Coach Chizik and Auburn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coach Chizik and Auburn

Auburn wins the national title, beating Oregon 22-19.

Coach Gene Chizik was 'da man! Remember his two seasons at Iowa State: 2007, 3 wins, 9 losses; 2008, 2 wins, 10 losses. And, somehow, Auburn knew he was the right guy so they hired him away from Iowa State. Turns out, they were right.

The Wikipedia article on Chizik includes the following as part of the recap of his coaching career prior to Auburn:

...In 2008, Iowa State won their first two games against South Dakota State and Kent State before losing their final 10 games to finish the season 2–10. Among all 119 Division I FBS teams, the team ranked 111th in total defense, 115th in passing defense, and 95th in rushing defense.[13] Following the season, Chizik fired two assistant coaches and demoted both his offensive and defensive coordinators. Chizik's name came up frequently as a coach who would be on the hot seat for the following season, though all acknowledged the difficulty of the job given the lack of resources and difficult schedule.

Re: Coach Chizik and Auburn

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
    Auburn wins the national title, beating Oregon 22-19.
    I would like to point out that until they have a playoff system.. the "BCS" does not have a national championship game.. people need to quit calling it that. And please people, don't bother trying to argue with me on this. I do not care what others think on this particular subject unless they agree with me. Shortsighted.. perhaps but my opinion none the less. In fact how about we discuss how the NCAA is OK with Cam Newton getting payed to play for auburn. (if you don't have $$ as a college student where does it come from?? A. Parents...) So essentially Auburn Bought it's self a perfect season.. with a the whatever bowl win to finish. /end rant

Comment

They won by more than 2 which is all that matters. War Eagle
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7TxIMAwc1k

Anyone remember this video from when Chizik was hired at Auburn? lol

Comment

I can not believe this is the guy who did not do so well at Iowa State, but got a national champ after a year or two at Auburn. Do you think resources more specifically financial resources have something to do with winning?

After riding in a car pool during training in Washington DC for a fed job in Nebraska with two or three Auburn grads, I got to know what Auburn was all about. FOOTBALLL and at the time it was Bo Jackson discussed every morning. It made me more enthused about SDSU though, so it was a good lesson. I often wondered why SDSU alum could not be more enthused about their athletics? That was back in 1985, I must point out and slowly but surely, the enthuisasm is growing.

Comment

Auburn is traditionally a better school, which helps.

The south also has more talent, which helps.
            Originally posted by JackFan96
            Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

And the SEC has now won 5 consecutive BCS Championships. That doesn't hurt!

Comment

I often wondered why Auburn hired him in the first place with his record at Iowa State. Just looked at his bio...he had a previous stint at Auburn as D Coord...which was obviously when he made an impression on someone.

Pure speculation...but how many years until this title is vacated for infractions?
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  I often wondered why Auburn hired him in the first place with his record at Iowa State. Just looked at his bio...he had a previous stint at Auburn as D Coord...which was obviously when he made an impression on someone.

Pure speculation...but how many years until this title is vacated for infractions?
                  I say by the time next year's "title game" is played Auburn will be under investigation. By the start of the 2013 season they will be under penalty and Chizik will no longer be the head coach.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksfan29 View Post
                    I say by the time next year's "title game" is played Auburn will be under investigation. By the start of the 2013 season they will be under penalty and Chizik will no longer be the head coach.
                    And they will have to forfeit their championship. What a shame.
                    LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Working...
                    X