New League

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New League

I'm wondering what will happen with the "AA" schools now that S.F. wants to start their "new league". I hope that the ESD stays strong. If SF can make it work around the ESD so be it. I guess if 1 of the 4 west river schools is going to drop down to class A something has to be done anyway.
    High School sports are the same as college that football and basketball are the big sports. SF seems to have a hugh advantage in those sports. I do like how the west river schools get back at them in some sports (wrestling, track, etc..)to keep things interesting.
    It looks like high schools in SD are doing the same thing as colleges.

Re: New League

This is a tough one for me, living in Sioux Falls and relatives in Rapid City. I know this is not popular out west, but I asked my sister why should the Sioux Falls schools keep paying those travel costs and have students miss the classroom time when there is enough competition nearby? She admitted that the only reason she could come up with is what are the RC schools and Sturgis supposed to do without them. I think we all would agree that there isn't a school district in the state that wouldn't want to cut its travel costs.

I don't think this affects the ESD all that much because the only "metro" school is Brandon and losing just one school shouldn't be devastating.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Can I ask, I am uninformed on this subject obviously, who will make up this new Sioux Falls Metro Conference?

EDIT: NM. Found it in the Argus
      "All I know is what I read on the message boards."
      "Oh, well, there's your problem, then."

Comment

Sioux Falls Washington
        Sioux Falls O'Gorman
        Sioux Falls Roosevelt
        Sioux Falls Lincoln
        Brandon Valley will have joint membership in the new Metro Conference and ESD

Eventually they think Harrisburg, Tea and further down the road West Central (Harford and Humboldt)are candidates.

Comment

Some people in Fargo are talking about the same kind of thing, due to the new HS in far-South Fargo, Davies High, opening up soon. Also, West Fargo wants to build a 2nd high school sometime in the immediate future.

The conference would be in everything but football, and consist of:

Fargo North
          Fargo South
          Fargo Davies
          Shanley
          West Fargo
          New West Fargo School
          Oak Grove
          Central Cass (Maybe??)

But this may not be much of an issue as South Dakota has, as most Fargo schools don't travel further than Grand Forks for road games.

Comment

I am a washington grad, and I think its silly to say travel cost, considering half your teams are already in the same city. I understand the economics is important to save money. when you play 3 other teams in the same city, that really saves travel cost. Most ESD schools still have hours to travel. I can see how the smaller sports to save money, but football and basketall, is it really that hard to take a trip a couple a year across the state?
            "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

Originally posted by goon View Post
              I am a washington grad, and I think its silly to say travel cost, considering half your teams are already in the same city. I understand the economics is important to save money. when you play 3 other teams in the same city, that really saves travel cost. Most ESD schools still have hours to travel. I can see how the smaller sports to save money, but football and basketall, is it really that hard to take a trip a couple a year across the state?
              IMHO, they should have never broke up the old SIC conference with the Sioux City schools.

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                IMHO, they should have never broke up the old SIC conference with the Sioux City schools.
                There was some reasons for that, seems like the West River schools needed games and also the Iowa HSAA had some problems with the Sioux City schools playing most of their competition against out of state schools. Its been along time ago and kind of got away from me. I sure someone on here remembers.

I suspect though that Sioux City schools may be a filler until Harrisburg and Tea get up to competitive strength

Comment

Originally posted by JACKGUYII View Post
                  Sioux Falls Washington
                  Sioux Falls O'Gorman
                  Sioux Falls Roosevelt
                  Sioux Falls Lincoln
                  Brandon Valley will have joint membership in the new Metro Conference and ESD

Eventually they think Harrisburg, Tea and further down the road West Central (Harford and Humboldt)are candidates.

one would think another high school in sf would be built in the near future too.

Comment

Actually two new high schools are being "built" in Sioux Falls right now. Both public. One is on the south edge of the Southeast tech campus and will have a vocational emphasis. I have not heard if it will sponsor athletic programs but it is a good size building and will open this fall. The second which I understand will be some type of a magnet school will be in the building that the Universities have shared on the campus of Southeast tech. It will also open this fall. It will be a smaller operation and I doubt it it will sponsor sports. In any case the two will take enrollment pressure off of Roosevelt, Washington and Lincoln.

Comment

Neither of those schools will have sports. West Central would need NW SF to explode the way the SE did in order to be close to AA numbers, and even then Tri-Valley would get a lot of those kids.

Comment

Working...
                      X