Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• leeshajo
    replied
    Re: Great West River basketball players..

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Scott Morgan- Mitchell, Scott Beckstrand-Lincoln or probably the best HS Player ever in the state Eric Kline-Aberdeen Central. Jason Sutherland-Watertown, Josh Mueller- West Central, Eric Lappe-Harrold, Brent Lindskov-Isabel, Steve Arends-Emery, Cody King, Lyman, Chuck Welke-Warner, Craig Cheeseman-Hanson, Joe Kieffer-Howard.

I was just thinking of some guys and typing some names as the best to play.

thought?
    Craig Cheesman, from Hanson, what a throw back, I was a 8th grader when they won the last two section Class B tourn. He was good even when my dad coached him in Junior High.

Leave a comment:

• SDHoops
    replied

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    ...got to thinking about some real fine players from Custer (1990-present):

Trevor Long
    Mike Dortan
    Jay Steele
    Paul Schaffer
    Derek Ballard
    Lance Luitjens
    Derek Paulsen
    Paige Paulsen

Larry Luitjens seemed to have his team in the State A's every year.
    Jake Roddy, who graduated from Custer in 2009, was one heck of a guard. He didn't have much help. Could beat pretty much any player off of the dribble. As I recall, he got most of his points from driving rather than outside shots. At 5'10" he was really quick. Lack of height probably kept college coaches from calling but I read in the RC Journal that he is attending Colorado State and doing well.

Leave a comment:

• jacks1
    replied

...got to thinking about some real fine players from Custer (1990-present):

Trevor Long
    Mike Dortan
    Jay Steele
    Paul Schaffer
    Derek Ballard
    Lance Luitjens
    Derek Paulsen
    Paige Paulsen

Larry Luitjens seemed to have his team in the State A's every year.
    Last edited by jacks1; 12-05-2009, 03:28 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks-02
    replied

Originally posted by RabbitNation View Post
    Has anyone mentioned Scott Morgan- Mitchell, Scott Beckstrand-Lincoln or probably the best HS Player ever in the state Eric Kline-Aberdeen Central. Jason Sutherland-Watertown, Josh Mueller- West Central, Eric Lappe-Harrold, Brent Lindskov-Isabel, Steve Arends-Emery, Cody King, Lyman, Chuck Welke-Warner, Craig Cheeseman-Hanson, Joe Kieffer-Howard.

thought?

Some good players there, but isn't the title of the thread Great West River Basketball Players? King and Lindskov are the only players listed from West River, but I would agree that they were both very good.

Could also add Denver Tenbroek from Macintosh and Begeman (can't recall first name) from Isabel if they haven't been mentioned.

Leave a comment:

• RabbitNation
    replied

thought?

Leave a comment:

• RabbitNation
    replied

Originally posted by jacks1 View Post
    Keith Moore (Lyman High School '85 & Northern State Univ.)

First time I read this thread but Moore was a great player!

Leave a comment:

• jacks1
    replied

Keith Moore (Lyman High School '85 & Northern State Univ.)

Leave a comment:

• ringthebells
    replied

Anybody remember Terry Shigg from RCC? He lived a few doors down from my family. Great kid and amazing athlete. I remember watching him dunk during a junior high game. I believe he went on to play at Kentucky.

Leave a comment:

• HoboD
    replied

Doug Herrmann Custer first team all state 79. All state in football, basketball and state champion in the shot. 3 year starter for D-line with Nebraska; 2 years with the Redskins. His daughter Kelly is a freshman on the Jacks vollyeball team.

Leave a comment:

• boxerboy
    replied

Your right, back then the State B's ruled. That was a great game.

Leave a comment:

• NoVaJack
    replied

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
    I was there in person when Jess Hart lit up De Smet in the semifinals of the 1999 State Class A HS tournament in Rapid City. He went off for 45-50 points and in that game, yes, he was unstoppable. An untimely, stupid foul around the half court line took him out late in the game which De Smet ended up winning, I beleive in overtime. It was one of the most exciting and dramatic sporting events I've ever seen to this day. De Smet went on to beat Josh Mueller's West Central team in the finals.

The game itself is, without a doubt, one of the best ever in South Dakota HS basketball history. I believe this game was brought up many times on this board in a thread discussing the best basketball games ever. I can't seem to find it tough. Someone help me out!

I'm not going to say if Jess Hart was the best ever. He'd certainly be in the argument though. I do remember hearing about the K-State & Kansas talk as well but I know his grades weren't good enough in high school to get him into a 4-year school. Ultimately, right or wrong, his lack of a post high school career takes him out of running for "best ever."
    Best B championship ever in my mind was back when there were 200-some plus B schools and only two classes. It was the '69 game, Onida 93, DeSmet 90. Absolute back-and-forth shootout from beginning to end.

Leave a comment:

• gojacksgo
    replied

Here is cuople you to add in the mix:

Dewayne Pean was pretty solid before moving to NC(I think?)

Denver Tenbroek played at NDSU and now overseas.

Keith Cutler

Zach Finley(STM) now at Princeton

David Laqua(Bennett County) to Northern then Hawaii-Hilo I think.

Leave a comment:

• SDHoops
    replied

Matt Martin, Spearfish
    Freddie Knife, Eagle Butte
    Terry Cuny, Rapid City Central

Leave a comment:

• MikeHenriksen
    replied

Derek had not decided where he was going to attend college.

Leave a comment:

• Jacks15
    replied

I thought Derek Paulson was headed to Stanford. The thing I remember Paulson doing is hitting the game winning shot in the 1998 state tourney championship game.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X