Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Call for an Argus apology

Originally posted by sfjacksfan99 View Post
    I found it very convenient the front pages of the Argus were black and white the day after the Summit League title. Then today the page with the breakdown of today's game had a big crease going down the middle making it hard to read the capsule for the game. Coincidence...I think not.
    Wow, mistakes happen. This was nothing but a coincidence. You can't really think the Argus did this on purpose can you? The newspaper industry is fading and the Argus isn't going to piss off a lot of their readers, and subscribers, to make a point. What would the Argus gain from this? Nothing.

I know you think it's a little fishy, but I highly doubt it was on purpose

Comment

I am neutral on the Argus, I suppose. I find it odd that some are so terribly critical of the Argus when the same paper has seen fit to hire a great writer in Terry Vandrovec, and assign him to cover SDSU. That's a substantial commitment of resources when newspapers are trying to cut back on expenses. Just my two-cents' worth.

Comment

Originally posted by JackJD View Post
        I am neutral on the Argus, I suppose. I find it odd that some are so terribly critical of the Argus when the same paper has seen fit to hire a great writer in Terry Vandrovec, and assign him to cover SDSU. That's a substantial commitment of resources when newspapers are trying to cut back on expenses. Just my two-cents' worth.
        I have to reluctantly agree with you, JD. They really do get under your skin sometimes, but they did give us TV. We can be forever grateful for that in looking at the other options that were available.

Comment

And don't forget Chris before TV. The Argus has stepped up its coverage and we have started subscribing in large part due to this.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Quite a while ago, Randall Beck wrote an Editorial congratulating SDSU on a successful transistion, and basically admitted the Argus and others were incorrect. At least that's the way I interepreted the Editorial.
            LET'S TAKE A TRIP TO BIRDLAND! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68-6O2mJhMw

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

The Argus and KWSN have stepped it up. Now it's up to SDSU to keep up the success.

I did notice that Mick Garry (USD writer) covered the Madison game and made no mention of Fiegen and White being SDSU commits (Stu covered the W'town 3rd place game and made mention of "the 6'7 University of South Dakota signee"). The only mention from Garry was "Platte-Geddes had to have liked the fact that they'd held a team with a pair of Division I recruits to 25 points". The score was 48-40.

Comment

Originally posted by TeaJackrabbit View Post

I did notice that Mick Garry (USD writer) covered the Madison game and made no mention of Fiegen and White being SDSU commits (Stu covered the W'town 3rd place game and made mention of "the 6'7 University of South Dakota signee"). The only mention from Garry was "Platte-Geddes had to have liked the fact that they'd held a team with a pair of Division I recruits to 25 points". The score was 48-40.
                  He did mention them in the semi-final game article.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...19/1002/sports

Comment

Originally posted by UWMandSDSU View Post
                    He did mention them in the semi-final game article.

http://www.argusleader.com/article/2...19/1002/sports
                    And their commitment has been mentioned approximately 10,402 other times in the Argus over the course of the past three years.

IMHO, it's time for a lot of folks on this site to start to give the Argus a break. Their coverage of SDSU, The Summit League tourneys, and now the NCAA's has been fantastic. Many seem anxious to bow down to Terry Vandrovec at any turn (and it's well deserved), but don't offer the same appreciation for his boss or the company that allows him to cover the Jacks the way he does. What really gets at me are the posters that bash Stu or the Argus coverage on TV's live blogs and chats...cripes, how wierd and uncomfortable is that for Terry to deal with.
                    "I'd like to thank the good Lord for making me a Yankee." - Joe D.

Comment

Originally posted by jackrabbit1979 View Post
                      And their commitment has been mentioned approximately 10,402 other times in the Argus over the course of the past three years.

IMHO, it's time for a lot of folks on this site to start to give the Argus a break. Their coverage of SDSU, The Summit League tourneys, and now the NCAA's has been fantastic. Many seem anxious to bow down to Terry Vandrovec at any turn (and it's well deserved), but don't offer the same appreciation for his boss or the company that allows him to cover the Jacks the way he does. What really gets at me are the posters that bash Stu or the Argus coverage on TV's live blogs and chats...cripes, how wierd and uncomfortable is that for Terry to deal with.
                      I agree. The coverage the Argus has given SDSU athletics this past year and actually the past several years has in my opinion been outstanding. They are not the SDSU's public relations arm and shouldn't be, so we have no right to expect them to mention SDSU in every possible article. I think it is time we said thanks to the Argus for being big enough to move from their position of 5 years ago to their acknowledged position currently. I doubt that you will find many daily papers anywhere that have had local college athletics on the front page of the news section as many times as the Argus has had SDSU there over the past few weeks.

Comment

I think what bothers people, atleast me is how negative they were when SDSU was considering it, how they praised USD for staying D-II..... Then when USD went D-I they were all for it....

Coverage wise? They have been great, Terry is great, the staff writters are great, but I think its those exclusive articles that Stu has wrote that makes me mad.... Not that I really care what Stu thinks...

Comment

I'll go back to what I said earlier...I just wish the Argus folks would say they were wrong. Why? Because I will guarantee you if we weren't doing well there would be a bombardment of "We told you it wouldn't work." Short of that, just congratulate SDSU for having the guts to take a risk.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbell View Post
                            I'll go back to what I said earlier...I just wish the Argus folks would say they were wrong. Why? Because I will guarantee you if we weren't doing well there would be a bombardment of "We told you it wouldn't work." Short of that, just congratulate SDSU for having the guts to take a risk.
                            If your waiting for a direct admission they were wrong it's not going to happen. I think with the level of press and having a full time beat writer the quality of TV that is good enough for me. You have to admit it was a pretty easy position for them to take and indeed we have beaten the odds so far!

Comment

I don't have the link handy, but today the Argus did a huge disservice to Mankato State women's team and their players from SD. In article supposed to be about them winning the D2 National Tourney, a shot is taken at SDSU for not playing on the "real ESPN2." The story also indicated that the MSU-Mankato story was lost in "all the hoopla over SDSU making the tournament."

Why put those things in the story? Oh, and by the way, I was in Mankato today and stopped at a gas station. Had my SDSU hat on and got asked about the story (they were just getting back from SF) and they wondered what the deal was. I told them I wondered the same thing.

You can't teach an old dog new tricks, but you can never teach a stupid dog anything.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stRowFANatic View Post
                                I don't have the link handy, but today the Argus did a huge disservice to Mankato State women's team and their players from SD. In article supposed to be about them winning the D2 National Tourney, a shot is taken at SDSU for not playing on the "real ESPN2." The story also indicated that the MSU-Mankato story was lost in "all the hoopla over SDSU making the tournament."

Why put those things in the story? Oh, and by the way, I was in Mankato today and stopped at a gas station. Had my SDSU hat on and got asked about the story (they were just getting back from SF) and they wondered what the deal was. I told them I wondered the same thing.
                                The argus is natorious for adding stupid little things into there articles like that....

Comment

Working...
                                X