FCS to FBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS to FBS

I decided to start a new thread about this topic since the other(s) currently active refer to a specific university.

I found this in today's Rapid City Journal:

COLLEGE FOOTBALL: Appalachian
    State has knocked off one of college foot-
    ball’s top teams.Now the Mountaineers are
    thinking about joining the big boys.
    The school, known for its stunning
    upset of Michigan in 2007 and its three
    straight national titles last decade,
    announced Thursday it will evaluate shift-
    ing from the Football Championship
    Subdivision to the Bowl Subdivision.
    The feasibility study could take up to a
    year.
    Finding is never about seeking. It is about opening yourself to what is already there. - Henry Meloux

Re: FCS to FBS

Interesting that during a time of tight budgets a number of schools are giving a serious look at moving up to FBS.

Division 1 football has two formal divisions, FCS and FBS, and a third informal division, BCS. I have to wonder whether at some point in the future the third division becomes formalized? Is this what the conference shuffle is about? Are the schools looking to move to FBS trying to avoid being trapped in a new D2?
    You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

This is being driven by all the conference shake-ups.

The top attendence FCS programs, Montana, App St., Del, possibly James Madison, UMass, GA Southern should be keeping their options open.

A telling question, is who is your academic and athletic pier? For SDSU, it's the other 3 Dakota schools, Montana, Montana St., Delaware, Youngstown St., Cal-Poly, UCDavis. It isn't what is left in DII of the NCC, I would question if it is the directional Michigan or the directional Ill schools. It isn't Marquette, DePaul, Oral Roberts, and other Christian based universities.

If SDSU were to be in the MVC, for all sports, that would be nearly ideal. Likewise, a Summit League of the 4 Dakotas, UALR, ORU, IPFW, Oakland, IPFW, IUPUI could be every bit of MVC for competitive activities.

Montana was asked this question, and their response was all MWC or WAC schools, rather than their Big Sky conference mates. The feasibility study group that asked the question, said, look who's company you're keeping.

Comment

Originally posted by Prairiehaas View Post
        Are the schools looking to move to FBS trying to avoid being trapped in a new D2?
        I have been thinking the same thing. However, I just don't see the advantage for 99% of FCS programs unless they can find a conference affiliation that provides them with similar travel requirements and some how increased revenue. The increased scholarship in FB alone make it hard to justify a move up. Bowl games are common but what are the odds of a fledgling program earning a bowl bid much less 20 years down the road.

Back to the new D2 comment, I can't decide if that is a bad thing or a good thing. I think its a bad thing if that means we go back to playing only regional teams and seeking only a regional identity. I might be an okay thing from the standpoint of fairness and more equal opportunity. The key, established programs and conferences cannot allow newcomers to dictate policy. No reduction in scholarships or easing of requirements to facilitate growth.
        We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
          Back to the new D2 comment, I can't decide if that is a bad thing or a good thing. I think its a bad thing if that means we go back to playing only regional teams and seeking only a regional identity. I might be an okay thing from the standpoint of fairness and more equal opportunity. The key, established programs and conferences cannot allow newcomers to dictate policy. No reduction in scholarships or easing of requirements to facilitate growth.
          This is my concern also. I think SDSU is in a reasonable position to avoid that considering the MN & NE schools will likely be forced to stay in a lower division. But, I also see negatives to bringing the UXDs into the same conference as the XDSUs. Even though it will reduce travel costs I think that it also brings the focus back to the region as a new NCC.

One other point regarding peers. I like to think that SDSUs natural peers should be the other Land Grants in the central and northern plains. Our academic focus runs closer to those institutions. Our long term goal should be to compete with ISU, CSU, KSU, MSU,U of Wy, etc rather than the former Normal Schools and Metro U's. An ambitious goal for sure but doable long term.
          You know that you're over the hill when your mind makes a promise that your body can't fill. - L. George

Comment

Working...
          X