UND on DeadSpin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UND on DeadSpin

I did not pay a lot of attention to UND until its disputewith the NCAA over the Sioux nickname and logo. My impressions until a fewyears ago were: 1) good academics; 2) good hockey school (I don't understand and do not follow hockey); 3) had some pretty good football teams under a coach named Roger Thomas. When I attended SDSU, UND athletics seemed middle-of-the-road and in the sport I participated in, track and field, UND was not a factor. The few people I knew from UND were nice people.

I followed the Sioux logo/nickname dispute when it hit the media a few years ago. The story that wouldn’t die must have appealed to that part of the brain which causes most to gawk at awful car wrecks. Maybe nerves were a little frayed up north but I watched UND get invited to the Big Sky and many were excited, some felt somehow cheated (by USD and the Summit League). It seemed there were at least two camps: 1) entry into the Big Sky was a lucky stroke because the Summit League or its commissioner did something wrong; or b) was an unlucky event because the Summit League or its commissioner could not be trusted. A thread running through the news and tying in gossip and message-board chatter was the blame thread: everything that was detestable in Grand Forks was the fault of someone associated with the NCAA , NDSU, one of two North Dakota Indian tribes, Fargo or Tom Douple (no particular order intended).

This past February another one of those crazy, only-at-UND stories popped up. This time the story was about a two-game suspension of the UND basketball radio announcer, a UND employee, for asking UND coach Jones about a last-minute loss to Northern Arizona. The announcer in his post-game, live interview, used the words “choke job” and the coach took offense. Up to that point, it seems like real humans were involved.

And then the UND administration got involved. A two-day suspension?

Yesterday, DeadSpin (disclosure: there have been times in the past when I have been skeptical of DeadSpin but I have to admit they’ve done some work as actual journalists and they’ve broken some stories and explained others and their work is serious stuff) published an in-depth story on the UND suspension of its radio announcer. For those who may share my sick interest /humor in watching for yet another wreck in Grand Forks, it’s an interesting read. Here it is, titled “How North Dakota Lost Its Mind Over A “Choke Job”:

http://deadspin.com/how-north-dakota...-job-504008586

Some like to discuss what UND may add to the Summit League. Personally, I'm not sure we want that bunch in the Summit.

Added: The DeadSpin article includes actual emails obtained under the ND Freedom of Information Act--as you read the emails, keep them in mind if you decided to fire one at a public official including a university employee. And while I know we all make spelling, grammar and punctuation errors when sending emails (or posting on message boards), I find a little humorous irony in an email calling the UND Athletic Director a dumbass but uses "your" when the writer should have used "you're".
    Last edited by JackJD; 05-17-2013, 10:44 AM.

Re: UND on DeadSpin

It was a choke job. I don't blame the coach for trying to defend his team. It would not have been a story if Faison had handled it properly. You don't suspend the play-by-play guy especially after he apologizes. We could argue the issue about journalistic integrity and free speech forever. Where it got ridiculous here was the decision to suspend. The play-by-play guy felt stupid for suggesting it, the coach felt stupid for overreacting and the AD made it way worse. I have no idea what he was hoping to accomplish with the suspension. Someone help me out with that.

If I was Ralston I would have submitted my resignation post-haste and parlayed this into a better gig at a program not dictated by oppressive egotistical maniacs. I cannot understand why he would pander to these buffoons. I guess the culture of oppression must be so engrained that employees just accept that they will not have their own opinions on matters such as calling a spade a spade.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

When it comes to local media I doubt there is a school in the country that is treated with kid gloves more than UND is so I love it when national outlets take them to task. I agree UND handled it terribly, don't try to tell anyone living on that island surrounded by reality that is Grand Forks that though. At worst Ralston should have been warned.

Comment

Can you feature Steve Emming or Tyler Merrian calling any game a choke job? Its hard to imagine. I do recall Stig getting real defensive after one USD game lost in Verminville. I think Jerry Oster or it might have been Steve, who made a comment that did not set well with Stig Its been a while ago, so I don't recall the details. These things do happen though and its much easier to interview a coach after winning a game than it is following a loss. At least from my point of view.

In basketball, many games are decided in a few last seconds and a few key plays. I think Ralston was wrong in calling this a choke job because UND lost. He was saying what many UND fans were thinking, and cant say on the air. SDSUFANS.COM, from a few posters, do express this same attitude when we lose close ones. Cal-State Bakersfield was a game were we choked the entire game.

UND apparently has a different set up than SDSU in that the announcer is an employee and the contracts with radio outlets are a complete separate matter.

UND still is a great school, and has some excellent programs including Native American Studies and their Reservation Medical programs. I think they are a leader in this area amongst the Dakota schools, but the logo issue and now this does have a tarnishing affect on their image. I not so sure about UND joining the SL either.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
          Can you feature Steve Emming or Tyler Merrian calling any game a choke job? Its hard to imagine. I do recall Stig getting real defensive after one USD game lost in Verminville. I think Jerry Oster or it might have been Steve, who made a comment that did not set well with Stig Its been a while ago, so I don't recall the details. These things do happen though and its much easier to interview a coach after winning a game than it is following a loss. At least from my point of view.

In basketball, many games are decided in a few last seconds and a few key plays. I think Ralston was wrong in calling this a choke job because UND lost. He was saying what many UND fans were thinking, and cant say on the air. SDSUFANS.COM, from a few posters, do express this same attitude when we lose close ones. Cal-State Bakersfield was a game were we choked the entire game.

UND apparently has a different set up than SDSU in that the announcer is an employee and the contracts with radio outlets are a complete separate matter.

UND still is a great school, and has some excellent programs including Native American Studies and their Reservation Medical programs. I think they are a leader in this area amongst the Dakota schools, but the logo issue and now this does have a tarnishing affect on their image. I not so sure about UND joining the SL either.
          I can recall a few times when Nagy snapped at something Steve said. Steve would let him blow off steam, then go right in to the next question. No biggie..

In this case, the announcer was right about the choke job.I also thought Jones was right in objecting to it. These two went back and forth a bit much but they got past it. It should have ended there but Faison fanned the flames again by overeating and suspending him. Really dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            I can recall a few times when Nagy snapped at something Steve said. Steve would let him blow off steam, then go right in to the next question. No biggie..

In this case, the announcer was right about the choke job.I also thought Jones was right in objecting to it. These two went back and forth a bit much but they got past it. It should have ended there but Faison fanned the flames again by overeating and suspending him. Really dumb.
            I think JackPower is right. I have no problem with the coach getting upset with the reporter. When the AD stepped it, the situation turned to dumb.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
              I think JackPower is right. I have no problem with the coach getting upset with the reporter. When the AD stepped it, the situation turned to dumb.
              Now that Jackpower mentioned it, I do recall a few uncomfortable minutes between Steve and Nagy. To use the term choke is rude at best and one the Voice of Sioux or the Jackrabbits should avoid on the air. Just my opinion. Jones is a very good coach. He did not deserve that term nor did the announcer deserve the suspension.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post

I agree and kind of what I was trying to say in my post. The story here is why Faison felt compelled to suspend the man. When I start thinking about the motivation all sorts of maniacal reasons enter my mind. What did a suspension accomplish that a simple admonishment would not have?
                We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
                X