Big 10 Pushes Fall Start for Baseball Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big 10 Pushes Fall Start for Baseball Season

Interesting idea coming from the Big 10, I'd be all for it.....

The Big Ten is measuring support for a proposal that would give baseball teams the option of playing nonconference games in the fall that would count toward determining the NCAA Tournament field the following spring.

Big Ten coaches voted to continue studying the possibility, and deputy commissioner Brad Traviolia said the conference is in the process of explaining the concept to coaches across the country.

Traviolia wrote in an email to The Associated Press that he couldn't predict when, or if, the conference would submit the proposal to the NCAA legislative process.

"However," he wrote, "we would plan to move forward once we feel we have a broad base of support."

The Big Ten and other northern conferences for years have sought ways for their schools to gain greater access to the NCAA Tournament, which has been dominated by programs from the South and West since the late 1980s.

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextr...3_TheBig558314

Re: Big 10 Pushes Fall Start for Baseball Season

That wouldn't be a bad thing, IMO. So many games get cancelled in the spring because of the bad weather, it'd be nice to have some games that you play at the beginning of the school that would help.

And if it works for Golf and the like, why not Baseball?
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

It would also help to cut down on all the travel our teams have to do in the spring.

Comment

I'm for some sort of fall games. SEC would be against it (they get a ton of home games because of geography and have quite a few football/baseball players)

Comment

Working...
        X