X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UMCK getting a visit from the Valley?

http://www.kansascity.com/2013/03/31...onference.html

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...issouri-valley

Re: UMCK getting a visit from the Valley?

This is one of the silliest things I've ever seen.

There is no interpretation of this action that makes the Valley look good.

Either they legitimately think UMKC is an asset to the Valley when it was a positive liability to the Summit, or they are cynically visiting UMKC because they've already made up their mind about Valpo and picked three back-marker schools to make Valpo look really really good.

Comment

Snowballs vs Hell describes UMKC chances to MoValley.

Comment

I think the Valley adds Valpo...it just makes too much sense.

My only concern is how does the Horizon respond now that they would be down to 8 schools? I would love to bring the Wisconsin schools into the Summit but I think that would take more Horizon defections.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
          Snowballs vs Hell describes UMKC chances to MoValley.
          There was an article or radoi station in KC that was giving the info earlier during the release of UMKC going to the WAC that had no idea who was in the WAC and that the teams in the Summit were ready to implode and scatter to parts unknown. If the Roos think that they are in the MVC, it would be that there would be choice of setup area for cameras in the gymnasium. Then the 300 people that would go to the game could watch at home. The KC market is ripe, but there is no KC interest in the UMKC program to attract most conference interests.
          Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

It does have that horrible, this-can't-be-happening train-wreck aspect to it that seems to be so common nowadays.

UMKC has done absolutely nothing to merit any interest whatsoever from the Valley. (Not saying that any other Summit school really has, mind you.)

If the Valley actually invites UMKC, it's an act of desperation that truly boggles the mind (especially considering that Wichita State has made it to the Final Four).

Incomprehensible.
            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
              I think the Valley adds Valpo...it just makes too much sense.

My only concern is how does the Horizon respond now that they would be down to 8 schools? I would love to bring the Wisconsin schools into the Summit but I think that would take more Horizon defections.
              I think the Summit's 'fall back' if the Horizon pulls Oakland out (which seems likely if Valpo goes to the Valley) would be to invite UND & UNC from the Big Sky--I have no doubt that the Big Sky would allow them out for the non-FB sports given the ridiculous travel costs.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                It does have that horrible, this-can't-be-happening train-wreck aspect to it that seems to be so common nowadays.

UMKC has done absolutely nothing to merit any interest whatsoever from the Valley. (Not saying that any other Summit school really has, mind you.)

If the Valley actually invites UMKC, it's an act of desperation that truly boggles the mind (especially considering that Wichita State has made it to the Final Four).

Incomprehensible.
                UMKC is a very odd choice for a site visit. Could we be seeing a Valley commish desparate? Is it an attempt to pacify WSUthrough location? With Tulsa heading to the new/old big east is their fear that WSU follows for a non-FB invite? I think the Valley could be in trouble.

Comment

This is so nuts, I don't have words. If this does go down, NDSU/SDSU/WIU/USD need to leave the MVFC and figure something else on our own just for pure spite and to screw over the nutless fb schools in the Valley. Not because none of us were invited, but because UMKC was deemed superior. I give up, I think I'll start collecting stamps or maybe make fly fishing lures, college sports is just too stupid now.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    UMKC is a very odd choice for a site visit. Could we be seeing a Valley commish desparate? Is it an attempt to pacify WSUthrough location? With Tulsa heading to the new/old big east is their fear that WSU follows for a non-FB invite? I think the Valley could be in trouble.
                    I think you hit the nail on the head, from reading reports, the reason ORU is/was being considered is because of Wichita St., now that Creighton is gone they want to keep them happy. Travel aspect of the valley and KC market help out, but as stated UMKC is a school that hasn't done anything in the past 10 years to warrant anyone wanting them, yet from one of the top mid-major conferences there is.

As for would the Horizon take Oakland? IDK

As for teams that would be targeted for the Summit League if Oakland were to leave, I feel that there has been talk with Northern Colorado, I've found numerous newspaper articles where Douple or AD's/Presidents mention Northern Colorado by name. My guess is they are waiting to see how Denver likes it before they consider the move. North Dakota? I feel that the Summit League would rather save face and have them contact the Summit League and make them look desperate. Plus I feel that until they have a new name set in stone they are a difficult school to approach.

Comment

Valley looking at UMKC is essentially saying "Hey, we have a team in the Final Four---what can we do that would, instead of building on Wichita State's success, will go the furthest towards making us look like laughing stocks in the entire Midwest and all around the country? Hey, here's an idea, let's make a site visit to UMKC! Yeah, that'll be GREAT!"

Because yes, Valley schools, we ARE laughing at you right now for considering UMKC.

And oh, by the way, Go Shockers! (At least for one more game, after that Go Wolverines!)
                      "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Of course . . . it is April Fool's day, isn't it?
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

I will join the chorus - this makes zero sense. Perhaps instead of appeasing Wichita State, they are preparing for them to leave?

UMKC would lower conference RPI, yadda yadda yadda.............

Comment

Originally posted by TK22867 View Post
                            I will join the chorus - this makes zero sense. Perhaps instead of appeasing Wichita State, they are preparing for them to leave?

UMKC would lower conference RPI, yadda yadda yadda.............
                            This. From the sounds of the MVC forum, Wichita St would leave anytime they got an offer from a better conference (not all that different from Oakland). They are just as much of an outlier in the MVC as Creighton was.

If the MVC adds UMKC and Wichita St leaves, the MVC is a 1 bid league.

They had 2 top 100 RPI teams outside Creighton and Wichita St (despite the advantage of playing those schools).

The Summit had 2 top 100 RPI teams this year (despite the disadvantage of playing UMKC).

If the MVC would add UMKC for some inexplicable reason, it would be the beginning of the end of that league.
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

UNC & UND are both tied to where does your football team play? That limitation kept UND from even continuing with a scheduled site visit from Summit League officials. If Summit League is going to support obtaining these schools, need to address how to add these two schools to a MVFC/Summit League conference.

The two schools would be good additions as they both play baseball and have swim teams. Both are areas where the Summit League currently hosts associate teams or are at the minimal numbers to have an auto-bid conference qualifier.

Comment

Working...
                              X