Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What happened to 910 am

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
    Good point. It's possible, I suppose. But when two companies buy up 90 percent of the stations, the loss of local content becomes a certainty.
    True. That willingness to compromise on profitability does impact things a bit.

In the same way that having independent liquor stores provides for more variety than you'd get with the mfr. owned/affiliated ones elsewhere, you might get a bit -more- local content.

But I think all local ownership would do is stem the tide a bit, rather then stop it outright.

Comment

Part of the problem is that even if a station group like Brookings Radio is making money, they end up having to try to pick up the stations in the ownership group that may be lacking. I think that if a person looked at the financials of what it costs to run the place as compared to what the revenue is you would see how much is going to other places.
      -South Dakotan by birth, a Jackrabbit by choice.

Comment

Speaking from an outsiders point of view and someone who knows nothing about the radio business standpoint but just speaking from consumer's point of view...I have a feeling the radio woes are going to get worse before they get better if radio just stays "status quo"

Just looking at what SDSU does with it's streaming of a lot of the basketball and football games...at some point I'm going to be sitting out in the middle of nowhere watching it on my Blackberry or IPhone, whereas before I would have had the radio in my ear listening. I would say HUGE changes will be coming in how we listen and view sporting events in the future and the Radio industry must come up with a way to stay relevant or it could go the way of the typewriter. The "smartphone" IMO is going to revolutionize the way we live our lives in the next 5-10 years.

Another example is the DVD players in your car or your Navigation systems. How long before I'm watching my 6:00 rerun of Seinfeld on my way home from work, or the first half of the Jacks double-header on my way to B-Town, because I'm running late? Probably not very safe, but I do believe this is the future and IMO it doesn't bode well for radio.

Good discussion though...I love thinking about where technology will take us in the next 15-20 years! I remember using the internet for the first time in 1996...how much has changed with that in only 13-14 years??

Go Jacks!!
        SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by propar80 View Post
          Another example is the DVD players in your car or your Navigation systems. How long before I'm watching my 6:00 rerun of Seinfeld on my way home from work, or the first half of the Jacks double-header on my way to B-Town, because I'm running late? Probably not very safe, but I do believe this is the future and IMO it doesn't bode well for radio.
          Go Jacks!!
          Hope I'm coming from a different direction.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

I think radio has a good future outlook Many studies have shown that radio is a very compelling medium because listeners are engaged with it in a way they often are not engaged with television. People listening to radio are using part of their brain to actually make the pictures in their heads. They're focused on words and translating them into images. They're connecting with the voice and persona without distracting visuals.

It can be very powerful. There will continue to be changes in technology and in programming trends, but I think radio in some form or another (satellite, streamed wirelessly or transmitted like it is today) will be around for a while.
            Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
              I think radio has a good future outlook Many studies have shown that radio is a very compelling medium because listeners are engaged with it in a way they often are not engaged with television. People listening to radio are using part of their brain to actually make the pictures in their heads. They're focused on words and translating them into images. They're connecting with the voice and persona without distracting visuals.
              I've read stories on this also and always came away wondering why this isn't raised as an issue in the distracted driving debates. Research has shown that using hands free cell phones dangerously distracts drivers, and I know many people that talk back to their radios.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                I've read stories on this also and always came away wondering why this isn't raised as an issue in the distracted driving debates. Research has shown that using hands free cell phones dangerously distracts drivers, and I know many people that talk back to their radios.
                Actually, studies show that for a driver one of the most distracting things possible in a car is a passenger . . .

We're WAY off topic now, aren't we?
                Last edited by filbert; 02-03-2010, 06:48 PM. Reason: slightly more comprehensible word order
                "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Working...
                X