Notre Dame QB out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Notre Dame QB out

Everett Golson, Notre Dame's starting QB in 11 games last season is no longer enrolled at the school. The Chicago Tribune reports he's out due to academic violations. Not much else is known about the story at this point.

Re: Notre Dame QB out

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Everett Golson, Notre Dame's starting QB in 11 games last season is no longer enrolled at the school. The Chicago Tribune reports he's out due to academic violations. Not much else is known about the story at this point.
    Gunnar Kiel out, which leaves them with Tommy Ries. Probably not the ideal situation Kelly wanted. Wonder if/how he got kicked out of school
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

ND being real tight lipped about it now. Tough blow for Kelly.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        ND being real tight lipped about it now. Tough blow for Kelly.
        Yes and he is 0-2 against Coach Stig thanks to Josh Ronek and the good O lines when we played Grand Valley and Brian Kelly was the GV coach. I doubt there are many ND fans who know or care, but I thought I would throw that one out there. I would not worry a whole bunch about ND, they will be fine. For every one on the team, they have five guys to replace anyone who messes up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          ...I would not worry a whole bunch about ND, they will be fine. For every one on the team, they have five guys to replace anyone who messes up.
          Except in this case, as pointed out by witness in post #2, they'd already lost a top backup for next season. ND will have a serviceable quarterback who is a senior but had meaningful playing time but they're real thin -- or at least untested -- beyond that.

Comment

Notre Dame lost their starting qb that led them to the NC game and their backup would be a redshirt freshman Gunner Kiel who was the #1 pocket passer and was ranked #20 overall. They are not okay at qb. They lost two huge guys at qb.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
              Notre Dame lost their starting qb that led them to the NC game and their backup would be a redshirt freshman Gunner Kiel who was the #1 pocket passer and was ranked #20 overall. They are not okay at qb. They lost two huge guys at qb.
              Excuse me. I really care about ND.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                Excuse me. I really care about ND.
                Well, considering the only other college football news of note right now (that I found after the most desultory of web searches, anyway) consists of a Cornhusker player getting a trial date set after being accused of exposing himself to a coed, I guess it could be worse for the Notre Dame guy.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

What's Lennay Kekua been up to lately? Heard she was in the Maxim Hot 100 list this year and Manti showed up to the Hot 100 party to find her

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
                    From the sound of it Gunner Kiel would not have been the starter even if he had stayed. If he would have been, he would have returned (he could have). He just couldn't run Kelly's offense. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew Hendrix is the starter

Sounds as if its academics. I've heard cheating and I've heard grades, ND is very tough when it come to both of those issues, he does plan to return to the school in 2014. Its a blow, no doubt, but they won because of their defense and running game. On paper their defense is still really good, and their running game though un proven should be solid. O-line will be a big question mark.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      From the sound of it Gunner Kiel would not have been the starter even if he had stayed. If he would have been, he would have returned (he could have). He just couldn't run Kelly's offense. I wouldn't be surprised if Andrew Hendrix is the starter

Sounds as if its academics. I've heard cheating and I've heard grades, ND is very tough when it come to both of those issues, he does plan to return to the school in 2014. Its a blow, no doubt, but they won because of their defense and running game. On paper their defense is still really good, and their running game though un proven should be solid. O-line will be a big question mark.
                      As domer, this has been very tough to take. Everything I've read on the message boards indicate Golson failed to obtain a grade in an Accounting class, but not sure why. The biggest rumor I have heard has been plagiarism. This is also somehow tied to DaVaris Daniels who is also in trouble with Res Life, but has been cleared to play for 2013. Some speculate that Golson cheated off of Daniels, which is why Daniels didn't go down in flames as well. Since it is related to academics, ND won't (and can't) comment on the situation anymore than they have.

The general consensus is that ol' reliable Tommy Rees will be the starter. He can't run the read option, which is why some are hoping that Andrew Hendrix has progressed significantly over the past few years to push Rees for the job. There is the outside chance that freshman early enrollee Malik Zaire, a dual-threat quarterback, will win the starting job, but in all likelihood Kelly will attempt to redshirt him this year.

Most with ties to the program indicate that Gunner Kiel was a complete bust and ND had no problems letting him walk. In fact, some reporters commented that Zaire was light years ahead of Kiel's development even with Zaire's limited time on campus.

An equally big loss on the defensive side is Eddie Vanderdoes, a 5-star defensive lineman from California. Vanderdoes signed his National LOI, but is refusing to attend ND. At this point, ND has refused to let him out of his LOI. Rumors are that Vanderdoes wants to go to UCLA and there are strong implications that the UCLA coaching staff was involved with some major tamporing. Coaches across the country are imploring the ND coaching staff to not let Vanderdoes out of his LOI for fear of setting a precedent.

All in all, this is probably the worst offseason the Irish have experienced. There are numerous other players that have left the program that I'm not even going to mention.

Comment

I've heard Academic Cheating as well. Not sure if it was on a test, or plagarism.

Tough Blow for the Irish. He was the driving force behind that offense last year, and a big reason why they improved so much.

Comment

Originally posted by da_coach View Post
                          I've heard Academic Cheating as well. Not sure if it was on a test, or plagarism.

Tough Blow for the Irish. He was the driving force behind that offense last year, and a big reason why they improved so much.
                          I know that he is a good QB and a slight step up but I don't know about how much. If Rees would have thrown as many passes, HE WOULD HAVE TO CUT OUT ABOUT 4 INT's but other than that, they had similar numbers. They were off about 1% off in completion %. They would have thrown within about 40 yards of each other in total yards(if they completed the same number of passes). Their QB rating was fairly close but those 4 INT's are the main difference.
                          I know the INT's were there so it's not quite apples to apples but I think they only won about 2 more games because of who started at QB.
                          Golson did get a few rushing TD's but I think he didn't have many total rushing yards on the season.

I know that ND needed Golson's mobility in the Championship game but he really struggled in the game. On the opening drive they threw the ball up twice to the All-American TE and he caught the ball but both throws were out of bounds. Keep it in play and give your guy a chance. He tried to run for a couple of 1st down(sometimes when he had time to look to pass) and didn't make it because of Alabama's speed on D. There was a pass in the 1st half(I think) where ND had a receiver about 15 yards clear of Alabama's defense but the ball was way under thrown. When you can't run the ball, it's tough on any QB but he could have made a few plays in that game. These mistakes were from playing a better team, not being able to run the ball and some of it was just freshmen mistakes.

He did add another facet that Rees doesn't have but there were a few games that he got benched for Rees to come in and help. If he played the whole game would ND have won all of those games? Maybe/maybe not! They made a good pair.
                          It also helps when you play 12 regular season games and you only allow 26 and 17 points in two of those games and the rest of the games you only allow 14 points or less.

He had a great freshman season and will only get better.
                          I could be wrong on some or all of this. This is just a quick observation.

Comment

Working...
                          X