eGriz Message Board questioned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• eGriz Message Board questioned

Fan message boards are rarely mentioned in newspapers or on radio or television. That's a good thing because message boards seem to develop their own cultures and, unfortunately, those cultures are strongly influenced by the lowest form of life capable of posting on the board. Some are "anything goes" while others are more sedate, some even demonstrating the application of rules of conduct.

Once in a great while, the rants on a message board may rise to a level of interest that some newsprint or air time may be devoted to telling what is being said on the board. The Missoulian, the Missoula, MT daily newspaper, recently (June 5) had an opinion piece (not sure it was presented as an opinion piece or as "news") about the eGriz message board and the attacks made against women by some posters, as the story about alleged sexual assaults by UM football players continues to play out. A link to the op-ed piece is below.

I'm a little surprised a newspaper would deem it newsworthy to talk about nuts on a message board. They're the same nuts who post the crazy (mean, half-witted, dumb, caustic -- you pick the adjective) comments to news articles when newspapers give them the opportunity to do so.

I have looked at eGriz in the past but am not a regular reader. Too many crazies for me to waste time there. While eGriz can provide some entertainment, it is also a board on which many posters take the opportunity to show the worst in humankind. SDSUFans.com posters, fortunately, have not shown any strong tendency to dive into dumpsters like posters on some other boards including eGriz. Comments like those made by some on eGriz would not be permitted on SDSUFans.com.

http://missoulian.com/news/local/gri...a4bcf887a.html

Re: eGriz Message Board questioned

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Fan message boards are rarely mentioned in newspapers or on radio or television. That's a good thing because message boards seem to develop their own cultures and, unfortunately, those cultures are strongly influenced by the lowest form of life capable of posting on the board. Some are "anything goes" while others are more sedate, some even demonstrating the application of rules of conduct.

Once in a great while, the rants on a message board may rise to a level of interest that some newsprint or air time may be devoted to telling what is being said on the board. The Missoulian, the Missoula, MT daily newspaper, recently (June 5) had an opinion piece (not sure it was presented as an opinion piece or as "news") about the eGriz message board and the attacks made against women by some posters, as the story about alleged sexual assaults by UM football players continues to play out. A link to the op-ed piece is below.

I'm a little surprised a newspaper would deem it newsworthy to talk about nuts on a message board. They're the same nuts who post the crazy (mean, half-witted, dumb, caustic -- you pick the adjective) comments to news articles when newspapers give them the opportunity to do so.

I have looked at eGriz in the past but am not a regular reader. Too many crazies for me to waste time there. While eGriz can provide some entertainment, it is also a board on which many posters take the opportunity to show the worst in humankind. SDSUFans.com posters, fortunately, have not shown any strong tendency to dive into dumpsters like posters on some other boards including eGriz. Comments like those made by some on eGriz would not be permitted on SDSUFans.com.

I would hope SDSUFans.com would maintain a low profile in the media world and perhaps it does because we have some caring moderators. These whole rape incidents has to have an affect on emotions often in the wrong way. Those who feel there is wrong being committed are not expressing themselves in a sufficent voice to drown out the evil people and unfortunately the Missoulian has picked up on this single negative and given eGriz a bad bad name which it deserves. Unfortunately, they will probably draw new readers to their board.

There is nothing sexy about rape, it is commited to prove power over the victim. Montana as a state seems to have a wild and wooly carefree attitude, but thanks to a former USD offical Royce Engstrom, some common sense is prevailing at least in the adminstration role.

Its too painful to look at eGriz since they waxed us in two comebacks, 1993 and 2009?

Comment

I think it's good that the newspaper ran the story.

1) It is another example of the attitude/culture that made the entire situation possible in the first place.

2) It also takes away some of the anonymity of the people posting. Obviously, it doesn't give names, but I bet it will make some of those idiots think before posting. It won't deter everything, but some people might stop and think if they know other people outside of the message board are reading.
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post
        I think it's good that the newspaper ran the story.

1) It is another example of the attitude/culture that made the entire situation possible in the first place.

2) It also takes away some of the anonymity of the people posting. Obviously, it doesn't give names, but I bet it will make some of those idiots think before posting. It won't deter everything, but some people might stop and think if they know other people outside of the message board are reading.

I agree.

In my opinion, the culture of the message board is based on the moderators. The moderators of the board of eGriz let this go on and it probably speaks of who they are. That might be mean or a little too judgmental, but it's probably not too far off. For instance, Bisonville is ran a little more loose than here and all places have a 'culture' of their own. The moderators are the ones who help that grow.
        Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

My memory was one of the posters who came over here pre-game and post-game with this incredibly arrogant attitude that everything there was special and best and everything having to do with the Jacks was second rate. When this poster got even a little pushback he became even more arrogant and combative, and so it is not surprising that that kind of stuff would eminate from that forum.

Comment

What is it about voluntary allegiance to a successful athletic program that gives some individuals license to become loud, arrogant and display massive bad judgement in public? I've never understood that.
            You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
            X