Palileo resigns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Palileo resigns

According to the Argus, former SDSU coach Anddrew Palileo has resigned at Washington State. The Cougars were 34-54 in three seasons under him.
    Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Re: Palileo resigns

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
    According to the Argus, former SDSU coach Anddrew Palileo has resigned at Washington State. The Cougars were 34-54 in three seasons under him.
    The Peter Principle in action.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
      @Nidaros - I must admit to have never heard of the "Peter Principle". Not quite what I had in mind, though you may be pretty close!!!

Dictionary.com informed me that the Peter Principle is:

(n.) Any of several satirical “laws” concerning organizational structure, esp. one that holds that people tend to be promoted until they reach their level of incompetence.

Does anyone remember if Marcellina Glab from Watertown was recruited while Coach McDaniel was here? Could we start a "homecoming watch" for Ms. Glab?! (She was pretty solid on the VB court)

Comment

I actually thought the principle might have more to do with "karma".

Comment

Originally posted by MaddogJack View Post
          @Nidaros - I must admit to have never heard of the "Peter Principle". Not quite what I had in mind, though you may be pretty close!!!

Dictionary.com informed me that the Peter Principle is:

(n.) Any of several satirical “laws” concerning organizational structure, esp. one that holds that people tend to be promoted until they reach their level of incompetence.

Does anyone remember if Marcellina Glab from Watertown was recruited while Coach McDaniel was here? Could we start a "homecoming watch" for Ms. Glab?! (She was pretty solid on the VB court)
          On M. Glab: Marcellina Glab is a 2010 grad of Watertown High School so she's a true freshman this year at Washington.
          Added later: I don't know how early Glab was recruited but word on the street seemed to indicate colleges showed interest during her junior year -- so, McDaniel was not at SDSU.
          Last edited by JackJD; 03-06-2011, 09:33 AM.

Comment

You really don't get a lot of things about intercollegiate athletics, Nidaros. Not even close to incompetence. He resigned - he was not fired or forced out. Sometimes, a program is so far gone that a coach has to step away to retain the career he's built or he was lured to a school under false pretenses and didn't get the administration's support he'd been promised.

Just two years earlier, Andrew was named the Pac-10 coach of the year DESPITE a gauntlet of a schedule. He's part of USA Volleyball. I'm sure he didn't all of a sudden this season become a horrible coach. Perhaps if you looked at the situation, you'd realize that eight of the 10 schools in the Pac-10 ended the season ranked in the top 85 in Division I -- with five of them in the top 20 and three of them in the top 5.

Read this story and tell me if it sounds like incompetence: http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/34026 ... or this release from the school. If it was incompetence, as you incorrectly assume (per usual), an athletic director wouldn't say "We respect Andrew's decision and will assist him with any future endeavors." http://www.wsucougars.com/sports/w-v...030411aac.html

And here's a quote from a poster on this board, from when Andrew left SDSU, that pretty much sums up what's going on right now (http://sdsufans.com/board/showpost.p...postcount=51):

Originally posted by 91jack View Post
            I read that his goal was to be at a BCS school in 15 years. He got there just a little ahead of schedule. He's already saying that his next goal is to coach a top 10 team. He hopes that it's at Wash St. but if it isn't, he'll leave there.
            Nidaros, are you THAT bitter he left SDSU that you're throwing darts at a guy who led the school through the brutal transition to D-I (not to mention leading the team to the D-II finals early in his career)? The guy wanted to try coaching at a major college, chasing his dream. You clearly didn't want him to follow his own career path.

Some programs are just so far gone that it's not possible for complete revival based upon surroundings/opponents/administration. That's a reality of college athletics on the largest scale.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post
              You really don't get a lot of things about intercollegiate athletics, Nidaros. Not even close to incompetence. He resigned - he was not fired or forced out. Sometimes, a program is so far gone that a coach has to step away to retain the career he's built or he was lured to a school under false pretenses and didn't get the administration's support he'd been promised.

Just two years earlier, Andrew was named the Pac-10 coach of the year DESPITE a gauntlet of a schedule. He's part of USA Volleyball. I'm sure he didn't all of a sudden this season become a horrible coach. Perhaps if you looked at the situation, you'd realize that eight of the 10 schools in the Pac-10 ended the season ranked in the top 85 in Division I -- with five of them in the top 20 and three of them in the top 5.

Read this story and tell me if it sounds like incompetence: http://www.dailyevergreen.com/story/34026 ... or this release from the school. If it was incompetence, as you incorrectly assume (per usual), an athletic director wouldn't say "We respect Andrew's decision and will assist him with any future endeavors." http://www.wsucougars.com/sports/w-v...030411aac.html

And here's a quote from a poster on this board, from when Andrew left SDSU, that pretty much sums up what's going on right now (http://sdsufans.com/board/showpost.p...postcount=51):

Nidaros, are you THAT bitter he left SDSU that you're throwing darts at a guy who led the school through the brutal transition to D-I (not to mention leading the team to the D-II finals early in his career)? The guy wanted to try coaching at a major college, chasing his dream. You clearly didn't want him to follow his own career path.

Some programs are just so far gone that it's not possible for complete revival based upon surroundings/opponents/administration. That's a reality of college athletics on the largest scale.
              Now that you are calling me out big time, you must be his mother. I really do not care where he ends up but a winning record does wonders even at WSU and other places. That he did not have and its his job to turn it around which he did not in three years and poff he is gone, his choice. You even admit, he did not have the ability to turn this one around. Sounds a little like a big bite in the rear from the Peter Principle.

Why would I really care about some summer pinic sport like volleyball?
              Last edited by Nidaros; 03-07-2011, 12:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sfsd View Post

Great post
                Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Originally posted by SDSUAlum08 View Post
                  Great post
                  Whas it great because it was critical of yours truly? I guessing the answer is yes.

Comment

Why would I really care about some summer pinic sport like volleyball?
                    A post that demeans a sport offered by SDSU, demeans the student-athletes and is uncalled for on this site.

If you want to have a p*ssing match with another poster do it with a private message.

I know that we are not supposed to call out posters but in this case I could not help it. If i get into trouble than so be it, but someone needed to address this. All of our athletes work too hard to have their sport dismissed. Get a clue.
                    -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Originally posted by SoDakJack View Post
                      A post that demeans a sport offered by SDSU, demeans the student-athletes and is uncalled for on this site.

If you want to have a p*ssing match with another poster do it with a private message.

I know that we are not supposed to call out posters but in this case I could not help it. If i get into trouble than so be it, but someone needed to address this. All of our athletes work too hard to have their sport dismissed. Get a clue.
                      I detected in SFSD post that he is somehow a buddy of Palileo, and if I was trying to demean anyone it was him and Palileo, not the participating student athletes. Palileo seemed be all about himself and that is why I brought up the peter principle. I am not bitter that he left, rather relieved and not surprised that he is gone after three years at WSU. When the times get tough, the untough move on, and thats what has happen out in Pullman. I think some of his recruiting prospects back in SD were starting to dry up too, and he was forced to get in the bidding war for Washington and PAC10 recruits. A war he could not win. Despite his lossing record, I suppose his time at WSU looks good on his resume.

To be honest, I have attended volleyball matches at SDSU and have enjoyed watching volley ball. I apologize to the student athletes who participate in Volleyball. It is a demaning sport.

Comment

Since we seem to be past the point of anything constructive coming from this discussion,I will both move and second that it's time for pie. Any discussion ?

Comment

I've rediscovered the little Hostess fried fruit pies of my youth. You can find them at most convenience stores and many grocery stores. Apple is my favorite.
                          @JacksFanInNeb

I've always believed that if someone wants to run a country, he should know how to run a tractor first.
                          --Steve Hartman, CBS Sunday

Comment

Palileo did great things for the volleyball program. Not sure there is a reason to demean him for wanting another challenge in his career and moving on to WSU.

If SDSU loses coaches to higher level programs then they are hiring the right people. If AJ leaves for a higher level program is he all about himself too?
                            Disclaimer: This post may contain assumptions and/or opinions related to Jackrabbit Athletics.

Comment

Working...
                            X