Cal Poly Press Conference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal Poly Press Conference

Cal Poly is having a press conference at 2:00 pm today Pacific Time to make an announcement about the future of their football program. The Big Sky is supposedly having a press conference at 1:00 pm Mountain time. So the strong speculation is that Cal Poly will join the Big Sky for football only. There is also speculation but no known press conferences that UC Davis will follow suit and the door may be open for Southern Utah to move to the Big Sky for all sports shortly. Will be interesting to watch the next few days.

http://www.gopoly.com/index.php?p=sp...icle_id=101662

Re: Cal Poly Press Conference

already announced by the conference: http://www.bozemandailychronicle.com...cc4c03286.html
    Remember Gun Saftey-Treat Every Hunter as if he were Loaded

Comment

My guess SUU will be let in as an all-sports member to make 12 for football, not UND.

IMO Montana and Montana St. are goners to the WAC, unless the WAC just decides to cut-bait and die. Then maybe FCS would get some new teams!! I doubt it, but the likes of NMSU, SJSU, etc. should really consider it, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

It's officially official:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...ESPNUHeadlines

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          My guess SUU will be let in as an all-sports member to make 12 for football, not UND.

IMO Montana and Montana St. are goners to the WAC, unless the WAC just decides to cut-bait and die. Then maybe FCS would get some new teams!! I doubt it, but the likes of NMSU, SJSU, etc. should really consider it, IMO.

Go Jacks!!
          The WAC is dead. Hawaii is planning to go Indy in football. UH will make the announcement early next Spring. Houston will head for the MWC and Louisiana Tech will take their place in C-USA.

Comment

With Cal Poly and UC Davis moving to the BSC, it will really turn up the heat for the MVFC and Summit.

First off I don't think SUU will get into the BSC. Fullerton in his video goes at length about how the lower quartile of FBS football is losing money and they have no chance of ever playing for a national championship. He expects some of the lower FBS schools to look into moving to the FCS. At that point I expect the BSC to add one of these teams.

If the BSC was going to add SUU, they would have done it when announcing the addition of Cal-Poly and UC Davis. I really don't expect SUU to be added to the BSC.

I believe that the Summit wants to add teams to the MVFC. I think they want to add SUU and USD. They also would like to add UND. That would put 12 teams into the MVFC. They can have two 6 team divisions.

The scary part of this for the MVFC is that there would be 6 Summit League teams and 6 MV teams. After a few years the Summit could split off and create their own conference and receive an auto bid.

However the MVFC is in the drivers seat and I don't think they would allow this to happen. Right now the MVFC has more MV teams than Summit teams. But in order to expand the league, they will have to add Summit teams and run the risk of the Summit splitting off.

One option for the MVFC is to add NDSU and SDSU to the Missouri Valley for all sports. Then they could add Summit League football teams without running the risk of the Summit splitting off and forming their own league.

The other option is for the MVFC to give the football league to the Summit and the Missouri Valley would be a basketball conference, with Ill St., So. Ill, UNI, YSU and Mo. St. being football only members of the Summit Football League. I don't think these schools would want to be associated with this league, but it would be an option.

Well this is all purely speculation on my part, but it should be interesting to see how all of this plays out.

Meanwhile, the breakup of the GWFC can not be good for recruiting for USD and UND. The timing of the announcement could not have come at a worst time for these schools. If the BSC had made this announcement next spring or summer, at least USD and UND could still recruit this year head to head with the xDSU's, but now it will be difficult to look a recruit in the eye and tell him they will be in a conference soon.

Go Jacks!!!
            Go State!!!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") Feed the Rabbit!!

Comment

I have no doubt in my mind that Fast-Eddie will look everyone of his recruits in the eye and tell them that the conference situation is a "done-deal. Don't worry about it."

Sorry about the smack, but we all know it's true.

Go Jacks!!
              SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCalJack View Post
                The scary part of this for the MVFC is that there would be 6 Summit League teams and 6 MV teams.
                You have a good summary of the various options and ramifications. One slight edit it that there are really only 5 MV teams as Youngstown State is in the Horizon League for everything but football which further raises concerns for the MVC schools being outvoted if USD, UND and SUU were all added.

Comment

One option for the MVFC is to add NDSU and SDSU to the Missouri Valley for all sports.
                  The MVFC and Valley are independently operated. The MVFC can't 'add' SDSU and NDSU to the Valley.

Comment

Originally posted by zooropa View Post
                    The MVFC and Valley are independently operated. The MVFC can't 'add' SDSU and NDSU to the Valley.
                    Right it was not so long ago, that the MVFC was known as the Gateway Conference, like maybe two years ago. I guess some are quick to forget. The Gateway was football only.

Comment

IIRC, the Great West had/has some affiliation or assistance from the Summit offices. The Gateway had the same type of affiliation with the Missouri Valley Conference. The re-naming of the Gateway to MVFC was done in part because the MVC schools felt that the MVC would have greater prestige if it was also thought of as a football conference.

I think it is safe to say at the BCS level, football is driving everything in regards to conference affiliation because it has the potential to bring so much more money to the individual schools than basketball. Can that be true at the FCS level, or even the lower level FBS (non-AQ BCS schools)? If Fullerton is correct and some of the lower level FBS start dropping down, I think the major shake up that everyone thought was going to happen this summer will actually materialize. It may be the first steps to a playoff system for the BCS.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                        IIRC, the Great West had/has some affiliation or assistance from the Summit offices. The Gateway had the same type of affiliation with the Missouri Valley Conference. The re-naming of the Gateway to MVFC was done in part because the MVC schools felt that the MVC would have greater prestige if it was also thought of as a football conference.

I think it is safe to say at the BCS level, football is driving everything in regards to conference affiliation because it has the potential to bring so much more money to the individual schools than basketball. Can that be true at the FCS level, or even the lower level FBS (non-AQ BCS schools)? If Fullerton is correct and some of the lower level FBS start dropping down, I think the major shake up that everyone thought was going to happen this summer will actually materialize. It may be the first steps to a playoff system for the BCS.
                        Other way around. The football schools thought the Missouri Valley name would give greater prestige to the football conference. Most college sports fans are familiar with the Valley, very few had ever heard of the Gateway.

Responding to zoo's post about the MVC & MVFC being two different conferences, right and (kinda)wrong. While they technically are different conferences, they operate out of the same office using many of the same people. When in-person meetings are held, they schedule one in the morning and the other in the afternoon, since half the MVC is in the MVFC. While the MVFC members of the MVC could not bring a new school into the MVC on their own(only 50% of the votes), they would provide a core group that would make it far easier to achieve the total votes needed.

The Summit used to have a similar arrangement with the GWFC. That ended when Ed Grom split off the GW and expanded it into a multi-sport conference. While the respective HQs still seem to be in the same town, they don't appear to be in the same office(the GWC address is a PO box, so it's tough to be sure). In fact, I don't think the GWC actually has an office; I think Grom runs it out of his home. The other staff have area codes from California and Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammersmith View Post
                          they would provide a core group that would make it far easier to achieve the total votes needed
                          Which--of course--assumes that core would want SDSU/NDSU in the Valley. Frankly, I think it's a real stretch to imagine the ISUs and SIU supporting an invite to the xDSUs.

Comment

First off I don't think SUU will get into the BSC. Fullerton in his video goes at length about how the lower quartile of FBS football is losing money and they have no chance of ever playing for a national championship. He expects some of the lower FBS schools to look into moving to the FCS. At that point I expect the BSC to add one of these teams.
                            Like Idaho?

The WAC looks to be in a coma and the patient's family is about to pull the pull on life support!!

Here's my guess per WAC school what will happen:

Hawaii: Indy in football & Big West in all other sports
                            Idaho: begs to go back into the Sun Belt or heads back down to the Big Sky
                            Louisiana Tech: heads to C-USA after Houston leaves for the MWC
                            New Mexico State: begs to go back into the Sun Belt
                            San Jose State: drops football and heads to Big West for all other sports.
                            Utah State: sadly will head for the MWC.

I post on Sports Hawaii and WyoNation and guys in HI are saying that UH will go indy in football soon.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
                              I have no doubt in my mind that Fast-Eddie will look everyone of his recruits in the eye and tell them that the conference situation is a "done-deal. Don't worry about it."

Sorry about the smack, but we all know it's true.

Go Jacks!!
                              Yeah, sure we do. How many of us have been recruited by Ed? None.

How many of us actually have had a personal conversation with him? Few.

Originally posted by JackFan96
                              Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

Working...
                              X