SD State Amateur Baseball Tournaments

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SD State Amateur Baseball Tournaments

Class B starts in Sioux Falls tomorrow. I don't care for SD stadium and don't know if I'll make it to any games.

Class A in Yankton Friday night. Brookings is playing at 5:30 I believe. I plan to try and attend if work allows.

Aside, an unfortunate scenario resulted in Castlewood, with several former Jackrabbits from some time ago, being reclassified as an A team. They would have challenged for the B title. Instead, they fell 1 run short in an extra inning game and just missed making the A tourney. The politics of amateur baseball can be very interesting and often result in poor decision making. It think things could be better with certain people not involved, I digress.

Best of luck to the teams and players as they compete this year. I'm guessing Canova is a slight favorite to repeat as the B champ. I don't follow the A teams closely but I'll be pulling for Brookings and Yankton.
    We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Re: SD State Amateur Baseball Tournaments

I'd rather the tournament was in Mitchell, but I think I'll try to make it up Sunday. Two potential good games, provided the first round works the way I think it will. Could be Dells Mudcats vs. Canova and Dimock-Emery vs. Wynot in the evening session.

I heard about the situation with Castlewood. I think a few teams up that way have played with more than their allotment of released players in the past, but there's a new sheriff in town.

Comment

Originally posted by johnnyjackrabbit View Post
      I'd rather the tournament was in Mitchell, but I think I'll try to make it up Sunday. Two potential good games, provided the first round works the way I think it will. Could be Dells Mudcats vs. Canova and Dimock-Emery vs. Wynot in the evening session.

I heard about the situation with Castlewood. I think a few teams up that way have played with more than their allotment of released players in the past, but there's a new sheriff in town.
      Don't disagree about the match-ups and I would love to see those games, especially if they were in Mitchell.

As for the new sheriff, new isn't always better. I'll leave it at that, maybe....
      We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
        As for the new sheriff, new isn't always better. I'll leave it at that, maybe....
        To be clear, I think we're on the same page here.

Comment

To be clear, I think we're on the same page here.
          I figured we would be.

Matt Stevenson from the Castlewood team (former Jackrabbit pitcher and excellent amateur baseball player as well as a Hamlin grad like JJ and me) has been picked up by the Brookings Cubby's and will likely be playing when they face Brandon in Yankton Friday evening. Interest fans in the area stop down and enjoy.

Comment

Is it really a state Amateur tourney if you can't get the burgers they sell at the field in Mitchell? I haven't attended a tourney game since I moved to WI, but those were my favorite part of going to the tourney. I can still smell the fried onions. As Homer would say, "Mmmmmmmmm, fried onions..." Do they still sell those burgers in Mitchell?
            "You just stood their screaming. Fearing no one was listening to you. Hearing only what you wanna hear. Knowing only what you heard." Metallica

Comment

Originally posted by MilwaukeeJacksAlum View Post
              Is it really a state Amateur tourney if you can't get the burgers they sell at the field in Mitchell? I haven't attended a tourney game since I moved to WI, but those were my favorite part of going to the tourney. I can still smell the fried onions. As Homer would say, "Mmmmmmmmm, fried onions..." Do they still sell those burgers in Mitchell?
              They do sell the burgers with or without. In addition they have the practice fields all around Cadwell, the baseline seating, the bring your own chair and sit right behind home plate, the six packs of beer immersed in a cattle tank full of ice, etc....

I tend to agree, it isn't really the state amateur tourney when it is in Sioux Falls. I hope it is back in Mitchell next year.

Comment

they need to do something different about pairings for the state tourney. the 3 best leagues in the state are the sunshine, south central and cornbelt. the bottom bracket has only 4 teams from those leagues. the top bracket has 11 teams from those 3 leagues and the top bracket also has redfield. 5 cornbelt teams in the top bracket is a joke. and to have the dell rapids mudcats and canova meet in the 2nd round is a joke too. i also think its too bad that a person has to wait till sunday night to get to see some good teams play this first weekend. i usually go the first weeekend whether in sf or mitchell. i probably wont go till sun night and im thinking the attendance will suffer the rest of the weekend. maybe that is what it will take for some changes to be made. and while im complaining, the tourney should be in mitchell every year. the atmosphere is better, the burgers/food is better and the beer is colder.....well, maybe not colder but the atmosphere makes the beer taste that much better.

Comment

Amen, Mitchell... I can remember when the CBL were stacked in one bracket and they all elimnated each other. Attendance took a nosedive after they were knocked out and the tournament actually LOST money.

Seems to me that these leagues are being punished for being successful. Instead of the Rosebud/TMT, State Line and other leauges stepping up their game, these leagues get the royal shaft.
                  I am Ed. Fear me.

Comment

I was in Mitchell for the American Legion State Tournament on Friday and the burgers smelled delicious. Unfortunately I didn't have time to get one in between Pierre games as I had a story to file and not a lot of time.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabit1 View Post
                      Amen, Mitchell... I can remember when the CBL were stacked in one bracket and they all elimnated each other. Attendance took a nosedive after they were knocked out and the tournament actually LOST money.

Seems to me that these leagues are being punished for being successful. Instead of the Rosebud/TMT, State Line and other leauges stepping up their game, these leagues get the royal shaft.

madison has a great chance of getting to the finals. being the only cornbelt team in the bottom bracket i will be cheering them on. the problem with the way they do the pairings is teams who played each other 3 times during the season and districts, will meet in the 2nd round. lets balance it out a little with each league getting an equal number of teams in the top and bottom brackets. thats all i want. seeding isnt possible but it is possible to to have equal number of teams from each league in the bottom and top brackets.

Comment

oh yea, they still have the burgers there. but as you say, its not the burgers....ITS THOSE ONIONS. and if you dont like onions on your burger, try some kraut. doesnt just go good with a brat.

Comment

Originally posted by jackmd View Post
                          I tend to agree, it isn't really the state amateur tourney when it is in Sioux Falls. I hope it is back in Mitchell next year.
                          I heard once that the SDABA has an agreement in place with the two cities in which Mitchell hosts the tourney for two years, then it moves to Sioux Falls for one year. If that's the case it should be at Cadwell in 2011 and 2012, Sioux Falls in 2013, etc.

Comment

I heard once that the SDABA has an agreement in place with the two cities in which Mitchell hosts the tourney for two years, then it moves to Sioux Falls for one year. If that's the case it should be at Cadwell in 2011 and 2012, Sioux Falls in 2013, etc.
                            I've heard the same as well and it seems that history has followed that trend. I don't that it is written in stone, as they say.

Comment

i know for sure it is in mitchell in 2011. i assume it will be in mitchell in 2012 also.

Comment

Working...
                              X