Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Montana and Montana State to WAC?

Originally posted by usdfbalum View Post
    USD is not burning a bridge. The relationship with the Summit has been good and Douple knew that one of USD's number 1 goals was to find a home for Football. USD was encouraged that by joining the Summit it would better position them for a MVFC slot. That has not helped and we are where we are today.

Institutions are not as irrational as fans on chat boards. They understand what USD has to do.
    Institutions can make decisions based on fear/spite/love/hate just as easily as individuals, because institutions are run by people.

I'm sure the decision makers have run numbers in both scenarios, but the final decision will involve at least some speculation (will Montana stay, what are the chances of MVFC membership and when). Speculation is often not dominated with rational thought.

If nothing else, the Big Sky has certainly provided some wonderful leverage for USD to use to achieve MVFC membership.
    “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

I think you can forget the back and forth on what USD should do...the school has scheduled a press conference for tomorrow (Thursday)noon, and since I doubt anything has happened with the MVFC in the last few days, it is obvious to me they will join the Big Sky. I'm sure they have considered all of the points discussed here, and are doing what they feel is best for the school. I think usdfbalum has made some good comments on their situation. Good luck to them (from a long-time adversary!).

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
        I wouldnt be suprised if they hold out just to get a chace to get into MVC next year. If now I am sure the Big sky will be willing to allow them at any time. So why not do Summit and hope MVFC lets them in, if not, a year from now join the big sky.
        I was guessing this, before any news broke today, I think I may be rather close. WE just better get the first home game with them, that would suck to start the football games down there first.
        "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
          I was guessing this, before any news broke today, I think I may be rather close. WE just better get the first home game with them, that would suck to start the football games down there first.
          50/50 shot I'd guess. I doubt USD's membership in the MVFC was contingent on the first SDSU game being played in Brookings.
          We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
            50/50 shot I'd guess. I doubt USD's membership in the MVFC was contingent on the first SDSU game being played in Brookings.
            Doubt it was even discussed. I would guess that will start jockeying for home games when ever they do those sort of things in the confrence. The dome just is not big enough for us to play there. 9K fans is maxed, they should have USD play at howard wood for our home games. Atleast it would not be a dome.
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

IMHO, Jacks will host USD first, while NDSU goes to Vermillion first, since they have already played @ NDSU. USD will be going to UNI the next game with the Panthers. USD's situation with MVFC teams is very similar to SDSU's when Jacks joined. Had already scheduled home/home with MVFC schools UNI/SIU/WIU/YSU, so just used the back half for much of the initial schedule.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                IMHO, Jacks will host USD first, while NDSU goes to Vermillion first, since they have already played @ NDSU. USD will be going to UNI the next game with the Panthers. USD's situation with MVFC teams is very similar to SDSU's when Jacks joined. Had already scheduled home/home with MVFC schools UNI/SIU/WIU/YSU, so just used the back half for much of the initial schedule.
                Alright, what the heck are you doing, bringing logic into the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
                  Alright, what the heck are you doing, bringing logic into the discussion?
                  IMHO, the Yankton posters all must be drinking the same water. Seems I get this from Doc too

Must come with being an engineer.

Comment

http://missoulian.com/news/local/art...cc4c03286.html

Comment

http://www.ktvq.com/news/griz-likely...in-in-big-sky/

Comment

Interesting that the comparison made is the SDSU/USD rivalry, and the impact of SDSU's move to D-I on our rivalry with USD

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
                          Interesting that the comparison made is the SDSU/USD rivalry, and the impact of SDSU's move to D-I on our rivalry with USD
                          I guess Royce Engstrom was just a chem prof at USD for several years but has had his career esclated once he got into adminstrative duties, and now he is the President at Montana. His judgement on this move for U Of Montana is big. He seems to use past experiences as a guide and in this changing world. No offense in the reference to chem prof rabid, your dad Elmer was tops and probably would have done just as well as Mr. Engstrom adminstratively, but I think your dad loved the classroom too much. I am getting off the path here. Here is a profile on Dr. Engstrom.

http://www.wiche.edu/user/266
                          Last edited by Nidaros; 11-11-2010, 10:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X