Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
    Nine in MVC is possible if no one else decides to leave. IMHO, if another school leaves then all bets are off. The MVC could start raiding other conferences e.g. OVC, Horizon. Or they could spin apart along public-private lines.
    Pretty sure a private/public split only happens if one or two more decide to get out of the conference after a CU departure. Are UNI and ISUr really interested in moving up to FBS? Do either have the money? Is Evansville really looking? Does Wichita begin to shop themselves around? Everyone talks of the possible demise of the Summit, but if CU really does leave the stability of the MVC could be in question.

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
      Why would Belmont go to MVC? They just went from Atlantic Sun last year to the OVC this year and then MVC? I don't know about that.
      Because the split of the MVC would dictate the private schools in the conference wanting to add another private school to replace Creighton. Right now, the split in the conference was 6 public and 4 private institutions. If you remember, the private schools threw a big fit a few years back when the Gateway decided to use the Valley name and logo for football. The private schools stated that using the Valley trademarks for football was weakened the Valley reputation. Though Creighton leaving would take the private schools down to 3 members and that divide might soften and go away.

If you were a conference who's footprint was in the Midwest/Great Lakes region, having a team in Nashville beats having a team in let's say the Dakotas. Unless some big dominoes fall into place, the Dakota schools and UNO probably won't be in the Missouri Valley Conference anytime within the next 5-10 years. I think they will go after already established and thriving programs and wouldn't be surprised if they attempted to raid some members from the Horizon League.

Comment

Originally posted by SidelineObserver View Post
        Because the split of the MVC would dictate the private schools in the conference wanting to add another private school to replace Creighton. Right now, the split in the conference was 6 public and 4 private institutions. If you remember, the private schools threw a big fit a few years back when the Gateway decided to use the Valley name and logo for football. The private schools stated that using the Valley trademarks for football was weakened the Valley reputation. Though Creighton leaving would take the private schools down to 3 members and that divide might soften and go away.If you were a conference who's footprint was in the Midwest/Great Lakes region, having a team in Nashville beats having a team in let's say the Dakotas. Unless some big dominoes fall into place, the Dakota schools and UNO probably won't be in the Missouri Valley Conference anytime within the next 5-10 years. I think they will go after already established and thriving programs and wouldn't be surprised if they attempted to raid some members from the Horizon League.
        My point was why would Belmont go to MVC not that MVC wouldn't want them. Before the McDermott's went to Creighton, MVC was a one bid league. Now, I am not saying that the MVC hasn't improved as a whole but my whole point was that was that leaving a good mid major like A-10 for the Big East is a little different than leaving OVC to MVC and that Belmont already left one conference and that would mean they would hav to leave two conferences in two years. I guess I just dont know if going from mid-major to mid-major to mid-major in 2 years is worth it. Belmont very well could go to MVC though.
        "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Belmont is new to the OVC, so its not as if they have many ties to the conference. The OVC is more of a 1 bid league then the MVC. The MVC was the premier mid-major conference way before McDermit came to Creighton.

Money makes all the decisions and my guess is even without Creighton the MVC gets more for TV rights and conference bball shares then the OVC does.

If Denver really doesn't want to go the the MVC, and if the MVC is set to add only a private school the list isn't long. Its ORU, Belmont, Loyola-Chicago, and the only other school that I'd watch out for would be Gonzaga, and yet I haven't even heard that rumor. There just isn't a ton of D-I private schools that fit the Valley footprint, that would be worth an addition.

Comment

As long as we are throwing material on the wall-if more than one school leaves the Valley, should someone like UNI or another football school consider the Summit? It would be a fraction of the stupid move UMKC made going to the WAC. This statement has not basis in fact, but I remember how crazy it sounded that the Roos would go to the WAC and recent history has the Summit making positive growth. The best guess about the MVC is that they will take a few days to check their footing after the blow of their premier basketball program deciding to relocate. I would speculate that there will be few knocks on the back door of the MVC commissioner office.
            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Who would of thought that a one time NCC school would end up in the Big East.

Comment

Would be interesting to see what happens if the MVC lost another team, like say Evansville to the Horizon.

The Valley's big problem is that none of these private schools fit the Valley's profile. Valpo is probably the closest.

Belmont has no fans, ORU doesn't have a lot of money and Denver is out of the footprint and doesn't play a lot of sports that other valley teams play. I'm not sure when the last time Loyola was even good(looks like they've had one 20 win season since 1985).

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                  Would be interesting to see what happens if the MVC lost another team, like say Evansville to the Horizon.

The Valley's big problem is that none of these private schools fit the Valley's profile. Valpo is probably the closest.

Belmont has no fans, ORU doesn't have a lot of money and Denver is out of the footprint and doesn't play a lot of sports that other valley teams play. I'm not sure when the last time Loyola was even good(looks like they've had one 20 win season since 1985).
                  Creighton to the Big East makes about as much sense as some of the loonier football driven moves that have been made (SMU to the then Big East being a prime example). It's good for exactly one sport, and a mess for all the others. I thought Creighton's admins were smarter than this. Guess I forgot my H.L. Mencken.

The problem for the Dakotas is that Creighton's departure moves the MVC 'center' eastward, where now Belmont & Murray State are even more attractive.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    When pigs can fly, and picture the Bush Beans commerical.
                    I am certain they will. The MVC is certainly approaching the 2013-14 season as a conference minus Creighton. The private schools in the MVC better be looking at their options, if you get what I'm hinting at.
                    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                      Creighton to the Big East makes about as much sense as some of the loonier football driven moves that have been made (SMU to the then Big East being a prime example). It's good for exactly one sport, and a mess for all the others. I thought Creighton's admins were smarter than this. Guess I forgot my H.L. Mencken.

The problem for the Dakotas is that Creighton's departure moves the MVC 'center' eastward, where now Belmont & Murray State are even more attractive.
                      Creighton leaving helps if the Dakota's ever want to join, they didn't want us in the MVC from what I've heard. Still think another private school has to leave before it becomes a real possibility though.

I do think Creighton will end up regretting the move they made, the Big East is going to be a big change for that athletic department...their budget will need to expand rapidly. I'd hate to see that program turn into DePaul.

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
                        they didn't want us in the MVC from what I've heard.
                        I can't imagine there's a long list of schools that want SDSU/NDSU in the MVC. UNI maybe, and that's about it. I can't imagine many other schools being that enthusiastic about regular trips to Brookings & Fargo.

Comment

Crieghton will be just fine the the new Big East. They're in a great sports town and Omaha loves them. Once the TV deal is done this decision will look like an absolute no-brainer. And they will compete just fine in this new conference that IMO will be the premier conference in the nation in 10 years. Again...no-brainer for Crieghton.
                          SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                            Crieghton will be just fine the the new Big East. They're in a great sports town and Omaha loves them. Once the TV deal is done this decision will look like an absolute no-brainer. And they will compete just fine in this new conference that IMO will be the premier conference in the nation in 10 years. Again...no-brainer for Crieghton.
                            You are correct The big adjustment will be among the remaing schools trying to get to the level enjoyed with the Jays as the main event. The story was that 6000 Jay fans made the trip to St Louis for tourney. That is a big hole in a crowd of 16,000. Will the rest of the 10,000 attend if the Jays are not there? It will not be like the Jays lifting their arm out of a bucket of water and there is gap remaining. MVC will take a blow no matter which direction evolves. That is the rest of the story.
                            Best to remember these are kids and they are doing everything they can to entertain us, be scholars, and all in all be great humans. Jackedforlife

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                              I am certain they will. The MVC is certainly approaching the 2013-14 season as a conference minus Creighton. The private schools in the MVC better be looking at their options, if you get what I'm hinting at.
                              I just saw a pig fly by my window. After Creighton what private schools are there in the MVC ? I believe Evansville and Drake are both municpal run instutions. Opps forgot Bradley is a private institution.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                                Creighton has done the nearly inconceivable--gotten Big Red fans to root for somebody other than the team with the N on their heads.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X