Two more FCS schools moving up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two more FCS schools moving up

Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are making the move to FBS by joining the Sunbelt conference in 2015. That leaves the Southern Conference with just 7 football playing members.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2013/03...join-sun-belt/

Re: Two more FCS schools moving up

Originally posted by Rabbit74 View Post
    Georgia Southern and Appalachian State are making the move to FBS by joining the Sunbelt conference in 2015. That leaves the Southern Conference with just 7 football playing members.

http://collegesportsinfo.com/2013/03...join-sun-belt/
    It has been known for a while that they were going FBS, but the surprising aspect is that even though they won't go until 2015 they are not playoff eligible for the FCS playoffs the next 2 years

Comment

Huge blow to FCS football.

JMU and Delaware could be next to leave.

Comment

SDSU is planning to build a 22,000 seat stadium, readily expandable to 40,000.

I ain't sayin' nuthin'. I don't know nuthin'. I'm just sayin' . . .

(I do suspect the time is approaching where there will be a concerted effort by the FCS schools and their good buddies in the major media outlets to try to split Division I, in essence recreating the D-I and D-II of thirty years ago--pushing as many of the D-I newbies back down into the lower division as the FCS schools think they can get away with pushing down. One signal that it's starting to happen would be if they start putting pressure on the NCAA to actually enforce the FCS football attendance requirement of 15,000 per game, or start rumbling about increasing that number. You'll know they're getting REALLY serious when they start talking about minimum attendance requirements for basketball.)
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          Huge blow to FCS football.

JMU and Delaware could be next to leave.
          Agree. This is not good for SDSU or NDSU. FCS has been getting diluted and now we lose 2 top programs. This is bad.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            SDSU is planning to build a 22,000 seat stadium, readily expandable to 40,000.

I ain't sayin' nuthin'. I don't know nuthin'. I'm just sayin' . . .

(I do suspect the time is approaching where there will be a concerted effort by the FCS schools and their good buddies in the major media outlets to try to split Division I, in essence recreating the D-I and D-II of thirty years ago--pushing as many of the D-I newbies back down into the lower division as the FCS schools think they can get away with pushing down. One signal that it's starting to happen would be if they start putting pressure on the NCAA to actually enforce the FCS football attendance requirement of 15,000 per game, or start rumbling about increasing that number. You'll know they're getting REALLY serious when they start talking about minimum attendance requirements for basketball.)
            I've been concerned about the conversion of FCS to DII football for several years now. Multiple factors at play including the ability to schedule FBS teams for guarantee money to support increased scholarship requirements.

I think we are headed back to a similar landscape to the early 1980's. Does SDSU want to be at the top of FCS/DII or mired somewhere in the middle or bottom of the FBS/DI ranks?

I see the same thing happening in basketball. Thank God Wichita State found a way to make the final 4. When the sweet 16 consisted of 13 BCS conference teams and 3 mid-majors the BCS pundits were complaining loudly about the 36 or 37 non-BCS qualifiers. I think they have a legitimate beef.

The tourney is great the way it is, fantastic, best sporting event in the world in my estimation. However, anybody that doesn't think the BCS conference want their own tourney and all the money it will generate split only amongst the BCS programs isn't being honest with themselves. So, the day will come when basketball has a BCS tourney and a non-BCS DI tourney. I think its likely to happen sooner than later.
            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
              BCS pundits were complaining loudly
              Pundits aren't the same as administrators, and O'Bannon is likely to rock the BCS landscape. O'Bannon isn't going to affect SDSU the way it will affect Ohio State.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                Pundits aren't the same as administrators, and O'Bannon is likely to rock the BCS landscape. O'Bannon isn't going to affect SDSU the way it will affect Ohio State.
                Agreed. Its all speculation and I'm certainly paranoid about it.

Comment

Working...
                X