X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brewster is out

http://www.gophersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=205013823

Re: Brewster is out

Needed to be done. It was a BREWTAL era for Gopher football.

Comment

Great decision making. Brewster was given a contract extension in January 2010 and fired in October 2010.
      You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Fun Fact -
        Tim Brewster went 0-6 after being helicoptered in for a Rosemount (MN) Irish pep fest. Mental note to college coaches...do NOT accept an invitation to speak at a Rosemount Irish pep fest.
        Conversely...Rosemount Irish are 6-0 since said event.
        I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

So who do they go to for a replacement? I know at one time Bohl was being mentioned, if I recall prior to Brewster being hired. Obviously the state of the NDSU FB program is not what it was prior to their joining the MVFC, does that take Bohl's name out? Do the Goofs go for a big name or tap a coordinator from a successful school? This should get interesting.

Comment

Personal opinion here:

Gophers need to go after someone with prior FBS head coaching experience, OR, relevant head coaching experience. Mark Tressman, current head coach up in the CFL, will get contacted ASAP. Might not take a step down to college though. They will re-look at some of the other candidates from when Brewster was hired, but some of those have gone onto other FBS schools and had success (see TCU's coach). One thing that will NOT happen...Tony Dungy will NOT be coaching the Gophers. Although, some of the talking heads on Twin Cities sports talk have suggested he be brought in as a consultant on making the hire.

One thing I'm happy about, I'm an SDSU Jacks and Iowa Hawkeye fan.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              Personal opinion here:

Gophers need to go after someone with prior FBS head coaching experience, OR, relevant head coaching experience. Mark Tressman, current head coach up in the CFL, will get contacted ASAP. Might not take a step down to college though. They will re-look at some of the other candidates from when Brewster was hired, but some of those have gone onto other FBS schools and had success (see TCU's coach). One thing that will NOT happen...Tony Dungy will NOT be coaching the Gophers. Although, some of the talking heads on Twin Cities sports talk have suggested he be brought in as a consultant on making the hire.

One thing I'm happy about, I'm an SDSU Jacks and Iowa Hawkeye fan.
              Shouldn't they find a low-level NFL assistant with no head coaching experience? Oh, wait...
              Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I want to squelch the rumors right away: I have NOT been contacted.

I will now resume ordering the large beer at Applebees using it correct name, a Brewtus.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
                  Shouldn't they find a low-level NFL assistant with no head coaching experience? Oh, wait...
                  Speaking as a Hawkeye fan...yes they should.

As a 9th grade B team offensive coordinator I know my resume looks pretty stellar, but for family obligation reasons I must say I am not in the running as well. Although, I have at least coordinated something, which puts me in pretty good running considering the guy on his way out.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
                    Great decision making. Brewster was given a contract extension in January 2010 and fired in October 2010.
                    True, he did sign an extension. But that extension also included a new buyout clause, which was lowered from his original contract. The extension ended up being a great move for Minnesota because it didn't cost them as much to fire him. The BREWtal era is over!

Comment

Heck I took the Gophers to the BCS national chamionship in NCAA Football '11. I'll send my resume to the U of M right away.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Evolution Prime View Post
                          Heck I took the Gophers to the BCS national chamionship in NCAA Football '11. I'll send my resume to the U of M right away.
                          Congrats, you did something Brewester probably can't do. If he could, I'm sure he told recruits and boosters how many Rose Bowls they were going to go to.

Comment

NFL sources are saying Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has shown interest in the job. He coached under Dungy,who was going to hire him as Seahawks head coach if Tony would have taken the GM job in Seattle. It's surprising he would take a college job since he has been interviewed for 4 or 5 NFL head jobs. I wish he was coaching the Vikes instead of Chilly.

Comment

Originally posted by bigticket1 View Post
                              NFL sources are saying Vikings defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier has shown interest in the job. He coached under Dungy,who was going to hire him as Seahawks head coach if Tony would have taken the GM job in Seattle. It's surprising he would take a college job since he has been interviewed for 4 or 5 NFL head jobs. I wish he was coaching the Vikes instead of Chilly.
                              If the Vikings don't turn it around (not counting today's game) he just might be

Comment

Working...
                              X