Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duke is dirty too...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...-of-ncaa-.html

Depending on how much this snowballs, there's a chance their 2010 title gets vacated, if the NCAA follows the precedents they've set in the past...
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Re: Duke is dirty too...

I think this could really test the NCAA. Its one of those that at the surface really isn't that big in the realm of some scandals within college athletics but is very similar to the Derrick Rose case at Memphis, where the player did something on his own, causing him to be ineligible, and therefore causing the NCAA to strip the title away. I'll state it right now, that I am not a Duke fan. But at the same time I really wonder how what the athlete did would make him ineligible. I guess I judge these type of cases as if it was Memphis or a USC or a program that had a coach with some history of violations if they would revoke the title.

It'll be interesting whatever happens.

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
      http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...-of-ncaa-.htmlDepending on how much this snowballs, there's a chance their 2010 title gets vacated, if the NCAA follows the precedents they've set in the past...
      Unless the NCAA can prove how he got that 30,000, the NCAA can't do anything because simply buying a necklace isn't against the rules. On a side not:How in the **** does a college basketball player have 30,000 sitting around. Time will only tell but it doesn't prove that Duke is dirty yet.
      "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by witness View Post
        Unless the NCAA can prove how he got that 30,000, the NCAA can't do anything because simply buying a necklace isn't against the rules. On a side not:How in the **** does a college basketball player have 30,000 sitting around. Time will only tell but it doesn't prove that Duke is dirty yet.
        All the jewelry store has to do is say under oath "the guy told us he was a basketball player at Duke and was going to be making millions in the NBA next year. We didn't think it was a big deal to give him a loan for $67K." Actually, they might only need to say that to the NCAA. Violation, ineligible, vacated.

However, IMO, the only way the NCAA does anything about this is if it starts getting talked about on a regular basis. I'm sure Jay Bilas will bring it up during his college basketball segments.

I made the title somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't think Duke is dirty. I think high level DI college sports are, and there isn't anything the NCAA can do to stop it.
        “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Originally posted by SF_Rabbit_Fan View Post
          All the jewelry store has to do is say under oath "the guy told us he was a basketball player at Duke and was going to be making millions in the NBA next year. We didn't think it was a big deal to give him a loan for $67K." Actually, they might only need to say that to the NCAA. Violation, ineligible, vacated.

However, IMO, the only way the NCAA does anything about this is if it starts getting talked about on a regular basis. I'm sure Jay Bilas will bring it up during his college basketball segments.

I made the title somewhat tongue in cheek. I don't think Duke is dirty. I think high level DI college sports are, and there isn't anything the NCAA can do to stop it.
          My only question(not doubting you)but how is that a violation? He didn't accept impermissable benefits because he did front the 30,000 first and the only real violation I can see is if an agent or AAU coach or somebody else gave him the 30,000. The loan that jewelry store gave him is no different than what LeBron's mom did in high school, in this case the player ended up not paying the rest. IF it was a legit loan than he would only be guilty of not paying the rest of the money to the jewelry store
          "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

My only question(not doubting you)but how is that a violation? He didn't accept impermissable benefits because he did front the 30,000 first and the only real violation I can see is if an agent or AAU coach or somebody else gave him the 30,000. The loan that jewelry store gave him is no different than what LeBron's mom did in high school, in this case the player ended up not paying the rest. IF it was a legit loan than he would only be guilty of not paying the rest of the money to the jewelry store
            If the jewelry store says they only did it because he played at duke then its bad for duke. If they say he was credit worthy regardless of what he did in college duke might get out ok but the ncaa would probably look into where he got the 30K to start with.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

LeBron's mom, A was not him, and B occurred while he was in high school.

The problem is not the 30K its the loan. If you take student X and Duke, and he goes into the jewelry store, can he get 100K worth of jewelry with only 30K down? That is the question. Maybe a Duke degree can get you that, IDK. The NCAA makes it clear that no benefits to athletes that aren't available to all students.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
                LeBron's mom, A was not him, and B occurred while he was in high school.

The problem is not the 30K its the loan. If you take student X and Duke, and he goes into the jewelry store, can he get 100K worth of jewelry with only 30K down? That is the question. Maybe a Duke degree can get you that, IDK. The NCAA makes it clear that no benefits to athletes that aren't available to all students.
                IMO Ncaa would have to prove he only got the loan and jewlry just because he played at Duke. This might sound bad but its a business that if they have sports and celebrity clientel probably to keep the cosumers happy and avoid futher investigations with their clients they might just deny in their own self interest.
                "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Working...
                X