Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's only a game--until it isn't (re: Louisville's Kevin Ware)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's only a game--until it isn't (re: Louisville's Kevin Ware)

Good essay from Bob Valvano (Louisville's radio network color anaylst) from his Facebook page (apparently), as relayed by the web site Awful Announcing.

The essay is anything but awful--closer to awesome, in its most sober sense of inspiring awe--or perhaps--reflection.

Like I say, sometimes the game becomes something more than a game.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: It's only a game--until it isn't (re: Louisville's Kevin Ware)

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Good essay from Bob Valvano (Louisville's radio network color anaylst) from his Facebook page (apparently), as relayed by the web site Awful Announcing.

The essay is anything but awful--closer to awesome, in its most sober sense of inspiring awe--or perhaps--reflection.

Like I say, sometimes the game becomes something more than a game.
    You have to admire the Louisville players for keeping their focus with all the emotions after the injury. You could see by the look in their eyes that they were on a mission.I am not usually a big Pitino fan , but I gained more respect for both him and the program after yesterday. Hopefully it will be a Louisville - Michigan final a week from tonight. That could be a great game.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
      Good essay from Bob Valvano (Louisville's radio network color anaylst) from his Facebook page (apparently), as relayed by the web site Awful Announcing. The essay is anything but awful--closer to awesome, in its most sober sense of inspiring awe--or perhaps--reflection.Like I say, sometimes the game becomes something more than a game.
      That was moving. Sometimes we forget they are just 18-22 year old young men ( kids). We all need to remember that about all of our athletes. Thanks for sharing Filbert.

Comment

Yes, good find filbert...thanks for posting. Watching the reaction of the Duke players and coaches reminds me also that those guys in the trenches have a much better perspective on these matters than me yelling my fool head off up in row 15.

Comment

Compound lower leg fractures (especially when they are open) are very gruesome to see. I've seen more than my fair share usually as a consequence of major trauma (motorcycle or motor vehicle accidents)

The good news, he will likely make a full recovery and I expect he will be in attendance at practice this week.

Anybody else at the barn on SDSU's campus in about 1992 when this same injury occurred to a friend of mine? Sounded like a 1 x 2 being snapped in half. He went up for a lay-up, landed awkwardly and instead of rolling his ankle or blowing out his knee his tibia and fibula snapped. It was scary to say the least.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            Compound lower leg fractures (especially when they are open) are very gruesome to see. I've seen more than my fair share usually as a consequence of major trauma (motorcycle or motor vehicle accidents)

The good news, he will likely make a full recovery and I expect he will be in attendance at practice this week.

Anybody else at the barn on SDSU's campus in about 1992 when this same injury occurred to a friend of mine? Sounded like a 1 x 2 being snapped in half. He went up for a lay-up, landed awkwardly and instead of rolling his ankle or blowing out his knee his tibia and fibula snapped. It was scary to say the least.
            I'm guessing that a tib-fib break(even a compound one) would be better to heal from than blowing out a knee, or am I wrong about that(assuming no major complications like a bone infection from the open wound)? Have there been any details released about the condition of his tendons/ligaments and the extent of the muscle damage? On the personal plus-side, at least I never have to worry about a tib-fib fracture. You need fibulas for that to happen and one of mine is in a medical waste landfill somewhere and the other is in my arm. I love covering for a bio or a&p class and using myself as a demonstration aid. Keeps the kids focused while I'm trying to kill the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
              I'm guessing that a tib-fib break(even a compound one) would be better to heal from than blowing out a knee, or am I wrong about that(assuming no major complications like a bone infection from the open wound)? Have there been any details released about the condition of his tendons/ligaments and the extent of the muscle damage? On the personal plus-side, at least I never have to worry about a tib-fib fracture. You need fibulas for that to happen and one of mine is in a medical waste landfill somewhere and the other is in my arm. I love covering for a bio or a&p class and using myself as a demonstration aid. Keeps the kids focused while I'm trying to kill the clock.
              In most instances you would recover from a tib/fib sooner than from a major knee ligament injury (ACL, MCL, meniscus tear or the typical "unhappy triad"). This was an open fracture but it was in a fairly sterile environment and he got proper medical care almost immediately.

I expect that he will be back on the court later this summer.
              We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Working...
              X