Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Villanova to FBS/Big East

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20101102/...g_east_meeting

Probably a good move for Villanova(defending FCS National Champs) as it worked well for UCONN a few years back. I see UMASS also moving up and getting invited to the Big East for all sports also.

So the question is asked....who does the CAA raid if UMASS goes too??

I read a good quote from a poster on AGS regarding FCS commissioner's talking about how much better $$-wise FCS is over FBS. "That's a comissioner that drives a Pinto, that is trying tell the others how much of a piece of crap their BMW is." Yes this was directed at eveyone in the Big Sky that thinks Montana isn't going to the WAC.

Go Jacks!!
    SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Re: Villanova to FBS/Big East

CAA just recently added 2 members, Old Dominion and GA St, to become a 12 school league. I also believe URI is planning to leave to the NEC in 2012. With the loss of Villanova they would be a 10 team conference. Not the best number but certainly viable as is.

IMO we will see many changes and realignments in the next few years. I fear that FCS football may suffer the same fate as DII. Smaller schools may seek to reduce expenses due to budget constraints and pressure the NCAA into reducing scholarship levels in FCS rather than move down to DII. Long term that may force conferences like the MVFC and BSC to look into moving up to FBS.

This roller coaster is going to run for quite a few years. Get ready for the ride.
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
      CAA just recently added 2 members, Old Dominion and GA St, to become a 12 school league. I also believe URI is planning to leave to the NEC in 2012. With the loss of Villanova they would be a 10 team conference. Not the best number but certainly viable as is.

IMO we will see many changes and realignments in the next few years. I fear that FCS football may suffer the same fate as DII. Smaller schools may seek to reduce expenses due to budget constraints and pressure the NCAA into reducing scholarship levels in FCS rather than move down to DII. Long term that may force conferences like the MVFC and BSC to look into moving up to FBS.

This roller coaster is going to run for quite a few years. Get ready for the ride.

THIS, IMO would be awesome!! Don't get me wrong, I love the FCS Playoff system and FCS the way it is now...but just look at D-II right now...YUCKY, to say the least.

Go Jacks!!
      Last edited by propar80; 11-02-2010, 03:42 PM.
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

If a significant number of schools petition to move up to FBS you can bet the big schools will make some move to protect their Bowl Game dollars. Just the nature of the beast. We may live to see the 6 BCS conferences split out from te rest of FBS.

Think about it. DII gets watered down further and merges with DIII. FCS gets watered down to level near the old DII. FBS gets split into an upper and lower division. The key will be for schools/conferences to establish an expected level and position to that.
        You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Villanova to the Big East in FB is not as simple as saying yes. If it was 'Nova would have been gone a lot sooner.

Nova has low attendence at games, and plays in a small stadium.

Each schollie at this private school should be substantially expensive, and there's the Title IX mirror expenses.

Bigger stage, and Nova's shown that they can compete well, but does it get Nova any more recognition than they receive now?

Travel for FB would increase.

Nova's weighing their options, but don't be surprised if they stay in the CAA FB conference.

Comment

Originally posted by rabidrabbit View Post
            Villanova to the Big East in FB is not as simple as saying yes. If it was 'Nova would have been gone a lot sooner.

Nova has low attendence at games, and plays in a small stadium.

Each schollie at this private school should be substantially expensive, and there's the Title IX mirror expenses.

Bigger stage, and Nova's shown that they can compete well, but does it get Nova any more recognition than they receive now?

Travel for FB would increase.

Nova's weighing their options, but don't be surprised if they stay in the CAA FB conference.

There current stadium would need to undergo major renovations, or they would have to play at the Linc in Philly. Temple plays there and draws about 20K a game at most.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
              There current stadium would need to undergo major renovations, or they would have to play at the Linc in Philly. Temple plays there and draws about 20K a game at most.
              I have a few Philly sources and they say if Nova moves up their games will be played at the Linc.
              Originally posted by JackFan96
              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
              X