FCS = Football CUPCAKE Subdivision?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FCS = Football CUPCAKE Subdivision?

Gregg Easterbrook ain't making himself any friends.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...k&sportCat=nfl
    "Life is short so make sure you spend as much time as possible arguing with strangers on the Internet." - Person

Re: FCS = Football CUPCAKE Subdivision?

While I can't stand Easterbrook, I agree that FBS teams playing FCS teams is pretty weak. I like Miami vs. OSU and Texas OSU and Boise State and VT.
    Originally posted by JackFan96
    Well, I don't get to sit in Mom's basement and watch sports all day

Comment

I don't believe it's weak at all. It gives the FBS/BCS team a 7th home game out of 12 and for 90% of them a "breather" week. The NFL has 4 pre-season games, FBS/BCS college football should get one too, IMO.

The reason I like the FCS/FBS games though is the fact that this is the only "redistribution of wealth" there is in D-1 sports. In other words it helps out the little guy once a year as far as paying some bills and building some excitement for the visiting school.

I suppose for this reason and the fact that I root for one of the "little guys" in SDSU, I love the idea of FBS, especially BCS schools playing at least one FCS team. I don't give a #$%^ what the ESPN guys say...I'm pretty sure it isn't changing anytime soon and if it does, you can kiss FCS goodbye. Every FCS team worth anything will move up to FBS. We all already operate in the red...imagine what $500K less would do to most FCS programs.

If there's one game I'll travel too EVERY year, it's SDSU's FBS game. Because there will always be that chance we pull an "Appy State"...could it be this year in Lincoln? Wow, would that turn Corso and the boys red. If it's not this year, it will happen sooner or later, and I want to be there to witness the "impossible"!

Go Jacks!!
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

I think this sports writer is entitled to his own opinion and this how he makes a living. Lets face it the FCS is not on the same level as the FBS. FBS has what 85 scholies to our 63, so we can not possibly compete week in and week out with FBS. I think the writer hit on a big point in that he mentioned the number of home games the big powers have each year and the amounts of money they are willing to pay out to get those cupcakes on their schedule.

I see Nebraska has seven home games this year, not quite as greedy as Alabama with eight. The author seems to be suggesting that money is driving college athletics and it is to a certain extent. The Chancellor or President at UNL could have put the screws to SDSU by telling the then AD Pederson to go find some better opponent than SDSU. He did not do that, and no doubt is thinking about all the bucks this game will bring in and yet UNL seems to be favored to win. This is one reason I chose not to exercise the option of purchasing six tickets to the UNL game. That amounts to 335 bucks that I now have to spend on the Difference Makers club. I am sure people will take this the wrong way, but I have no loyality towards the Huskers or UNL, I do have loyality towards SDSU and their more modest football program.

Comment

As a long-time reader of Easterbrook's TMQ, I will have to come to his defense somewhat. He has written about how all the divisions below the FBS level are more balanced between school and sport. When I read the cupcake comment, I knew that he was speaking from the viewpoint of the FBS school. He often points out that at FBS power conference schools a baboon could coach the team to enough wins to get bowl berth, so I don't think he holds the FBS division in very high esteem. In fact, the cupcake comment was actually more of a shot at the FBS schools than the FCS schools. I do get how some people wouldn't like his style of writing.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I didn't read the article, but if a FBS school wants to win a National Championship, the best and easiest way is to have a favorable conference schedule (tough conference opponents at home) and mix in 1 or 2 "cupcakes."

Pretty much every National Champion I can remember followed this recipe.

The 14-0 Alabama Team from last year played:

Florida International = Cupcake
            North Texas = Cupcake
            Tennessee Chattanooga = Cupcake

8-5 Arkansas (3-5 SEC) = Home Game
            7-6 South Carolina (3-5 SEC) = Home Game
            7-6 Tennessee (4-4 SEC) = Home Game
            9-4 LSU (5-3 SEC) = Home Game

7-6 Kentucky (3-5 SEC) = Road Game
            9-4 Ole Miss (4-4 SEC) = Road Game
            5-7 Mississippi St (3-5 SEC) = Road Game
            8-5 Auburn ( 3-5 SEC) = Road Game

10-3 Virginia Tech (6-2 Conf.) = Neutral Site
            13-1 Florida (8-0 SEC) = Neutral Site
            13-1 Texas (8-0 Conf.) = Neutral Site

Looking at this schedule, there were 3-4 opponents Alabama could have lost to last year, and all of those were either at home (LSU) or at a neutral site (VT, Florida, Texas). Sure, the SEC is tough, and any team can win any Saturday, but IMO, Alabama couldn't have won less than 10 games last year.

Is it any wonder why Alabama schedules "cupcakes" when they are good for the bottom line and their national championship hopes. If they lose to LSU or VT, they are still playing for a national championship. If they lose to Florida, they likely finish the season as #3.

With that schedule, worst case scenario is a 10-4 season. And a 10-4 record at Alabama playing in the SEC is probably still good enough for even crazy Alabama supporters would have been happy with last year.
            “I used to be with it. But then they changed what it was. Now what I’m with isn’t it, and what’s it seems scary and wierd. It’ll happen to you.” — Abe Simpson

Comment

Riddle me this: Why are pushovers called "Cupcakes?"

Why not, "Sweet Rolls?" Or "Tarts?" Or "Donuts."

Or, "A Piece of PIE?"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Comment

Oh snap

Comment

What a surprise.

Comment

Jacksonville St., BTW, is where Mike Whittier (he of the Reynauds Syndrome) ended up.

Comment

Working...
                    X