Basketball Rule Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basketball Rule Changes

Story on possible rule changes in men's and women's basketball...they'll go before an NCAA rules oversight committee June 18 and if adopted will be effective for the 13-14 season.

My opinion: good changes. Ten-second backcourt rule in women's BB. In the men's game: New rules addressing freedom of movement and how block/charge calls are made.

http://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/articl...omens-basketba

Re: Basketball Rule Changes

I agree they're all good changes,in particular i like adjusting the charge call and not impeding the progress of an offensive player. That said,the changes will only be as good as the officials implementing them. ugh

Comment

I wouls like to see the men add the change about media time outa. Taking a time out then one play and a whistle and a time out again. I've always hated it and it happens like every game. The biggest rule change I would want to see is either enforcing illegal screens or getting rid of that call. Its horrible how inconsistantly its called. They are trying to crack down on rules for defense but they need to make sure the offense plays fair too. Illegal screen imo is the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

I never got the reasoning for not having a ten-second rule in the womens game. It basically gave an advantage to teams that were not athletic enough to handle pressure defenses.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I wouls like to see the men add the change about media time outa. Taking a time out then one play and a whistle and a time out again. I've always hated it and it happens like every game. The biggest rule change I would want to see is either enforcing illegal screens or getting rid of that call. Its horrible how inconsistantly its called. They are trying to crack down on rules for defense but they need to make sure the offense plays fair too. Illegal screen imo is the biggest issue that needs to be addressed.
          Agree with all that. Timeouts are a drag on the game anyway but when you have virtual back to back ones it sucks. Also, if officials called moving screens with any consistency there would be a ton of players in foul trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
            I never got the reasoning for not having a ten-second rule in the womens game. It basically gave an advantage to teams that were not athletic enough to handle pressure defenses.
            I am not sure you need a 10 second call at all with a shot clock. It shrinks the floor for the defense and I don't think you need to do that. I would favor shortening the shot clock time to 30 or 25 seconds and eliminating the 10 second rule.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
              Agree with all that. Timeouts are a drag on the game anyway but when you have virtual back to back ones it sucks. Also, if officials called moving screens with any consistency there would be a ton of players in foul trouble.
              Or they would stop setting moving screens.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                I am not sure you need a 10 second call at all with a shot clock. It shrinks the floor for the defense and I don't think you need to do that. I would favor shortening the shot clock time to 30 or 25 seconds and eliminating the 10 second rule.
                Isn't it already at 30 for the women? I thought they had a shorter shot clock because of the no 10 second rule.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  Isn't it already at 30 for the women? I thought they had a shorter shot clock because of the no 10 second rule.
                  thats what i thought too. I would love to see a 25, heck even just go for the 24 second shot clock and get rid of the 10 second back court call.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

I am not a basketball expert or a referee, but I have listened closely to experts yelling from the stands for years. Based on that, the NCAA needs to implement rules pertaining to these comments I've heard regularly from fans:

"OVER THE BACK! HE'S OVER THE BACK!"

"THREE SECONDS!! THREE SECONDS!!"

"MOVING SCREEN!! MOVING SCREEN!!!"

"CARRY!! HE'S PALMING THE BALL!!!"

"THAT'S A WALK!!!! TRAVELING!!

"BOOOOOOOOO!!! BOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"
                    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I wouldn't mind a couple of other rules, a timeout in the back court does not reset the 10 second timer. A timeout on the baseline freezes the in bounce pass. Get rid of 1 timeout. Shot clock to 30 seconds for men's as well. Some little things to speed up the pace of the game a little bit.

Comment

Teams (players) will have to be astute in recognizing the press,as those teams who are good at employing it now will take full advantage of the new 10 sec rule.Can't be caught "day dreaming",situational awareness will become much more important next year.

Comment

Originally posted by jackdaniel View Post
                          Teams (players) will have to be astute in recognizing the press,as those teams who are good at employing it now will take full advantage of the new 10 sec rule.Can't be caught "day dreaming",situational awareness will become much more important next year.
                          It shouldn't be that much of an adjustment since most girls played with the 10 second rule in high school ball.

Comment

More rule changes possible: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rule-ma...medium=twitter

Please Lord, eliminate some timeouts. The end of games have become painful to watch. Also, reduce the shot clock to 28-30 seconds.

Comment

I think a 25 second shot clock would be good.

I would get rid of most rules and say if the defender impedes the offensives player from moving freely or going for a shot its a foul or if a defender has established defensive guarding position the offensive play van not dislodge him from that spot.

Oh probably the call they never make and drives me crazy the failure to call illegal screens. Its probably something 95% of teams do consistantly and it never gets called and its not fair for the defense to make illegal acreens like that

Comment

Working...
                              X