X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Ten Hockey?

Wow...not good news for UND and our new partners UNO:

http://beta.argusleader.com/article/...|text|Sports|s

I've been hearing rumors, but never thought it would come to be. And with UND's nickname debacle, will UM/UW/other B10 teams really continue to play UND in out of conference games?? I guarantee if they don't, that nickname is gone the NEXT day.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Big Ten Hockey?

Originally posted by propar80 View Post

I've been hearing rumors, but never thought it would come to be. And with UND's nickname debacle, will UM/UW/other B10 teams really continue to play UND in out of conference games?? I guarantee if they don't, that nickname is gone the NEXT day.

Go Jacks!!
    An $88 million gift to Penn State from the guy who owns the Buffalo Sabers. That allows Penn State to add hockey and give the Big 10 enough teams to form their own conference in hockey. Oh, add more fuel to the UND logo issue!!!!! I love it.

Comment

Go Jacks!!
      not really, they don't lose a ton of schools and they will still be playing the same teams.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
        not really, they don't lose a ton of schools and they will still be playing the same teams.

???
        I would say losing UM and UW, athough only two schools is a big loss, what really does that leave you with??

That would be like the Big Sky loosing Montana and Montana State to the WAC and saying..."Well, they don't lose much".

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

???
          I would say losing UM and UW, athough only two schools is a big loss, what really does that leave you with??

That would be like the Big Sky loosing Montana and Montana State to the WAC and saying..."Well, they don't lose much".

Go Jacks!!
          but they are both going to continue playing the WCHA teams. Hockey is a lot different then other sports, a lot fewer teams have hockey so if you have a program that is decent you will get games. It might hurt a little bit because you will lose 2 given home games a year, but you could actually open some up because the big 10 hockey conference has been open that it will continue to play games with the WCHA.

Its just my opinion but hockey is a lot different, maybe a few schools might frown upon playing the Sioux but as long as they are relevant they will get games.

Comment

Originally posted by joeboo22 View Post
            but they are both going to continue playing the WCHA teams. Hockey is a lot different then other sports, a lot fewer teams have hockey so if you have a program that is decent you will get games. It might hurt a little bit because you will lose 2 given home games a year, but you could actually open some up because the big 10 hockey conference has been open that it will continue to play games with the WCHA.

Its just my opinion but hockey is a lot different, maybe a few schools might frown upon playing the Sioux but as long as they are relevant they will get games.
            Minnesota will not play UND in basketball or football. They played them in hockey only because of conference affiliation. My guess would be that when the Gophers leave the WCHA,they will not play if they want to be consistent in their policy.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
              Minnesota will not play UND in basketball or football. They played them in hockey only because of conference affiliation. My guess would be that when the Gophers leave the WCHA,they will not play if they want to be consistent in their policy.
              This...

It will be interesting to see what Minnesota does in this situation when they leave the WCHA. Considering how heated the rivalry between UND & MN is in hockey, time will tell if the Gophers stick with their policy of not playing UND due to the mascot issue.

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                This...

It will be interesting to see what Minnesota does in this situation when they leave the WCHA. Considering how heated the rivalry between UND & MN is in hockey, time will tell if the Gophers stick with their policy of not playing UND due to the mascot issue.
                The proposed Big 10 hockey conference would have 20 games in conference and 10 OOC games. Given how few teams there are in hockey, IMHO, you go back to the teams that give you big revenue. Playing UND has to be high on the Goph's list.

Look at the first UND/NDSU MBB game. Held in FargoDome to get the fans in.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                  The proposed Big 10 hockey conference would have 20 games in conference and 10 OOC games. Given how few teams there are in hockey, IMHO, you go back to the teams that give you big revenue. Playing UND has to be high on the Goph's list.

Look at the first UND/NDSU MBB game. Held in FargoDome to get the fans in.
                  The Gophers will have a number of attractive opponents to fill those 5 two game series for their non-conference schedule. Four in-state rivalries ( UMD,St.Cloud,Mankato and Bemidji ) along with Denver,Colorado College and UNO would all be possibilities. I think the UND-Gopher rivalry means way more to Sioux fans than Gopher fans. Kind of like USD and the Jacks.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                    The Gophers will have a number of attractive opponents to fill those 5 two game series for their non-conference schedule. Four in-state rivalries ( UMD,St.Cloud,Mankato and Bemidji ) along with Denver,Colorado College and UNO would all be possibilities. I think the UND-Gopher rivalry means way more to Sioux fans than Gopher fans. Kind of like USD and the Jacks.
                    THis is sort of correct, MN and UND fans both Hated each other, but Mn really didn't have anyone else. Now they get to join their Regular Conference mates in Michigan, Michigan St, Ohio St, Penn St and Wis. So UND goes to the back burner. Of course Mn always had WI, but i think they will form a Bigger rival in Michigan than UND on the Hockey side.
                    BISON FOOTBALL

Comment

Working...
                    X