Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Originally posted by filbert View Post
    Creighton has done the nearly inconceivable--gotten Big Red fans to root for somebody other than the team with the N on their heads.
    Some of them - not all of them. (Them=us) I will never, ever, ever cheer for dem Bluebirds. Ever.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
      Crieghton will be just fine the the new Big East. They're in a great sports town and Omaha loves them. Once the TV deal is done this decision will look like an absolute no-brainer. And they will compete just fine in this new conference that IMO will be the premier conference in the nation in 10 years. Again...no-brainer for Crieghton.
      Word is the TV contract with Fox pays each school at least $3 million annually, which should go a long way toward covering travel expenses. More big-name games at the CLink will drive up ticket prices and revenue. Something like two-thirds of Creighton's students come from outside the Omaha footprint. It will help student recruiting. Creighton will be fine, unless their basketball program completely goes in the tank.
      @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
      --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

And its official. Creighton, Xavier and Butler join Catholic 7 in new Big East.
        "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
        "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

It just seems like the timing of this is off. To announce this the day before your play in the NCAA tourney is a bit distracting to the player and coaches. You know the press will be asking them about the New Big East instead of their next opponent. I would have thought they would have waited until the Final Four when all of the media and school admin are attending the event and most of your teams are not playing any more.

Go Jacks!!!
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
            It just seems like the timing of this is off. To announce this the day before your play in the NCAA tourney is a bit distracting to the player and coaches. You know the press will be asking them about the New Big East instead of their next opponent. I would have thought they would have waited until the Final Four when all of the media and school admin are attending the event and most of your teams are not playing any more.

Go Jacks!!!
            I'd agree with you if everyone didn't already know it was coming anyways. So they were being asked the questions already. I would have done it last weekend though

Comment

So one from the MVC, and two from the A10.

Now, what does the A10 do?
              Do they look to the MVC? Do they look to the OVC? Do they look to Conference USA? Do they look to the "new" "American Conference" (former big East members)?

Dominoes, people.

Comment

I'm not sure the A10 has many good replacement candidates available right now. But they were a 16-team league this year, so they don't have any great pressure to add more teams. If they do, I'd expect them to look more towards the non-football-playing Colonial schools than elsewhere.

Update: I see the A10 also loses Charlotte and Temple, but that doesn't change my fundamental analysis, as both of them are FBS football schools going to the New Not-The-Big East conference and C-USA, respectively.
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Sounds like the A10 is ready to make their first post Catholic 7 raid move....

WASHINGTON — An official with knowledge of the agreement says George Mason is joining the Atlantic 10 next season.

The official told The Associated Press on Sunday that Mason will announce that it is leaving the Colonial Athletic Association effective July 1.

The official spoke on condition of anonymity because both the school and the conference plan to announce the move Monday.
                  http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...e9c_story.html

Comment

The CAA is a conference in flux as well. I think ODU is gone after this year, and certainly the CAA has to be concerned about JMU leaving soon as well, they have football stadium ready for FBS. And what about Georgia State, what's next for them?
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                      The CAA is a conference in flux as well. I think ODU is gone after this year, and certainly the CAA has to be concerned about JMU leaving soon as well, they have football stadium ready for FBS. And what about Georgia State, what's next for them?
                      Georgia State is leaving for the Sun Belt this coming fall. ODU is leaving for C-USA as well.

Comment

The CAA recently added College of Charleston for Olympic sports and Albany/Stony Brook for football only.

Not sure who they will look to replace GMU with. Sounds like if JMU got a CUSA or MAC bid they'd leave but they are refusing to join the Sun Belt.

Comment

Working...
                        X