Pat Knight post-game rant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pat Knight post-game rant

It looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I actually kind of admire him for just coming out and saying it. You have to wonder how many coaches have seen this and thought, "I would love to do that".

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/02/2...06&feedID=3714

SUPERBUNNY
    MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Re: Pat Knight post-game rant

Originally posted by SUPERBUNNY View Post
    It looks like the apple didn't fall far from the tree. I actually kind of admire him for just coming out and saying it. You have to wonder how many coaches have seen this and thought, "I would love to do that".

http://www.foxsportshouston.com/02/2...06&feedID=3714

SUPERBUNNY
    Wow, definitely not something you see everyday.

He should not have put the kid out there in front of the media if he was just going to kick him off the podium though.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

1. Calling out your players in front of the media sounds like he's making excuses for the teams failures.
      2. Calling out your seniors for shooting poorly is weak- it happens.
      3. If your seniors are so much trouble, take your lumps and quit playing them,coach.

Comment

Originally posted by jack power View Post
        1. Calling out your players in front of the media sounds like he's making excuses for the teams failures.
        3. If your seniors are so much trouble, take your lumps and quit playing them,coach.
        This is Pat''s first year and he inherited some attitudes that do not mix with good coaching. I think he is being honest. I seen one similar case at our beloved Augastana several years back. Gary Thomas was the coach and he had several seniors who goofed off and laughed in his face. Gary did not have to courage to speak his mind, but he should have. I think Coach Knight is trying to send a message to everyone concerned that these casual attitudes will not be tolerated.

Comment

All good points. No idea what he has tried. Just saw the clip on MSN.com. Sounds like an ugly situation in any case.

SUPERBUNNY
          MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM, BIZUN!!!

Comment

My response. This is not his recruits, and if they had shown any inkling of attitude problems, they would have never been recruited. 2. Calling out your seniors for shooting poorly is weak- it happens. The way the press conference started the player was making excuses himself, like we hired the wrong coach. The poor shooting speaks for itself.3. If your seniors are so much trouble, take your lumps and quit playing them,coach.
            How many more games does Lamar have left to play. Next year Knight can play his own guys, and get results. Its about cleaning up some one elses mess. ORU will have a worthy opponent in the Southland in a couple of years, Lamar.

Comment

Lamar is not in bad shape, even this year. 17-11 and 8-5 in the conference after losing to Stephen F. Austin, who is just ahead of them in the league. Lamar is 2nd in their division (I didn't even know the Southland had divisions for basketball). UT-Arlington is undefeated in the conference but Lamar is not the basement like Knight said they are.

I had to laugh how he said that he players have had all the problems with grades and drugs but they are still good people. "Gee, Coach you didn't sound very optimistic about those kids five minutes ago."

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                How many more games does Lamar have left to play. Next year Knight can play his own guys, and get results. Its about cleaning up some one elses mess. ORU will have a worthy opponent in the Southland in a couple of years, Lamar.
                They have 3 games plus their league tourney left. I have no problem with him sending a message,i just didn't like his delivery method,more specifically the sequence. I assume he's had this discussion with the players face to face,so if they aren't responding then sit them down. He said he was hired to clean the place up so send a real message and quit playing them.

THEN, when the press asked him why they aren't playing he can go in to his rant about how they suck. Playing these seniors a ton of minutes for almost the entire season, then trashing them in the press, the message rings pretty hollow.

Comment

They have 3 games plus their league tourney left. I have no problem with him sending a message,i just didn't like his delivery method,more specifically the sequence. I assume he's had this discussion with the players face to face,so if they aren't responding then sit them down. He said he was hired to clean the place up so send a real message and quit playing them.THEN, when the press asked him why they aren't playing he can go in to his rant about how they suck. Playing these seniors a ton of minutes for almost the entire season, then trashing them in the press, the message rings pretty hollow.
                  Oh yeah, I think he has had these conversations more than once. I think Coach Knight knows this team better than any one and like father, he calls a spade a spade. One 60 minute story about Dad Bobby showed him getting after one of his players who was para palagic in a wheel chair. The player had been involved in a car accident during off season. Why did he chew this poor guy out? Because Coach Knight got word that he had skipped class and was not going to class even though they had kept him on scholarship after the accident. When you take over a program, especially one with a losing program, there are usually attitude problems, and this was Coach Knight's way of dealing with them openly. Would Coach Nagy have done similar under similar circumstances? You betcha but he had a good program when he took over and no attitude problems to deal with. Tom Rops, Jason Semport and others the lanky guy from Wisconsin all had good winning attitudes, and Soderberg did not get a chance to wreck the program in three years. So it was much different than what Coach Knight has had to deal with.

Comment

Looks like he knew what he was doing: http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=320702320
                    Originally posted by JackFan96
                    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                    X