Photogenic Grain Elevators in SD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Photogenic Grain Elevators in SD

I have a friend in Overland Park, KS that is a commercial artist. She works with oils on canvas. She has an assignment as part of a continuing education course to paint 12 pictures of elevators over the next year. Being a city girl she is thinking Kansas City and Omaha types, and I am thinking Rauville, Harold, Manchester, etc - if they are still standing. I also like the one (it's about done for) on the north side of I 90, near Limon.

She may even consider a subcategory: The grain elevator with the most character in Kingsbury County.

Would some of you more knowledgeable types (everyone thats a Jackrabbit!) give me some recommendations of possible subjects to pass on? I know, like barns, they are a dying breed.

I think the SD Magazine has featured some but I can't locate the issue.

Thank you! Go Jacks, Roy

Re: Photogenic Grain Elevators in SD

Originally posted by Roy View Post
    I have a friend in Overland Park, KS that is a commercial artist. She works with oils on canvas. She has an assignment as part of a continuing education course to paint 12 pictures of elevators over the next year. Being a city girl she is thinking Kansas City and Omaha types, and I am thinking Rauville, Harold, Manchester, etc - if they are still standing. I also like the one (it's about done for) on the north side of I 90, near Limon.

She may even consider a subcategory: The grain elevator with the most character in Kingsbury County.

Would some of you more knowledgeable types (everyone thats a Jackrabbit!) give me some recommendations of possible subjects to pass on? I know, like barns, they are a dying breed.

I think the SD Magazine has featured some but I can't locate the issue.

Thank you! Go Jacks, Roy
    There is a grain elevator in Pierre

Comment

Rauville is still standing but very much abandoned. Manchester is just a memory since that tornado took everything about 5 years ago. Harrold still is pretty much in tack. Grover elevator just south of Watertown is very photographic and still in tack. Volga and Arlington still have the old type with the new right along side. Then new type are the steel elevators that look very much like farm structures round with pointed tops, but are huge in terms of volumne and are as tall height wise as the old wooden structures.

Comment

How about the one in Phillip. Haven't been to it in years so I don't know what it looks like anymore.

Comment

The one in Herrick has been turned into a something else (tourist trap), but it was still standing last month.

Comment

Nidaros,
            Do you know if the ones in Badger and Hetland are still standing. I am pretty sure Badger is, but I think Hetland has been gone for years.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

It's a shame they painted the Golden Sun elevator out by Marion Road in SF.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                Nidaros,
                Do you know if the ones in Badger and Hetland are still standing. I am pretty sure Badger is, but I think Hetland has been gone for years.
                Unless my next door neighbor is fooling me, he tells me he is the manager of the Badger Elevator, though I have not driven up there for a while I assume the elevator is running full force in Badger. Hetland you got me there, seems like that trucking outfit is still in Hetland, but I think the elevator itself is gone. Their high school is still in intact though.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                  Nidaros,
                  I think Hetland is still standing. Badger is fully operational. Lake Norden's is going strong. I think Hazel's is still the old structure. Vienna is newer.
                  We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

Roy - I'm the staff writer at South Dakota Magazine, but I'll be on the road in Watertown and Lake Norden Wednesday and Thursday. I'll look around when I get back Friday morning. Maybe I can dig up some material for you.

Comment

Working...
                    X