Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT: one twin cities commentator breaks the ice..........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: one twin cities commentator breaks the ice..........

makes case for the "U" to fire borton and tubby. still think tubby makes ncaa's, but, women won't. plus, borton had a significant decommit for next year. would be a expensive ordeal, but, wouldn't shock me---especially borton. i also am of the opinion tubby and the "U" should part ways---i thought it was a very good hire, until watching him coach.

if i heard him correctly, he thought the "shake-up" should happen immediately.

Re: OT: one twin cities commentator breaks the ice..........

And who would this commentator be?
    "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by krak-r-jacks View Post
      makes case for the "U" to fire borton and tubby. still think tubby makes ncaa's, but, women won't. plus, borton had a significant decommit for next year. would be a expensive ordeal, but, wouldn't shock me---especially borton. i also am of the opinion tubby and the "U" should part ways---i thought it was a very good hire, until watching him coach.

if i heard him correctly, he thought the "shake-up" should happen immediately.
      I follow Minnesota sports a lot and I grew up a huge Gopher fan. According to articles I've read from Star Tribune, etc, Tubby has a no fire clause in the middle of the season so that won't happen right away. My guess is if he doesn't win any games in the NCAA, he's gone. If he wins one game it's on the fence and if he makes the Sweet 16 he stays for sure because of his contract. Tubby just received a contract extension last summer, but it also decreased his buyout; however, every year he makes the Sweet 16 or wins the Big Ten he gets another year added to his contract, which now ends in 2017.

The University of Minnesota is still paying Monson (basketball), Brewster (football), and Mason (football). Add in the $800,000 from the UNC football buyout debacle and they still have a hunk of change to pay off. Yes, that's right. The University of Minnesota bought out the University of North Carolina for FOOTBALL!

Firing Tubby would still pay him $2.5 million for the buyout so Teague has some tough decisions coming up. I would love for him to get Shaka Smart from VCU, but who knows if he'd want to come to Minnesota. For those that don't know, Teague is the Minnesota AD and he came from VCU where Smart was. Shaka Smart grew up in Wisconsin so it would be closer to home for him.
      Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Minnesota is #7 in big Ten and has split with #8 Iowa and #10 Northwestern. They play Ohio State and Indiana next. Before you know it, Minnesota could be #9 in the Big Ten. The Gophers could still very well miss the NCAA. Also, don't forget Tubby won with Pitino's players at Kentucky
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          And who would this commentator be?
          Dan Barriero---i know he used to have a column in the startrib, not sure if he still does. catch bits and pieces of his radio show every now and then.

Comment

yeah, barriero made some good points of why it should happen now, but, i thought 95% chance that is not gonna happen now. tubby and georgia was a good fit. he had players at kentucky.

the reason i brought all this up was, mainly, because of pam borton. there seems to be some concern on this board when her name comes up as being on the "hot seat". always seems to be some discussion on whether AJ would show interest.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
              I follow Minnesota sports a lot and I grew up a huge Gopher fan. According to articles I've read from Star Tribune, etc, Tubby has a no fire clause in the middle of the season so that won't happen right away. My guess is if he doesn't win any games in the NCAA, he's gone. If he wins one game it's on the fence and if he makes the Sweet 16 he stays for sure because of his contract. Tubby just received a contract extension last summer, but it also decreased his buyout; however, every year he makes the Sweet 16 or wins the Big Ten he gets another year added to his contract, which now ends in 2017.

The University of Minnesota is still paying Monson (basketball), Brewster (football), and Mason (football). Add in the $800,000 from the UNC football buyout debacle and they still have a hunk of change to pay off. Yes, that's right. The University of Minnesota bought out the University of North Carolina for FOOTBALL!

Firing Tubby would still pay him $2.5 million for the buyout so Teague has some tough decisions coming up. I would love for him to get Shaka Smart from VCU, but who knows if he'd want to come to Minnesota. For those that don't know, Teague is the Minnesota AD and he came from VCU where Smart was. Shaka Smart grew up in Wisconsin so it would be closer to home for him.
              Maybe single year contracts are not that bad. Firing Tubby will only incur another buyout which UM can not pay off in one short transaction.

Comment

I knew that they were still paying for some poor hiring decisions but why did they pay money to UNC Football? Color me confused. Maybe it is the AD who needs to go first, Tubby and Barton second.

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                  I knew that they were still paying for some poor hiring decisions but why did they pay money to UNC Football? Color me confused. Maybe it is the AD who needs to go first, Tubby and Barton second.
                  The AD did get fired last June.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                    Sounds like that was the right move. Sorry, I don't follow MN sports. We have too many issues at CU to waste my time paying attention to MN.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                      Not quite sure where the information came from that Maturi was fired. He had been talking retirement for awhile and announced in early February that he would be stepping down as of June 30th. Still works as an assistant VP. Not saying he wasn't encouraged to speed up his retirement date , but fired AD's don't usually stay on the job for 5 months after they announce their retirement. He will be remembered for struggling football and basketball programs , but he also was the driving force behind funding TCF Bank stadium.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                        I never understood it either; however, I'm a huge Jerry Kill fan so I have to let the guy do what he does and trust him.

Also, Dan Barreiro is a complete rube and shouldn't be trusted with any of his comments. He's on KFAN (100.3), which is the major sports talk radio show in the Twin Cities, from 3-6:30pm every day. He's great to listen to but he's also doing his job and making sure he keeps his listeners.
                        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                          Not quite sure where the information came from that Maturi was fired. He had been talking retirement for awhile and announced in early February that he would be stepping down as of June 30th. Still works as an assistant VP. Not saying he wasn't encouraged to speed up his retirement date , but fired AD's don't usually stay on the job for 5 months after they announce their retirement. He will be remembered for struggling football and basketball programs , but he also was the driving force behind funding TCF Bank stadium.
                          Hendry the GM for the cubs who was fired stayed on for awhile past his termination to help finalize contracts and such for players that were drafted that year. dont remember all the details but it was something along those lines. different sport I know.
                          "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                          X