Mack Brown out at Texas. Who's Next?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mack Brown out at Texas. Who's Next?

I don't normally start threads, but as a college football fan I thought this one deserved some attention.

With Mack Brown out as head coach of Texas, who do you all see as a replacement?

I'll get it started. In the spirit of "predictions", I'll only predict one name.

My money is on Mike Gundy, current Oklahoma State coach. He's a man, and he's 40.

Re: Mack Brown out at Texas. Who's Next?

I can't see Gundy leave OSU for another College school. That's his alma mater, and he loves it there...but I could see him try the NFL at some point.

Texas? Boy, I don't know. I know they wanted Mack out, but this could end up being one of those "be careful what you wish for, you just may get it" scenarios.

Since Saban has turned them down, Sarkisian and Peterson just got hired at big name schools.

I can't see any of the NFL names being floated around as going to UT (Harbaugh, Tomlin, Kelly).

I'm pretty sure they are searching for a young coach, judging by the names they are throwing out there...

I'm going to just throw out Charlie Strong from Louisville. If he can make the Cardinals contenders, and run a high octane offense with a top qb...in Louisville...You'd have to think he'd be a great fit (age 53) in Texas...with the access to all that HS Football talent.

He is highly paid by Louisville, however. But UT would have the money to buy him out, if they wanted to.

Comment

It was announced yesterday that Texas has formed a search committee,who in turn is using a search firm also. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/col...mack-brown.ece

As da coach mentioned there are a lot of names being floated,I've even read some rumors that Saban is still in play. One thing's for sure,Texas can afford to pay what ever it takes. Once again, Forbes has named them the most valuable program: http://www.forbes.com/pictures/emdm4...le-teams-2013/

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
        I can't see Gundy leave OSU for another College school. That's his alma mater, and he loves it there...but I could see him try the NFL at some point.
        I thought so too until last year when he flirted with Arkansas and Tennessee. That could have just been for negotiating leverage, but you never know. He was also having issues with his AD, but those seem to have been put aside for the time being.

This is definitely my favorite time of the year, especially when major coaching jobs like Texas open up!

So far we have one (1) vote for Gundy, and one (1) vote for Strong.

Comment

Texas? Boy, I don't know. I know they wanted Mack out, but this could end up being one of those "be careful what you wish for, you just may get it" scenarios.

Since Saban has turned them down, Sarkisian and Peterson just got hired at big name schools.

I can't see any of the NFL names being floated around as going to UT (Harbaugh, Tomlin, Kelly).

I'm pretty sure they are searching for a young coach, judging by the names they are throwing out there...

I'm going to just throw out Charlie Strong from Louisville. If he can make the Cardinals contenders, and run a high octane offense with a top qb...in Louisville...You'd have to think he'd be a great fit (age 53) in Texas...with the access to all that HS Football talent.

He is highly paid by Louisville, however. But UT would have the money to buy him out, if they wanted to.
          Before Charlie Strong went to Louisville , he really wanted the Gophers job. They made a monumental mistake in hiring Tim Brewster , the snake-oil salesman instead. It hurts to think where the Minnesota program might be if they had made the correct decision.

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
            I thought so too until last year when he flirted with Arkansas and Tennessee. That could have just been for negotiating leverage, but you never know. He was also having issues with his AD, but those seem to have been put aside for the time being.

This is definitely my favorite time of the year, especially when major coaching jobs like Texas open up!

So far we have one (1) vote for Gundy, and one (1) vote for Strong.
            (1) vote for Jon Gruden. Anything to get him off my TV.

Comment

Coaching Texas is more than just being a good x's and o's guy, you need to have a personality to be able to fit in in the good ol boys club. Here are some other names that I've seen thrown around on various websites followed by my useless opinion:

Pat Fitzgerald - I think he would be a good fit for Texas. He is loyal NW alum and loves coaching the wildcats, but I think he has taken them as far as they can go. He is a young and charismatic coach.

Gus Malzahn - Brilliant offensive mind, and a coach of a football crazy school. Texas may be the mecca of CFB, but Auburn is up their as well going for the 2nd championship in the last couple of years....I think he stays and gets a big contract.

Jim Mora - Has a ton of experience, and a lively personality.....but I think UCLA is his dram job until the NFL comes calling again.

Les Miles - Another coach with a big personality, I think he might be getting antsy for a change and Texas is about the only school he might leave for.

David Shaw - Stanford is his alma mater, and he appears happy. He will be a Stanford man until the NFL dials him up.

Art Briles and Kevin Sumlin - A month ago I think they both would have listened, but they have both signed huge extensions since making a buyout hard to do.

Jimbo Fisher - He has FSU rolling right now, one would think it would be hard for him to leave.

James Franklin - Young, charismatic coach. He will be looking for an upgrade form Vandy pretty soon, the team rape allegations might hurt his chance for a huge job like Texas.

***My vote is for the underdog in Pat Fitzgerald.

Comment

There's been stuff going around about Nick Saban out of University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa). Now, being an insane Alabama fan, I would rather Nick Saban not leave...I like him.
                Great moments are born from great opportunities.
                ---Herb Brooks

Comment

Originally posted by Madi V:)Mitchell View Post
                  There's been stuff going around about Nick Saban out of University of Alabama (Tuscaloosa). Now, being an insane Alabama fan, I would rather Nick Saban not leave...I like him.
                  Need not too worry, Saban is not going anywhere. He re-signed last week for a big pay raise.
                  http://espn.go.com/college-football/...a-crimson-tide

Comment

Never say never. Wouldn't be the first time a coach signed a new deal before he left to go somehwere else. My guess is saban in the guy they want. Maybe a texas guy like sumlin or kingsbury.
                    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                      Never say never. Wouldn't be the first time a coach signed a new deal before he left to go somehwere else. My guess is saban in the guy they want. Maybe a texas guy like sumlin or kingsbury.
                      You are required to vote Goon. No waffling!

Re: the Saban talk. Yes, he signed an extension, but the rumor from several sources is that the extension did not have a buyout clause. Yes, you read me right, neither Saban nor his new school would owe anything to Bama if he leaves for another job. Fuel to the fire my friends...........

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                        You are required to vote Goon. No waffling!

Re: the Saban talk. Yes, he signed an extension, but the rumor from several sources is that the extension did not have a buyout clause. Yes, you read me right, neither Saban nor his new school would owe anything to Bama if he leaves for another job. Fuel to the fire my friends...........
                        Saban gets my vote. That's atleast who they are going to go the hardest for imo.
                        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Perhaps after they review my posts on this forum they will consider me for this position???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

On NCAA Football 2013 I took Rice to the #2 team in the nation in my first year as a head coach (started as an assistant at MTSU and worked my way up).

I'm awaiting their consideration, and offer.

Comment

On NCAA Football 2013 I took Rice to the #2 team in the nation in my first year as a head coach (started as an assistant at MTSU and worked my way up).

I'm awaiting their consideration, and offer.
                              I suspect they are looking for the guy that beat you.
                              Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Comment

Working...
                              X