• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush gives Heisman back

...it wasn't taken away, he gave it back this evening. Here's the story:
    LINK

Re: Bush gives Heisman back

Protesting his innocence all the while:

"For the rest of my days, I will continue to strive to demonstrate through my actions and words that I was deserving of the confidence placed in me by the Heisman Trophy Trust."

Let me guess... He's going to spend the rest of his life looking for the *real* cheaters.

Comment

If I was Bush, I would have told them to eff off and hid the trophy
      Originally posted by JackFan96
      Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Pete Carroll should give his "genius coach" reputation back. He was just another cheater.
        Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Just going to toss this thought out regarding the Heisman and Reggie Bush. I'll preface it by saying I know the Heisman rules state it must go to an eligible player. But consider that nothing Reggie Bush did enhanced his performance ON the field of play. That year he was the best player on the field. Did he do things off the field that were not right, yep. That's a given. But it's not like he took performance enhancing drugs that made him the best player ON the field that season.

I'll also add this. Vince Young said he would gladly take the trophy now that Bush has returned it. That's really lame in my book. You're an NFL QB Vince. Stop trying to boost your own ego by adding a post-facto Heisman trophy to your resume. The voters decided at that time that you were not the winner and IMO it should not be handed down to the runner up. It's like the Minnesota Gophers Final Four run a few years back...it never happened. So, there should be one year in the Heisman records that the trophy was not awarded.
          I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

I agree with what you said, but would just add one point about giving it to Young. Many Heisman voters stated that they wished they could have their votes back after seeing how they both played in the national championship game. I know that the vote has always been done before, but I think you would find many of the people who decided that Bush should get the award, did not think the best player actually won the award before any of this stuff became an issue.

Personally, I hope they leave it vacant.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
              That year he was the best player on the field.
              True.

Of course, had LaDanian Tomlinson suited up for, say, the UCLA Bruins, he wouldn't have even been the best player in the Pac-10. After all, they were both utterly ineligible to be on the field in the first place.....
              I'll also add this. Vince Young said he would gladly take the trophy now that Bush has returned it.
              Did he say that? Do you have a source? I haven't seen that anywhere:

"Reg will continue to be the 2005 Award recipient and I will continue to be honored to have been in the 2005 Heisman campaign with such a talented athlete," Young posted on Twitter.

Comment

I'm going off of what I saw on ESPN's bottom line last night in regard to Young saying he'd gladly accept the award. Granted, those "reports" should always be taken with a grain of salt because half the time they never prove to be true. I did find this in an EPSN article (twist the words however one will). http://sports.espn.go.com/los-angele...ory?id=5572827

"I definitely want it, I definitely want it,'' said Young, who guided Texas to the national championship. "But he won it fair and square definitely, and it's much respect to Reggie, man. He had a great career and he's already won a Super Bowl before me. I'm already mad about that.
                "But at the same time I am definitely happy for him, man, and he is definitely the Heisman Trophy winner for that year. But if they send it over to me I am not going to say no to it," Young said.
                In regard to the national championship game performance, coulda, shoulda, woulda to the voters. I don't know why they don't wait until after Bowl Season anyway, but the vote has always come first and hindsight is always 20/20 for the voters, especially in this situation. I heard Kirk Herbstreit say the same thing about Young and his performance in the NC game being Heisman worthy.

Final thought on Bush and I'm done with the topic. He may not have been the best overall player that year in most people's opinions. But I'd put his highlight reel up against anyone's that season, including Vince Young. Bush made plays all season long that made defenders look absolutely silly.

To me personally, none of it matters. I don't think the Heisman goes to the best player year in and year out. Often it goes to the one with the best SID marketing the player. There should be an award for that.
                I updated my signature for the first time in six years.

Comment

Originally posted by CatchEmAll View Post
                  I don't think the Heisman goes to the best player year in and year out. Often it goes to the one with the best SID marketing the player. There should be an award for that.
                  True that, and only if the player is a running back or quarterback.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Working...
                  X