHAT! None of this explains why every team i play/coach/cheer for gets screwed by the refs!

Is there some kind of vandetta against me?

Please explain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                              X