X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blindsided:How one college coach took on tragedy

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...ook-on-tragedy

Re: Blindsided:How one college coach took on tragedy

very moving article, can't imagine the grief this fools terrible choices have caused. Praying for the Bigler family
    Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

I couldn't do it.

Heartbreak subsided and rage took over and I had to stop reading after this sentence "I couldn't figure out what he was doing," she said. "Then he came up to me and offered me a can of pop."

"Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Comment

It is a compelling story to maybe rethink waiting for a third offense to incarcerate for DUI. A second offense creating a ban from driving would have been helpful here. There must be a rational method to ban people with this problem from driving. It does not make sense that someone with a drinking and driving problem cannot be identified until there is 3 or more violations and manslaughter before action can be made.
        Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by OldHare View Post
          It is a compelling story to maybe rethink waiting for a third offense to incarcerate for DUI. A second offense creating a ban from driving would have been helpful here. There must be a rational method to ban people with this problem from driving. It does not make sense that someone with a drinking and driving problem cannot be identified until there is 3 or more violations and manslaughter before action can be made.
          But, all our prisons are full. No where to put these types of people.

I have a solution. Make our penalties on murders tougher. You kill someone....we kill you back. Then incarcerate repeat DUI offenders. Then when they do get out put ignition locks on their vehicles.

What that individual put the Biglers through is unaccaptable. That dude was absolutely smashed.

Comment

Seems like SD law does require incareration for third offense, but with full prisons as Montana Jack alluded to we end up at the mercy of a judges decisons DUI court, breath analyzers and what have you. This individual feels he has done nothing wrong and will keep on drinking until he kills himself. Its shame he might take others with him in the process. This is a social problem, which has a criminal side to it. Keeping these guys off the road is not a easy task.

Comment

I can not imagine the agony. heart-wrenching.

Comment

Sentence just handed down - 48 months - will serve about 30 months. He will be back driving in 2 1/2 years - while the Bigler family are sentenced to a life time of grief.
                Message for the youth: “Set your goals high and work for them, because if you set your goals where they should be, it’s going to require a lot of hard work. And even if you don’t achieve them, it shows longevity, and it shows commitment. And those are both things you need for the rest of your life,” Tony Fiegen

Comment

Originally posted by SkippyJack View Post
                  Sentence just handed down - 48 months - will serve about 30 months. He will be back driving in 2 1/2 years - while the Bigler family are sentenced to a life time of grief.
                  You can't tell me that's even close to enough time. Sometimes our legal system is a joke.

Comment

Originally posted by leeshajo View Post
                    I can not imagine the agony. heart-wrenching.
                    It would seem logical for multiple offenders of DUI that the lifetime suspension of driving privileges is warranted. I am sure we all are familiar with those sort of characters that do not seem to learn or care about behavior or taking control of a car when drinking. They demonstrated the need for restraint.
                    Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

wouldnt this be considered vehicular homicide? dude should have been locked away untill he is atleast old and gray and cut off his hands to he cant drive and kill anymore. This as a parent of a 18 month old is what worries me. that was such a sad story to read. What they all have been through is so heart wrenching. no other way to put it.

when I worked at a nursing home and have grieving familes, it is obviously much different, but a few words or the thought that helped many where, to be absent from the earth is to be present with the lord. Truly helped a lot of familes. At least he has Grandma to play with in heaven.
                      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

It would seem logical for multiple offenders of DUI that the lifetime suspension of driving privileges is warranted. I am sure we all are familiar with those sort of characters that do not seem to learn or care about behavior or taking control of a car when drinking. They demonstrated the need for restraint.
                        Problem is you can take away the privilege, but the ability is still there. Most just drive without a license.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                          wouldnt this be considered vehicular homicide? dude should have been locked away untill he is atleast old and gray and cut off his hands to he cant drive and kill anymore. This as a parent of a 18 month old is what worries me. that was such a sad story to read. What they all have been through is so heart wrenching. no other way to put it.

when I worked at a nursing home and have grieving familes, it is obviously much different, but a few words or the thought that helped many where, to be absent from the earth is to be present with the lord. Truly helped a lot of familes. At least he has Grandma to play with in heaven.
                          Vehicular homicide defendants dont get locked up till they are old and gray. That sentence is pretty standard.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                            Vehicular homicide defendants dont get locked up till they are old and gray. That sentence is pretty standard.
                            I had to seperate thoughts. First shouldn't he have been charged with vehicular homicide and second thought was his punishment should be to be locked up till he is old and no longer a danger.
                            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
                              I had to seperate thoughts. First shouldn't he have been charged with vehicular homicide and second thought was his punishment should be to be locked up till he is old and no longer a danger.
                              Though behind bars, he might not drive any vehicle except for a golf cart to haul laundry or something of that nature, he still will be able to get his alchohol if he craves it, which I think he does, and therein lies the problem. The idea of being locked up is to get him to think about the damage he has created and the consequences leading to his drinking. No one sober would consider driving under these circumsstances, but what the hell one drink cant kill you, but it can kill those innocent by-standers riding in the vehicles that make contact with this driver. 0.351 is not normal and if everyone tried to function in this manner, no one would be safe. My point is that alchohol is a powerful drug and abused it can create problems for those of us who dont deserve this abuse.

Comment

Working...
                              X