SD BOR Report

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: SD BOR Report

That really does raise some questions. I'm assuming USD's general activity fee is similar to SDSU's, yet they only took in $960K versus $2.4 million. Part of that is just the fact that USD has fewer FTE students than SDSU by a long shot. Part-time students = fewer credits = fewer fee dollars.

I know SDSU teaches many, many more credit hours than USD, but that fee difference is a real shocker nonetheless. Also, what are they renting for $200K a year? Why do they only have $282K in corporate sponsorships? Bookstore revenues are 1/3 of SDSU's.

It's really a devastating report for USD and raises serious questions about how they're going to afford to be competitive in D1.
    Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Very....Very interesting. Will tough questions get asked by the media, as surely they would if these numbers were reversed, or will it just get swiped under the rug of everything that is "transition"??

A few things I observed:
      1.) How is USD showing a $26,820 gain...I'm coming up with ($24,487)? I must be missing something considering that's a $50K swing. (Got it. $51K in cash reserves from last year).
      2.) SDSU has almost THREE times the gate receipts than all the other SDBOR institutions COMBINED.
      3.) USD's guarantee's are $386,000 and SDSU's is $455,155. Didn't USD play TWO guarantee games and a bunch of guarantee MBB games against big-name teams. Might want to negotiate better next year.
      4.) IMO we both need to do better in the Donation(s) category, but SDSU is waaaay ahead in Coorportate donations. Thank you Brookings! Huge disadvantage for USD being in Vermillion, IMO.
      5.) Is SDSU really spending $1M+ on Equestrian? That's a higher budget than Men's and Women's BB, since I'm assuming the $1.782M under BB is for both. Personally, I don't like seeing this, but understand the Title IX reasons. And with that being said, USD's feet should be held to the fire to have to get their Title IX house in order and if that is spending and extra $500K to $1M to become compliant, so be it. Why should SDSU be held to higher standards...I'm sure Stig would take an extra $1M in heartbeat.

All in all...like other's have said, the hard questions need to be raised to the USD Athletic Dept and President. Could you imagine if they would've had to go to the Big Sky??
      Go Jacks!!
      Last edited by propar80; 12-09-2010, 01:11 PM.
      SDSU...Passionate, Relentless, Champions.

Comment

Originally posted by JimmyJack View Post
        It's really a devastating report for USD and raises serious questions about how they're going to afford to be competitive in D1.
        When (or is it IF?) they have to start dealing with Title 9, the revenue needed will become even greater. Toss in the fact that when the transition is done, they will have to deal with the NCAA Division I requirements for staffing (assistant coaches, etc.) and the revenue picture will need some major improvements.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacks#1Fan View Post
          When (or is it IF?) they have to start dealing with Title 9, the revenue needed will become even greater. Toss in the fact that when the transition is done, they will have to deal with the NCAA Division I requirements for staffing (assistant coaches, etc.) and the revenue picture will need some major improvements.
          That would make a great enterprise news story, wouldn't it. I wonder if anybody will take it on.
          Holy nutmeg!

Comment

While I agree that this isn't a very good report for USD, it isn't exactly good for us either. This is the FY10 report so these are numbers from 2009-2010 school year.

1. Our gate receipts last year are the best they've ever been and we won't come close to that this year. Last year we had a handful of highly attended home football games for an average of 13,265. This year we weren't even close to that number (10,023). Granted this year's 10,023 is still better than USD this year (8346) and we still averaged more people at our games than Coughlin-Alumni seats. Also, USD has never been known to be a school that counts very well but that may have changed now with a new AD.

Based on the numbers so far this year, I don't see our basketball attendance making up for that lost revenue.

So, our gate receipts will be down by quite a bit this year.

2. We ran close to a $100,000 deficit last year. While USD's revenue was much lower than ours, at least they came through in the black.

Just my thoughts and trying to look at these numbers without blue and yellow colored glasses. Please critique these thoughs as I would love to be wrong on anything I included above!

Comment

That really does raise some questions. I'm assuming USD's general activity fee is similar to SDSU's, yet they only took in $960K versus $2.4 million. Part of that is just the fact that USD has fewer FTE students than SDSU by a long shot. Part-time students = fewer credits = fewer fee dollars.

I know SDSU teaches many, many more credit hours than USD, but that fee difference is a real shocker nonetheless. Also, what are they renting for $200K a year? Why do they only have $282K in corporate sponsorships? Bookstore revenues are 1/3 of SDSU's.

They rent out the Dome, and use that money to fund athletics instead of make improvements to the Dome.
              LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Originally posted by 2002jack View Post
                They rent out the Dome, and use that money to fund athletics instead of make improvements to the Dome.
                Yup, I thought of that after I posted. High school football playoffs and such.
                Holy nutmeg!

Comment

Originally posted by BTownJack View Post
                  While I agree that this isn't a very good report for USD, it isn't exactly good for us either. This is the FY10 report so these are numbers from 2009-2010 school year.

1. Our gate receipts last year are the best they've ever been and we won't come close to that this year. Last year we had a handful of highly attended home football games for an average of 13,265. This year we weren't even close to that number (10,023). Granted this year's 10,023 is still better than USD this year (8346) and we still averaged more people at our games than Coughlin-Alumni seats. Also, USD has never been known to be a school that counts very well but that may have changed now with a new AD.

Based on the numbers so far this year, I don't see our basketball attendance making up for that lost revenue.

So, our gate receipts will be down by quite a bit this year.

2. We ran close to a $100,000 deficit last year. While USD's revenue was much lower than ours, at least they came through in the black.

Just my thoughts and trying to look at these numbers without blue and yellow colored glasses. Please critique these thoughs as I would love to be wrong on anything I included above!
                  Can't argue with that. But I'd sure rather be SDSU in that report than USD. They've got some major, major financial challenges ahead.
                  Holy nutmeg!

Comment

I know SDSU teaches many, many more credit hours than USD, but that fee difference is a real shocker nonetheless.
                    There is a BOR report on projected credit hours too. Available here: http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...MMB1210I-F.pdf

On the bottom of page 2, SDSU is projected to have 265,322 credits this year and USD 164,937. Now, I need to do some research because I think credit hours at the Law and Med school have a lower General Activity Fee but highter tuition. That would result in USD having even less general activity fee then their lower credit amount results in. I will do some checking on that but for now there are the credit hour projections.

Comment

I don't believe USD's law and med school are included in those figures. I've always been under the understanding when it comes to reports those two act as seperate entities.

Our home football schedule for the years in this report was horrible, the opponents and attendance were better this year. Having a good conference home for football and basketball in the coming years will help improve USD's numbers in all areas dramatically.

I take any report with a grain of salt because of how reporting isn't always comparing apples to apples. That said, I think both schools have areas they need to work on and USD should worry about what USD needs to do get better and SDSU needs to worry about what SDSU needs to do get better, and both schools should quite worrying about the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by Yote53 View Post
                        I think both schools have areas they need to work on and USD should worry about what USD needs to do get better and SDSU needs to worry about what SDSU needs to do get better, and both schools should quite worrying about the other one.
                        There is much wisdom in this . . .

We'll have a much better idea how USD will do in D-I after you've finished the transition and had a year or two in the Summit and the MVFC . . . getting your conference situation finalized (especially for football) was a huge hurdle to get over.

The MVFC is already in the top tier of FCS conferences. If the Summit can build some momentum in men's basketball I think there's a chance the league could legitimately begin to rival the Valley in name and in influence--a few years down the road. (A rising tide/conference lifts all boats/schools.)

All of that comes back to facilities, which at both SDSU and USD are completely inadequate. The NDSU basketball games demonstrated (to me, anyway) that Frost Arena as a D-I basketball venue is not adequate. The restrooms are completely inadequate to handle a crowd of 5,000, as are the concessions. The seating needs significant upgrades.

I'm just ranting now. I'll quit . . .
                        "I think we'll be OK"

Comment

Originally posted by filbert View Post
                          All of that comes back to facilities, which at both SDSU and USD are completely inadequate. The NDSU basketball games demonstrated (to me, anyway) that Frost Arena as a D-I basketball venue is not adequate. The restrooms are completely inadequate to handle a crowd of 5,000, as are the concessions. The seating needs significant upgrades.

This is true, but just think, we used to get 8,000 to 9,000 fans in Frost some nights. Seems unreal now. They really need to open concessions back up on first floor.

Comment

I hinted at the opportunities to make a positive impression for the NDSU game. I wasn't impressed by much of anything. Frost may be a great venue to play a game in but it is far from fan friendly at this point.
                            We are here to add what we can to life, not get what we can from life. -Sir William Osler

We do not see things as they are, we see things as we are.

Comment

There is much wisdom in this . . .

you were doing well, is anyone making a list of this stuff?
                              "The most rewarding things you do in life, are often the ones that look like they cannot be done.” Arnold Palmer

Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things.

Comment

The link was not working for awhile. The report is now available at this site.

http://www.sdbor.edu/theboard/agenda...I-Grevised.pdf

Comment

Working...
                                X