X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Report: Big 10 could expel Penn State

This thing might be metastasizing.

Big 10 could expel Penn State, allow Delany to fire coaches

Today's lesson: when you let people in your organization get away with doing bad things, bad things can start happening to your organization.
    "I think we'll be OK"

Re: Report: Big 10 could expel Penn State

I just dont see any good kicking them out of the confrence. I guess punish them financially, but anything that affects taking away scholarships to players or cutting seasons out would be a bad idea IMO. I think Penn State has enough big issues with out its confrence threating severe actions along with NCAA and probably face lawsuits from the victims.
    "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
      I just dont see any good kicking them out of the confrence. I guess punish them financially, but anything that affects taking away scholarships to players or cutting seasons out would be a bad idea IMO. I think Penn State has enough big issues with out its confrence threating severe actions along with NCAA and probably face lawsuits from the victims.
      To send a message that you better damn well control people within your organization. This situation is a complete lack of oversite by the board of directors. Paterno had too much power and was almost God-like at PSU.

I originally thought Joe deserved a better ending then he got at PSU. With the benefit of hindsight, I was obviously wrong.

Comment

I think its a great idea. People will start to wake up.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
          This thing might be metastasizing.

Big 10 could expel Penn State, allow Delany to fire coaches

Today's lesson: when you let people in your organization get away with doing bad things, bad things can start happening to your organization.
          Not only would Delaney have the power to fire coaches,he could also levy fines,suspensions and fire any athletic official. I don't think this will happen, huge can of worms would be opened.

In light of the what's going on at Penn State,am i the only one that thinks it's ironic that the Big 10 is considering giving one man so much power?

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
            Not only would Delaney have the power to fire coaches,he could also levy fines,suspensions and fire any athletic official. I don't think this will happen, huge can of worms would be opened.

In light of the what's going on at Penn State,am i the only one that thinks it's ironic that the Big 10 is considering giving one man so much power?
            If the Big 10 presidents give the commissioner the right to fire coaches,they should have their heads examined. So does he get to hire the replacement coach as well ? And in the Penn State case , the commissioner wouldn't have fired JoePa any quicker than Penn State did,because he didn't have access to the Sandusky info until it became public. The only way Delany could have fired him sooner was if the legal system would have leaked him details during the investigation,which I don't think they could do.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              If the Big 10 presidents give the commissioner the right to fire coaches,they should have their heads examined. So does he get to hire the replacement coach as well ? And in the Penn State case , the commissioner wouldn't have fired JoePa any quicker than Penn State did,because he didn't have access to the Sandusky info until it became public. The only way Delany could have fired him sooner was if the legal system would have leaked him details during the investigation,which I don't think they could do.
              Exactly. I know they're tossing these ideas around,but allowing Delany to fire coaches would be the worst idea in history. Like you said the damage would already be done by the time it happened.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
                Exactly. I know they're tossing these ideas around,but allowing Delany to fire coaches would be the worst idea in history. Like you said the damage would already be done by the time it happened.
                I think the irony is this whole idea is the fact that the Penn State situation happened because one man was in charge and had pretty much absolute power and now the Big 10 Conference wants one man to have absolute power over other programs
                "This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time." -Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                  To send a message that you better damn well control people within your organization. This situation is a complete lack of oversite by the board of directors. Paterno had too much power and was almost God-like at PSU.

I originally thought Joe deserved a better ending then he got at PSU. With the benefit of hindsight, I was obviously wrong.
                  So all the programs who had no control over it get punished for something a co worker did. Their are hundreds of student athelets and coaches who are going to get punished in away that really doesn't do any body any good. I don't see how retro active punishments will help the big 10 by hurting penn state. Fine the school. Ban the football from post season play.

I think if anything ht ncaa should hand down punishment or take control of the athetics there for awhile let things work out through a court of law not not a retro actice punishment to set an example.
                  "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Comment

So all the programs who had no control over it get punished for something a co worker did. Their are hundreds of student athelets and coaches who are going to get punished in away that really doesn't do any body any good. I don't see how retro active punishments will help the big 10 by hurting penn state. Fine the school. Ban the football from post season play.

I think if anything ht ncaa should hand down punishment or take control of the athetics there for awhile let things work out through a court of law not not a retro actice punishment to set an example.
                    You are saying to fine the school or ban the football team from post season play yet saying they shouldn't levy a retro-active punishment. Wouldn't any punishment at this point be retro-active?

I'm not saying kicking them out of the Big 10 is right or wrong. I'm saying the NCAA/Big 10/Department of Education/etc needs to send a clear message if this behavior occurs there are going to be MAJOR consequences. I don't care if the student athletes there now had nothing to do with what happened. The leadership there failed miserably! They allowed a pedophile access to his pray for over 10 years! 10 fricking years! The punishment needs to be big and I suspect it will be.

Comment

Originally posted by MontanaRabbit View Post
                      You are saying to fine the school or ban the football team from post season play yet saying they shouldn't levy a retro-active punishment. Wouldn't any punishment at this point be retro-active?

I'm not saying kicking them out of the Big 10 is right or wrong. I'm saying the NCAA/Big 10/Department of Education/etc needs to send a clear message if this behavior occurs there are going to be MAJOR consequences. I don't care if the student athletes there now had nothing to do with what happened. The leadership there failed miserably! They allowed a pedophile access to his pray for over 10 years! 10 fricking years! The punishment needs to be big and I suspect it will be.
                      My guess is something already is on the books in the confrence that say negative publicity or conduct un becoming of a member will result in punishment of fine of X number of dollars and no post season play. I guess if punishment is doled out to those who deserve it should it through a court of law. Punishing current students and coaches and administrators doesn't punish the right people. Unless you feel collateral damage is ok for every one who is associated with penn state suffer for it that's fine. But I'd rather the punishment be dealth on those who were actually suppose to be punished.

Comment

Working...
                      X