Tech and BHSU officially DII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tech and BHSU officially DII

Black Hills State University and the School of Mines have completed the transition to NCAA D-II and are now full members. From the Rapid City Journal:
    http://rapidcityjournal.com/sports/c...66820c805.html

Re: Tech and BHSU officially DII

This rite in passing reminds me of a career day held at Brookings High School in 1957 or 58, with all the colleges through out SD present. Yes SD Mines and Black Hills State were present, but I remember sitting in a session with Southern State Teachers College now a part of the State Prison system. The guy making the pitch told about the various courses of studies, including auto body repair which for some reason interested me, and from there the gentleman went on to talk about athletics and how important it was to win now and then a conference title in various sports in order to keep the alumni interested.

Is not one of the big reasons BHSU and School of Mines went D2 was to keep the alumni interested? Sure the SDIC dried up as did the Dakota Conference, but with out a competitive athletics, alumni do lose interest, though Southern is long gone, there are interested alumni looking for something to cheer on. Good Luck to BHSU and SDM&T at the D2 level. So joeboe22, are you happy BHSU went D2? Like SDSU and USD moving to D1, this is a great move.

Comment

And reaffirms why jacks needed to move to D1.

Comment

I was mixed about the D-II move. the one nice thing about being NAIA was being able to play many of the GPAC schools, local D-II schools and then the the DAC conference schools as well. The problem was you don't want to be the last one to make the move and it had to be done. It just sucked that the football coach and basketball coach left in the middle of transition and set back the programs a little bit. The facilities aren't great and being a fan you understand there are some differences between the ole NAIA and the NCAA. Travel is such a problem either way, I think it had to be done, and I believe in the next 5-10 years as I get away from high school athletics in South Dakota (not knowing athletes at the Mt. Marty's, DWU's, and etc.'s personally will make it a little easier because many of the D-II schools are higher profile.

So yeah I'm glad they went. and I think in 5-10 years I will be really glad. Its similar (not as big) as when SDSU went up. Where you saw some positives but you look at the rough patch and you wonder if its worth it but when you get to the green grass you look back and say why did we wait so long.

Comment

Looks like the nameless guy from Southern was speaking the truth 60 years ago. With more and more shifting towards state assistance, alumni at state assisted institutions are becoming very important and will no doubt be counted on for financial help. I really think this move is good for both schools and in 10 years, will the NAIA as an organization be around? It would not make much sense for BHSU to travel to southern Missouri to compete against some Bible College, and that's what the NAIA membership is becoming. Very few state schools left, but I more than type this and someone will prove me wrong.

Comment

Working...
          X