Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tim Miles to NU????

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ms-sources-say
    One hand points to campus...the other to the liquor store.

Re: Tim Miles to NU????

Sounds like a done deal, unless he changes his mind tonight, told the team tonight, expected to be announced tomorrow. Sounds like a deal worth 1.4 million a year, for 7 years. Nebraska is moving into a new stadium and either has or is planning a new practice facility. He won't be given as much time as Colorado St. gave him.

I'm a little surprised, because Nebraska wasn't good this year, and CSU was, CSU should be better next year then they were this year. Nebraska is a tough place for basketball, you are arguable the 3rd most popular sport at the college, #1 football #2 volleyball. Facilities are good, but no recruiting base, will have to recruit much better at Nebraska then at Colorado St.

I think Tim Miles hope is that the Minnesota job opens up in 2 years and he has shown enough to get that job. I think that is his "dream job".

Comment

Miles has proven himself as a head coach every step of the way. I hope he has a great financial planner and is socking his money away because one of these stops (maybe NU) he's going to get stonewalled and not have the success he's had in the past. The Big 10 is tough to win in and NU will be a big challenge.
      I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Pre-coffee pedant mode: NU is Northwestern University. UNL is Nebraska (Lincoln).

In other news:
        KU is Kansas; UK is Kentucky.
        ISU is Iowa State; ISU is Idaho State.
        SDSU is South Dakota State; SDSU is San Diego State. (We do this specifically to confuse ESPN people.)
        UND is Notre Dame. ??? is the University of North Dakota.
        Elsewhere . . .
        MU is Missouri; UM is a verbal place-holder.
        UT is Tennessee. School Of The Ugly Orange is Texas.

I'm done here. Y'all go out and play.
        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
          Miles has proven himself as a head coach every step of the way. I hope he has a great financial planner and is socking his money away because one of these stops (maybe NU) he's going to get stonewalled and not have the success he's had in the past. The Big 10 is tough to win in and NU will be a big challenge.
          Tim is a very sharp guy. I like him and wish him the best. No doubt he has a broker and/or financial planner handling the big bucks.

Every move that is has out of pocket moving expense if any are an adjustment to Gross income on Form 1040. I think the schools have probably paid his way, even from Mayville ND to Marshall Mn, and then from Marshall to Fargo ND, and from Fargo ND to Ft Collins Colorado.
          Last edited by Nidaros; 03-24-2012, 12:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
            Pre-coffee pedant mode: NU is Northwestern University. UNL is Nebraska (Lincoln).

In other news:
            KU is Kansas; UK is Kentucky.
            ISU is Iowa State; ISU is Idaho State.
            SDSU is South Dakota State; SDSU is San Diego State. (We do this specifically to confuse ESPN people.)
            UND is Notre Dame. ??? is the University of North Dakota.
            Elsewhere . . .
            MU is Missouri; UM is a verbal place-holder.
            UT is Tennessee. School Of The Ugly Orange is Texas.

I'm done here. Y'all go out and play.
            YOu say potato...I say grape...let's call the whole thing off. :-)
            I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Miles just said at his introductory presser that he needs to put together a staff that knows the Big 10/Big 10 country. Would he go after Nagy? Am I nuts?
              @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
              --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfaninne View Post
                Miles just said at his introductory presser that he needs to put together a staff that knows the Big 10/Big 10 country. Would he go after Nagy? Am I nuts?
                I'm not at all concerned about losing Coach Nagy to Nebraska. If Coach Nagy goes anywhere, it's to a head coach position at a university in a major conference. And, in my opinion, Coach Nagy is in the process of building a great mid-major program and he's not about ready to call the project finished so that he moves on to another project. [And at that point, maybe he'd be asking Tim to be one of his assistants.]

I know Tim Miles (from my wife's hometown of Doland). Tim is a great guy and a great recruiter and I wish him all the success in the world except when the Huskers play the Jackrabbits. Coach Miles going to Nebraska will have a negligible effect on SDSU recruiting -- no more impact than he's already been having in recent years. Tim's been recruiting this area since he got out of college and entered coaching, initially as an assistant at Northern State, then on to Mayville State, Southwest State, NDSU, Colorado State and now, UNL.

Tim's record at NDSU was 99-71. He coached the Bison starting with the 01-02 season and ending with the 06-07 season. His record against SDSU and Coach Nagy is 5-8:
                01-02: Lost at SDSU; Won at home
                02-03 Lost at home; Lost at SDSU
                03-04 Lost at SDSU; Lost at home
                04-05 Lost at SDSU; Won over SDSU in a tourney; Lost at home
                05-06 Won at home; Lost at SDSU
                06-07 Won at SDSU, Won at home
                I recall talking to Tim before the game in Frost in 06-07 season. Tim joked about having never won in Frost. He did that night.

Tim's a good coach but he's known for being a great recruiter ... he knows how to find talent and the moms and dads are pleased he's talking to their sons. We all remember the NDSU team led by Ben Woodside. While Tim didn't coach that group their last year when they won the Summit League and scared the heck out of Kansas in the first round of the NCAAs, he picked 'em.

I wonder what Colton Iverson is thinking these days. Tim tried to get him to go to NDSU and he obviously established a great relationship with Iverson such that Iverson, apparently looking for a better experience than he was having at Minnesota, looked Tim up and went to CSU. Iverson sat out this year due to the transfer but will be eligible for one more season starting next year.

Comment

Per Jeremy Hoeck tweet

Just got off the phone with Yankton native Colton Iverson. Said Colorado State will have a "successful year next year, no matter what"....And yes, Iverson is staying at Colo State. Said Tim Miles "made basketball the best thing ever here." Iverson will be a senior in 12-13
                  USD Fan

Comment

Doubt Nagy "knows" the B10 and its Country enough to be on the radar
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Originally posted by tjbison View Post
                      Doubt Nagy "knows" the B10 and its Country enough to be on the radar
                      BY G*D I agree with you. He was a grad assistant at Illinois, and that goes back aways like late 80's and early 90's. We will be happy to hang to Nagy though. He knows what he is doing.

Comment

Weber, formerly of Illinois, looking for work....

Comment

Assistants at that level spend a great deal of time on the road - with Coach Nagy having younger kids still at home,it's hard to imagine him wanting to switch to that lifestyle.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                            Assistants at that level spend a great deal of time on the road - with Coach Nagy having younger kids still at home,it's hard to imagine him wanting to switch to that lifestyle.
                            very few head coaches leave for assistant coaches, those that do generally go to high major programs, and they go for the purpose of getting a head job at a higher place some day. If Nagy wanted to do that he would have done it long ago.

Comment

This thread is begging to be put out of it misery...dumb, just dumb to even mention Coach Nagy in the same paragraph as one in which it is mentioned that Nebraska may need assistants. Nebraska should be calling SDSU and asking if they can come to Frost to play us in basketball.

Comment

Working...
                              X