The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Catholic Seven leave the Big East

Catholic 7 to retain Big East name and add Butler and Xavier next year. Goal is to expand up to 12 in 2014-2015 or it could stay at 9
    "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

From ESPN....

While Butler, Xavier and a team yet to be determined are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Creighton, Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 13-team league.
      http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ording-sources

Comment

From SI.com

"The league will eventually expand to 12 teams in the next few years, with Creighton, Dayton and Saint Louis expected to fill in the final three slots. If the league grows to 10 next year Creighton is considered a slight favorite for the 10th spot."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/col...#ixzz2MF09rLng

Comment

Originally posted by FargoBison View Post
          Let the speculation begin. With ESPN and SI reporting Creighton most likely to the Catholic Seven, that leave one spot open in the MVC. Do they add someone like ORU? Or add the XDSU's? Or does another MVC team leave? Evansville? Wow. This is huge.

Comment

Yeah things are about to get interesting, very interesting. The A10 just lost four great schools and of course the MVC lost one.

Detroit is probably going A10 and that will open the Horizon door for Oakland. After that I don't know what might happen...just hard to say what else the A10 and MVC will do.

Comment

In the ESPN article ...

"While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league."

You're right, the A-10 is losing, what, four schools? That would open the door for Detroit and potentially others to go to the A-10. I think it's safe to say that someway or somehow, this will affect the XDSU's, maybe not in the near future, but at some point. Stay tuned.

Comment

Originally posted by YanktonJack7 View Post
                In the ESPN article ...

"While Butler, Xavier and, most likely, Creighton are expected to join the new Big East this fall, the Catholic 7 schools are also expected to add Dayton and St. Louis in 2014 for a 12-team league."

You're right, the A-10 is losing, what, four schools? That would open the door for Detroit and potentially others to go to the A-10. I think it's safe to say that someway or somehow, this will affect the XDSU's, maybe not in the near future, but at some point. Stay tuned.
                I also just realized that the A10 is losing Charlotte to CUSA and Temple to whatever the Big East football schools are going to call their conference.

They could make a push for multiple Horizon schools.

Comment

I'm not Catholic, but allow me to speculate. The Catholic Seven will begin already next fall AND the Pope recently retired without warning - could he be the new Catholic 7 Commish? Think about it......

Comment

Unless others leave the MVC I'd be surprised if the XDSU's or WIU or USD got an invite. With Creighton being private and the MVC having both private and public schools the thought process I've heard is they would add a private school, and the two names I've heard are Belmont and Oral Roberts.

Now if Evansville leaves that could change

I'm wondering (out loud) if they do expand if they wouldn't go 16+ teams, adding some assortment of Denver, ORU, Belmont, SDSU, NDSU, WIU, IPFW, UNO, USD, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                      Unless others leave the MVC I'd be surprised if the XDSU's or WIU or USD got an invite. With Creighton being private and the MVC having both private and public schools the thought process I've heard is they would add a private school, and the two names I've heard are Belmont and Oral Roberts.

Now if Evansville leaves that could change

I'm wondering (out loud) if they do expand if they wouldn't go 16+ teams, adding some assortment of Denver, ORU, Belmont, SDSU, NDSU, WIU, IPFW, UNO, USD, etc.
                      This would be an interesting league...

NDSU-SDSU
                      UNI-Drake
                      ORU-WSU
                      MSU-UALR

Eville-SIU
                      Belmont-Murray State
                      Valpo-ISUB
                      Bradley-ISUR

Comment

Personally, I don't expect the MVC to look to Summit schools to replace a hypothetical departure of Creighton to the New Big East.

What I'd like to see is the Summit go hard after UND and UNC to poach them both from the Big Sky, and start up Summit League Football.

UND; NDSU; SDSU; USD; UNC; SCSU*; MSU; WIU . . . that's a nice 8-member football league (7 members, if SCSU decides to jettison football in exchange for a move to D-I).

With NDSU (two-time national champ) as the flagship program for Summit League football, there won't be any problem getting football championship playoff bids.

The Summit is FAR from in trouble, here.
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          Personally, I don't expect the MVC to look to Summit schools to replace a hypothetical departure of Creighton to the New Big East.

What I'd like to see is the Summit go hard after UND and UNC to poach them both from the Big Sky, and start up Summit League Football.

UND; NDSU; SDSU; USD; UNC; SCSU*; MSU; WIU . . . that's a nice 8-member football league (7 members, if SCSU decides to jettison football in exchange for a move to D-I).

With NDSU (two-time national champ) as the flagship program for Summit League football, there won't be any problem getting football championship playoff bids.

The Summit is FAR from in trouble, here.
                          No offense but I don't like that one bit.

Comment

No offense but I don't like that one bit and that reaction might be nice compared to what other NDSU fans might think.
                            Yeah. I know.

It's an imperfect universe.
                            "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                              Yeah. I know.

It's an imperfect universe.
                              Honestly I think UNI would rather join Summit football than let an MN school move up, MN is their big pipeline and the Dakota schools have already starting tapping into it. I also think our football coaches like having no FCS MN schools.

IMO Summit football is an option of last resort.

Comment

Honestly I think UNI would rather join Summit football than let an MN school move up, MN is their big pipeline. I also think our football coaches like having no FCS MN schools.
                                There are downsides, definitely. But Minnesota with only 1 in-state D-I program is ridiculous. (Although you could argue that SDSU, NDSU, and UND are virtually Minnesota D-I schools, given proximity).

And . . . Fox Sports North.
                                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                                X