Tom Osborne to Retire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tom Osborne to Retire

Tom Osborne has announced that he will retire at the end of 2012.

http://nebraska.scout.com/2/1225396.html

I'm a huge Osborne fan. Not only for his sccomplishments but more for the way that he went about his business. Faith, honesty, humility, dedication, and selflesness are all traits that he exemplified. A person we could all learn a thing or two from.

In the deed the glory, indeed Dr. Tom.

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Tom Osborne to Retire

Coach Osborne is one of those links to the past... when the term "Student-Athlete" wasn't just a contradiction in major college football.
    I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I like neb a lot and osborne but phillips and some of those guys he has had were....well a lot of trouble makers who got away with a lot and of no consequence. He sure got the big red back on the right track again. Wish they still ran the triple option.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
        Coach Osborne is one of those links to the past... when the term "Student-Athlete" wasn't just a contradiction in major college football.
        Must ... resist ... Joe-Pa joke. Must. Resissssst.
        Originally posted by JackFan96
        Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Link to the past, hell he is only three years older than me. I never thought of myself as a link to the past, but maybe I am

The UNL awarded Tom Devaney the AD job which in my opinion he did not do a very good job at. Too many friends from his days of coaching and things started to really go south. Each Sport is like a big factory and the head coach kind of does his own thing and this happened a great deal under Devaney. Devaney had no controll as AD. I cant remember the guy who replaced Devaney but his first name was Bill, and was often referred to as Dollar Bill, as he always was looking to raise more dollars. He is now at Texas AM, and he tried to straighten bunch of stuff out, like priority donations for seating at Memorial. Under Devaney you got the same seats no matter what year in and year out for a small donation. Then Steve Pederson replaced Bill and he did not last too long. Then enter from the US Congress, and a fail attempt running for governor, to AD at UNL, Tom Obsbone, who turned out to be a much better adminstrator than his mentor Tom Devaney. I think Mr. Osborne deserves a rest. Good luck Tom.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
            I like neb a lot and osborne but phillips and some of those guys he has had were....well a lot of trouble makers who got away with a lot and of no consequence. He sure got the big red back on the right track again. Wish they still ran the triple option.
            Yeah, I hear that a lot about the Phillips situation. I read his book and he covered in great deal how he handled the situation and the terms that Lawrance had to hit to make the team. Osborne believed that if he didn't find a way to give him another chance that he would end up back in the streets of LA and eventually dead. Lawrance did what was required and was let back in. Osborne took a lot of heat and probably justifiably so but after reading the book I really admired him for his thinking. Obviously, Lawrance didn't decide to make the best of it and is in prison for a longtime (maybe lif, don't remember). That Husker team certainly didn't need him to win the National Title that year. Unless someone takes the time to research how it went down it is very easy to say it was a "win at all costs" decision.

SUPERBUNNY
            MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

Wikipedia says Lawrence will be 57 when gets out of jail.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lawrence_Phillips
              Last edited by Nidaros; 09-28-2012, 05:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X