Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UConn Donor requests gift back

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6057094

A UConn football donor wants a $3 mil donation given back to him because he felt he wasn't kept in the loop about the new FB coach hiring, of which he didn't agree with.

Re: UConn Donor requests gift back

The AD should go golfing with him,have a couple drinks and some laughs,and his "bruised ego" will vanish.

Comment

Wow, this guy thinks he owns a team. Maybe he should by a pro team so he can bully people around with his money. the school he supports as top of the top mens and womens team in the country for basketball and just made a BSC game for the first time. Sounds like someone needs to do a reality check.
      "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Boone Pickens, the super rich alum at Okie State, drove the AD at OSU insane right after Les Miles left for LSU. So, this doesn't surprise me at all. Hell, nothing does anymore.

Comment

It's a difficult situation. Donors who give large amounts of hard earned money often feel entitled to more than just recognition. Maybe the should, maybe they shouldn't I'm not sure. There is an art to providing them just enough information to satisfy but not too much to allow them to direct important decisions. Appears this guy has some serious misconception about what his $3 million dollars was getting him. Might cost the A.D. his job.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

I really don't know how to view this action. Donors should be giving from the heart and not with the thought that you have made an investment in ownership. I think the best option for this guy is to just stop giving money to UCONN. Asking back a donation, is like Santa Claus reclaiming broken toys after they been handed out as gifts and the children have been bad susequent to Christmas. I think for UCONN to repay his donation might put a dent in the cash flows at UCONN. Five million is a lot of money.
            Last edited by Nidaros; 01-26-2011, 07:22 AM.

Comment

Here's the letter that he wrote:

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn-...24103.htmlpage
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by RabbitObsessed View Post

That letter is awesome. I wonder if he's met the Forcier family. Seems like the egos would match well. Obviously he could help Tate find a good football program since he knows more football coaches than most AD's in America.

I can appreciate wanting to be involved, but this takes the cake. There's a lot wrong with college athletics and this just adds too it. Good luck UConn! And good luck to the next school he decides to support.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  That letter is awesome. I wonder if he's met the Forcier family. Seems like the egos would match well. Obviously he could help Tate find a good football program since he knows more football coaches than most AD's in America.

I can appreciate wanting to be involved, but this takes the cake. There's a lot wrong with college athletics and this just adds too it. Good luck UConn! And good luck to the next school he decides to support.
                  Yes money seems to really run college athletics nowdays. I can see his disappointment and to snub a donor like this not right either. I can not imaging Dr Oien or AD Sells treating a large donor in this fashion, seems like they would want all the key donors involved in giving input on hires, and this AD Hathway might regret some of his actions. Mr. Burton is not asking for his money back, but wants to redirect his donations for athletic scholarships to business scholarships. If U Conn Foundation operates like the SDSU Foundation, there is an agreement that spells out how the donation is to be used. A good question I can not answer is whether or not this type of agreement can be changed. I have not looked at these agreement documents in a spell so might just do that now.

Comment

Originally posted by Nidaros View Post
                    Mr. Burton is not asking for his money back, but wants to redirect his donations for athletic scholarships to business scholarships.
                    Re-read Item #4 - as soon as you find a new donor I want you to return the $3 million....so I can funds to another university.

I would have to imagine there's some specific language in the donor agreement that tells him that spent money can't be returned. I could be wrong though. That's what is lawyers are for.
                    I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Money has run college athletics for a long, long time. The ESPN 30 for 30 documentary Pony Excess was EXCELLENT at detailing that. Worth the watch if you ever see it on ESPN.
                      Originally posted by JackFan96
                      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                        Re-read Item #4 - as soon as you find a new donor I want you to return the $3 million....so I can funds to another university.

I would have to imagine there's some specific language in the donor agreement that tells him that spent money can't be returned. I could be wrong though. That's what is lawyers are for.
                        Sorry I missed that. Yes I dont think once a gift is made and the intended purpose is agreed upon in writing, its impossible or it would seem so to redirect in any fashion.

Comment

Bob Knight was asked this morning on Mike & Mike what he thought and he said the donor should build his own university and call it EGO TECH. You could call them the EGO TECH Fatheads.
                          Go Big, Go Blue, Go Jacks!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SDSU16 View Post
                            Bob Knight was asked this morning on Mike & Mike what he thought and he said the donor should build his own university and call it EGO TECH. You could call them the EGO TECH Fatheads.
                            That's funny.

I believe Alanis Morissette sang a song about situations like these...
                            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Working...
                            X